MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music Theory (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   scales to learn etc (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26633)

123smokey 2005-12-28 22:00

scales to learn etc

ive been playing for about a year now and can come up with some pretty good stuff for my exp.

but what i want to know is , i cant read sheet music for guitar but what scales and excersices should i be learning for the intermidiate death metal player
im guessing alot of solos are built on scales and i can improve on them if i know the average scales played

any help much appreciated

JacksonGuitars07 2005-12-28 22:21

Firstly, I'm going to save you from a flaming. Please use the search feature first, and browse the forum before posting a question on a topic already covered. Learn some diminished and harmonic minor scale patterns, as well as your minor sweep arpeggios and I think you should be all set.

123smokey 2005-12-29 00:11

thanks , i did read post and use the search. i can never find a straight forward answer , just needed some more info

davie_gravy 2005-12-29 02:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123smokey
thanks , i did read post and use the search. i can never find a straight forward answer , just needed some more info

Jackson pretty much said it for death metal. Minor scales - natural, harmonic, etc - The Diminished Bastard - Whole/Half, Half/Whole. Learn the major scale too, it will help build tension or help resolve it. Don't limit yourself!

YJM04 2005-12-29 12:42

natural, harmonic, melodic minor, major. diminished. also, learn how to play each double octave, it helps alot. remeber that each scale has its own unique set of modes. make sure u use these. remeber the patterns for the scales. once u learn the double octave, then start to try and sweep.

Unanything 2005-12-30 10:27

ORRRR.....

Make up your own!
Of course, they won't be entirely made up because each has a name in theory but...

It's most fascinating when you get your scale's modes as well. You can get some wild tonalities.

[------------1-]
[------0-3-4---]
[0-2-3---------]

Here's one that I've been playing around in. One of it's modes is very pentatonicky. It's brilliant.

What's the melodic minor's formula again?

davie_gravy 2005-12-30 16:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unanything
What's the melodic minor's formula again?

1,2,b3,4,5,6,7

JacksonGuitars07 2005-12-30 22:58

Some of the tritone stuff works as well, but don't ask me I'm not a theory expert. Hence half the threads in this music theory forum are mine :P. Hope I helped some. I don't know about melodic minor for death metal, just doesn't seem to give the same feel, but maybe I just use it wrong. Also, don't forget your chord inversions and such.

[EDIT] Also, I forgot to mention, use diminished arpeggios to add a nice lead elemen to your uber brutality.

123smokey 2006-01-01 18:20

can you kinda explain what whole/half half/ whole
its whole step half step half step etc...?
i tried to find tab to this deminished bastard but no go

is it like

yea im confused with this