MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bass Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   playing and singing (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2574)

Gigantic Penis 2002-07-28 00:40

playing and singing

is it harder to play bass and sing than it is to play guitar and sing? the bass is bigger so i thought it might be. Glen Benton and Pete Steele both play bass and sing, but their both pretty huge people so the size of the bass probably doesn't affect them.

Tattered 2002-07-28 04:48

i dont know what u mean by the size of the instrument or whatever

but yeah u need to be pretty talented to play bass and sing at the same time

like tom araya :D

Lord Arioch 2002-07-28 05:09

to get your voice and your bass playing at the same time require a lot
of work . for some it will be easier. one good thing is to learn how to dissociate
the different parts of your body like the drummer does

I sing and play guitar and bass I didn't find that singing with the bass was harder than singing
with the guitar it's the opposite

Gigantic Penis 2002-07-28 11:22

Quote:
Originally posted by tatter3d
i dont know what u mean by the size of the instrument or whatever

basses are bigger then guitars, they have bigger frets, which means longer necks.

Digitalillusion 2002-08-01 15:45

its not as hard as it looks

i sing and play at the same time, and the guitar player in my band does, to get use to it start playing and talking, then playing and singing. its easy when you get corrdinated(how ever the hell yo u spell it) :stoned:

Def 2002-08-18 09:52

I play bass and do some screamo shit at the same time, it's not easy.
just singing is easy, and grunting is also easy, but high pitched screams are really difficult when playing bass.

I can't figure out why and I want to improve my technique cuz it's difficult to keep the rythm on the bass when screaming... :S

Tattered 2002-08-18 12:14

if the lyrics sort of go with the riff or whatever your playing then yeah it seems easy.

Gigantic Penis 2002-08-19 23:17

Quote:
Originally posted by *Def-Fx*
I play bass and do some screamo shit at the same time, it's not easy.
just singing is easy, and grunting is also easy, but high pitched screams are really difficult when playing bass.

I can't figure out why and I want to improve my technique cuz it's difficult to keep the rythm on the bass when screaming... :S

i would assume its because when you scream, you are holding the note which makes it hard to play cuz you cant look down and your bass.

Def 2002-08-20 03:10

yeah, kinda, I think, it's harder to switch notes or something... it's pretty silly cuz when I grunt or sing with a normal voice, singing and playing is pretty easy..

but yeah, I guess you're right.

shittybassist 2002-08-31 11:37

i can sing and play for some songs (back in black-ac/dc, longview-green day) but i can't for others (come as you are-nirvana) and i have a question, can any of you play enter sandman by metallica? i hate their new shit (that song w/ ja rule, what the hell were they thinking) but their old shit fucking rocks....

Tattered 2002-08-31 14:35

Im not really into metallica or ac/dc that much, well i havent heard anything from ac/dc that i know of all my mates think there bollock (but thats there opinion) and i only have 1 metallica album, but u cant hear the bass that much on it, except for the pulling teeth solo (anesthesia) which is amazing. But ill try and check out some ac/dc

but about the topic, i can sing along to slayers disciple :D and sex murder art

walpurgis 2002-08-31 20:34

First off, I can play Enter Sandman, it's pretty simple.

Secondly, no Metallica opinions. We can talk about them factually, but that's it.

Third, if you're wondering, tatter3d, the Metallica album you're talking about is Kill 'Em All, and the bass doesn't stand out much in most of the songs.

Tattered 2002-09-01 04:19

Quote:
Originally posted by walpurgis

Kill 'Em All.

Yeah thats the one, i was gonna put 'Master of puppets' i completely forgot.

powersofterror 2002-09-12 19:34

what, no one has said Getty Lee yet??!?
*sigh*:rolleyes:

Tattered 2002-09-13 14:04

:confused:

Cthulhu0610 2002-09-24 18:15

i think playing gutiar and singing is harder then bass and singing. like bass is more the feel and beat of the song for the most part, but isn't always true, like some bands I.E. Primus the bass is pretty much the whole song damn near. i give him props for being able to do that shit and sing...if that's what you wanna call it at the same time;)