MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Drums Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Overrated Drummers (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25445)

The Execrator 2005-11-06 11:32

Overrated Drummers

Ok, some drummers get alot more credit than they should. Feel free to argue but don't turn it into a "THIS DRUMMER IS BETTER THAN...!!11!!!1", or it will get closed really fast.

I would have to go with Flo. Everybody worships him, yet his playing is sloppy as hell, and his drum kit sounds horrible. His playing is very annoying to me.

And John Bonham. He's rated as one of the top drummers of all time, yet he didn't do anything special. He didn't do any cool rudiments or fills, it was just modern playing. I read in a magazine once " Yes, anybody can play that Zeppelin song, but could anyone else could have come up with that drum part?". Fuck that.

Transient 2005-11-06 11:58

fuck bonham, he sucks. thats about all i can think of for overrated drummers though, i agree with flo, hes sloppy as hell. his snare rhytms ATROCIOUS

low-tech 2005-11-06 12:31

bonham changed the drumset, he had huge customized sets, deep toms,bigger bass drums. the industry change since after to make bigger kits, gongs,double bass kits and so on. so i think part of his legacy was his sound being influencal along with his skill. overrated.......i dont know, the guy had the "presence", people could tolerate hour long drum solos whereas other drummers would be written off as pretensious, ego inflated show offs. he also knew when to hold back, he played what made the song sound good, not just playing showy fills at the end of every measure. a final note is he died young, so there are alot of what ifs about how he would evolve as a drummer.
i personally wasnt really much into led zepplin when i started getting into hardcore,grind,metal. but over the years im really getting to appreciate them. but i can see in the context of the mans skill some can make the claim.

i think neil peart is overrated, for the last 20 years he is regarded as the fucking ayahtollah of all things drums by magazines. and i say this in kind coz i like early rush and i think hes a damn good drummer, its just hes been touted as the end all be all no questions asked. i realized this when he did "the burning of buddy rich" album. i saw documentary footage of him doing one of buddy's big band songs......after i had watch about an hour of a buddy rich documentary. he threw down a very simplified reindition of the drums whereas you'd expect something no less than a note by note, beat by beat cover. it was so dumbed down its not even worth a listen. i also watch other drummers contribution recording/preforming with buddy richs old band and they did a far better job, i cant emphisize how much better the others were. the actual songs buddy did are not the most complex thing in the world for those with a modest swing experience, buddy always played straightforward big band stuff. he was far from progressive in terms of musical style.

lots of people say lars ulrich is overrated, but i like his playing. and he was always compared to popular hair metal drummers of his time when metallica first made it. he was a run of the mill thrash drummer, but compare a run of the mill thrash drummer to anyone making mainstream so called "heavy metal" ie glam rock crap and yeah he'll seem like bruce fucking lee compared to tommy lee and whoever played for warrant,skid row,def leperd,ratt,slaughter etc

rabbifoodslicer 2005-11-06 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-tech
lots of people say lars ulrich is overrated,

1. he sucks
2. he sucks live
3. hes a prick. i saw them live and he is one of the biggest fucken douchbag drummers ive ever seen. "HEY DO YOU WANT MY STICKS!!!!! WELL TO FUCKEN BAD IM GONNA SPIT ON YOU INSTEAD" --lars. he would actually hold out his sticks just out of reach of the crowd and then pull them back and fucken spit on them!!! [/rant]

The Execrator 2005-11-06 13:00

Yeah, I agree with you low-tech. He had that big ass bass drum. His kit always sounds huge on the Zeppelin recordings. I just hate seeing him on the top 100 drummers of all time list. The top 100 list is basically just popularity, not skill.

Lars is an ok drummer. He is in no way overrated. Everybody just thinks hes an asshole so nobody talks about him much.

low-tech 2005-11-06 13:17

when metallica first went mainstream everyone thought he was this super technical genius coz of the double pedal. it was kinda new to the MTV generation. nowadays i wouldnt be suprised if they play to tapes

JacksonGuitars07 2005-11-06 15:19

I think metallica in general are way too overated...sorry that was a bit off topic, but oh well.

davie_gravy 2005-11-06 16:10

I think lars is overrated. Also, joey jordison is a bit overrated.

