MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vocal Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Women growling (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26336)

Amadeus 2005-12-17 11:16

Women growling

Sure sure, I could browse the forums and pick up some info here and there. But now I'm interested in discussion as much as just the facts. So:
I've become familiar with growling this last year, but insofar I've never heards a female growl. That "Response to Power's emo song" by l'b'xxx (who else) sparked my curiosity though - are there female growlers out there, and in which bands? The woman voice has never struck me as very growling friendly, but as I said I've never heard it myself.
Now - the word is free.

Transient 2005-12-17 11:41

angella glasgow - arch enemy

powersofterror 2005-12-17 13:55

I think the singer of Rancid is a woman. Though that's a punk band, she's very butch.

twiztid rage 2005-12-17 14:21

the singer from rancid is a man I think you are talking about his ex wife who is in a punk band but i can not remember the name and she is pretty hot

Casketcrusher 2005-12-17 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
angella glasgow - arch enemy

Yeah but she is terrible at vocals.

Robbie Filth 2005-12-17 15:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztid rage
the singer from rancid is a man I think you are talking about his ex wife who is in a punk band but i can not remember the name and she is pretty hot

Brode Dalle?

surely you can't mean her she is fucking horrific!!!!!!

Anyway when i saw akercocke at download festival two years back there was a woman doing fucking amazing gutterals i was like :eek:

Amadeus 2005-12-18 10:59

I find that quite amazing. But then again, there are many people that can do quite amazing things with their voice, no matter the gender.
Say, is there any band with a female growler that you'd recommend, i.e. is good music?

Cassius 2005-12-18 14:49

I quite like Arch Enemy..

Transient 2005-12-18 14:59

i saw otep on tv last night. theres one scarey chick vocalist

genocide circus 2005-12-18 16:26

Thorr's Hammer

(yes with two r's in Thorr)

A short lived band of Steve O'Malley from Burning Witch, Sunn O))), and about 30 other doom metal bands. with a hot blonde norwegian vocalist chick. They released one album, look it up if you like doom or want to hear some brutal female vox.

L,B'XXX 2005-12-18 18:42

Amadeus--I saw that. ;)

Well, I used to be able to growl when I got really irritated about something and did the whole teeth clenching, gutteral sounding, build up to a blood curdling spewing of almost tangible words, but then I grew out of being a teenager and didn't do it much after that. I'll have to try it again sometime if I can muster the effort and no one is home.

Amadeus 2005-12-19 00:03

I have no idea what you are talking about.

There is something new to learn with every well placed question. And why wait until you are alone at home? You can have quite fun with it really; just think about it, everyone:
You come home, call out "mom, I'm going out tonight, I won't have time to help clean up" and get confronted with a guttural growl dredged up from the slopes of hell. That would have most you standing at attention, all plans not including a vaccum cleaner and silver polish long since forgotten. Admit it.

Thanks for all the suggestions; I'll look some of them up.

Meesh 2005-12-19 07:29

And theres that band 'Walls of Jericho'. I'm pretty sure they had a chick singer. Mind you that was four years ago, I can't even really remeber what they sound like. Hardcore metal type shit if I remeber correctly.

The Angry Hobbit 2005-12-19 14:42

check out Bloodlined Caligraphy. that chick is amazing!

Innards-Decay 2005-12-19 15:58

Angela Glasgow layers her vocals on albums, and from what I've heard, live she is shit. Most chicks can't do growls, and the ones who can.... I wouldn't fuck.

Throat Crusher 2005-12-19 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innards-Decay
Angela Glasgow layers her vocals on albums, and from what I've heard, live she is shit. Most chicks can't do growls, and the ones who can.... I wouldn't fuck.

Your sources are bullshit my freind. I saw her live, and almost splooged. It was tottaly worth it. Although i got her on the first or second day of their Ozzfest Summer Tour. Fucking little bitch ass ozzy canceld his appearnce lol. =) Otep is ok, but she is layerd screaming i think, otep isnt bad live either. If i remember this band, its extremely brutal, has a chick singer. They have a bass player, drummer, and a vocalist... so its crazily raw. Ill find out and post a link.

Innards-Decay 2005-12-19 16:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throat Crusher
Your sources are bullshit my freind. I saw her live, and almost splooged. It was tottaly worth it. Although i got her on the first or second day of their Ozzfest Summer Tour. Fucking little bitch ass ozzy canceld his appearnce lol. =) Otep is ok, but she is layerd screaming i think, otep isnt bad live either. If i remember this band, its extremely brutal, has a chick singer. They have a bass player, drummer, and a vocalist... so its crazily raw. Ill find out and post a link.

Possibly thors hammer. Their vocalist is the only chick I've heard that is halfway decent. Death metal is a chauvanistic genre and I'm perfectly comfortable with the superior gender acting as the ruling class.

EDIT:And yes, Angela layers her vocals on the CD. Not even Frank Mullen could get that thick of vocals without effects.

powersofterror 2005-12-19 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcrusher
Yeah but she is terrible at vocals.

Then you haven't heard any of their new album, because she's got quite a crunchy, manly growl.

Innards, she is very hot too.

Innards-Decay 2005-12-19 18:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror
Innards, she is very hot too.

:sickface: :sickface:

No.

Plus she's married to Michael Ammot.

ahumansdystopia 2005-12-19 18:59

well the last band I was in we had a chick singer and her growls were bad ass if you want to hear some out of really shitty recoring you can on www.myspace.com/helplv.