NZ black metal drumm 2005-11-06 21:28

Lars isn't overated

No one in metal thinks he is good!!!

Flo is soooo not overated, when I watch his solos he does some seriously SICK shit!!!

John Bonham gave us the John Bonham triplet....

The person I reckon who is most overated would be well, not alot of people really, mainly because drummers that are shit, most people think are shit and drummers that are good, most people think are good, there aren't too many drummers who play stuff that makes me go hmmm I could play that, yet everyone hails as great!

The Execrator 2005-11-06 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by davie_gravy
IAlso, joey jordison is a bit overrated.

The reason he's overrated is because he's the best drummer that all the nu-metal kids listen too.

LordofStorms 2005-11-07 17:32

I agree with everyone who said Flo.I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks his playing is way overrated.Also alot of my friends worship Frost from Satyricon,I've never really seen whats so great about him.

EDIT: Oh and all the bm cunts who think Hellhammer was the best ever.I own the live album and let me tell you,that is the sloppiest drumming I've ever heard.

NZ black metal drumm 2005-11-07 18:17

Quote:
Frost from Satyricon,I've never really seen whats so great about him.

I Love Frosts drumming, it is really heavy and the dude has some nice breakdowns! also check his stuff in 1349, more blasting and more brutal

Quote:
Oh and all the bm cunts who think Hellhammer was the best ever.I own the live album and let me tell you,that is the sloppiest drumming I've ever heard.

Hellhammer is a fucking monster dude!!! have you heard him play Jazz? he fucking kicks major ass, he does stuff like push pull blasting (VERY hard to do) and other crazy shit, I have seen perfomances of him where he is tight as fuck and pulls out the tech shit like no one!!!

freezing_moon 2005-11-07 18:22

Mike Portnoy is pretty overrated, I don't like him much

low-tech 2005-11-07 19:19

i hate mark portnoy, i dont why........i just do

i think the slipnot drummer is good its just his talents arent exactly utilized, then again i never listen to slipnot beyond when switch it off the radio, and oh yeah, that rollerball movie.

kieth moon, drummer of the who is far overrated, never really liked the who anyways. the dudes been immortalized like john bodham but ive never seen nor heard anything from the guy that warrants it. i see footage of him behind 30 piece drumsets but i never hear all those drums being used in who songs. the only thing i saw that impressed me was when he blew up his bass drum and nearly killed the other members. maybe he gets cool points for chainsawing hotel rooms to pieces, being insane and a notorious alcoholic, thats about it. ive seen tommy and quadraphenia<however the fuck you spell it>solid drummer at best...........a legend, hell no.

newHELLonEARTH 2005-11-07 19:48

fuck that i love flo haha but yeah i dont wanna get into any gay ass e-fight

Mayhem 2005-11-07 19:55

Flo is alright, But Portnoy sucks in my opinion

The Execrator 2005-11-07 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by newHELLonEARTH
fuck that i love flo haha but yeah i dont wanna get into any gay ass e-fight

FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKER!!!1!! YOU BIG MEANIE!

Anyways, Mike Portnoy gets on my nerves sometimes. He's ok, but alot of Dream Theatre fans are obsessed over him.

foxguitar 2005-11-07 21:55

peter criss sucks the big one
lars blows
Tommy aldridge ,Dave Lombardo ,Neil Peart , and vinnie paul on the other hand rule.

foxguitar 2005-11-07 21:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
fuck bonham, he sucks. thats about all i can think of for overrated drummers though, i agree with flo, hes sloppy as hell. his snare rhytms ATROCIOUS

Fuck you Bonham was great. Not Jason he sucks John was awsum as was keith moon

Mayhem 2005-11-07 22:03

Dave Lombardo is Underrated....When i'm talking with people about drums no one ever mentions him...And than I mention him and they go, whos that?...I think he is an amazing drummer with a very unique style....Deserves more credit than what he gets