MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The OFFICIAL 'I need help buying a guitar' Thread (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24768)

IlikeRiffseveryone 2005-10-11 18:18

You can get some decent ibanez rgs for cheap. Anyone know if the jackson Dk2 is any good?

if i where you, I'd say ibanez is your best bet.

YJM04 2005-10-11 18:29

it all depends on ur style of play, that jackson that ur suggesting has a scalloped neck joint, so it could be good for jazz,shred,or blues

HelpMeHelpYou 2005-10-11 23:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
Bb, and A#.

Thats the same note. :D :p
No but seriously a guitar doesn't have to have a well known brand name to be good if I were in your predicament I would consider some of the rondo axes.

Vardanstalt 2005-10-13 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlikeRiffseveryone
yeah, bc rich. not good. basically the dk2l is basically just a dk2 only left handed. I can get one for 700 dollars. Nay, yay?

Yea I guess so. I haven't actually played one before but since it's an expensive Jackson and nothing like 200$, I'm pretty sure it's worth it. Its up to you man, I mean, if you like it, go for it.

IlikeRiffseveryone 2005-10-13 20:10

the model i'm shooting for is 700 dollars.

Soeru 2005-10-17 18:57

Well I'm going to get an Ibanez PR1660, an extremely rare discontinued RR-style axe. Beat up as hell, but I'm getting it cheap, plus it has a SD at the bridge. If I end up winning the auction I'll be sure to make a thread bragging about it and praising you guys for the advice. Seriously. I've never been able to get such accurate and informed opinions and suggestions from people in person.

Necro_Butcher 2005-10-17 19:00

Quote:
the model i'm shooting for is 700 dollars.

I have a jackson DK2L, its good but better left handed models can be found

try to find a lefty ibanez off of ebay, i check for them just about everyday

Soeru 2005-10-17 19:01

Sucks being a left handed guitarist, doesn't it? I couldn't possibly imagine...

OpethFan 2005-10-18 01:48

It's getting close to me getting a new axe. I want to get some ideas of what to keep an eye out while i continue saving money.

My budget is at most (i would wanna spend less) at most ill say $1000 new zealand dollars which is a bit under $700US

Now keep in mind i may have to buy a guitar new, because there is never anything interesting 2nd hand around. And i would prefer not to use EBAY due to massive shipping distances. So i'll check any suggestions out in the music shop to see their prices.

I would like something with 24 frets
thin neck
neck-tru would be great (i have short fingers and have trouble reaching on high frets)
im looking for something like superstrat style (or whatever else), not too keen on V's
Tremelo would also be nice, but again any ideas.

I have been thinking of LTD's, Ibanez RG's (are these neck-thru?), Jacksons. Not too sure what else. I have rarely seen any of these 2nd hand, so it would probably have to be new.

Any suggestions of models to check for.

I play metal, rock, classical - bunch of random stuff. I basically want a guitar which has a nice sound, and is easy to play technical on.

I think thats about it, thanks a lot for any answers ;)

Soeru 2005-10-18 06:01

ESP Ltd. MH-400 with an Original Floyd Rose bridge. Or maybe that Dave Mustaine signature ESP. Or a Jackson Dinky. Or an RR3 or RR1. Ibanez RG370DX or higher priced Ibz's. Or a Schecter. :P

Cyberwaste 2005-10-18 09:01

Quote:
Sucks being a left handed guitarist, doesn't it? I couldn't possibly imagine...

I probably would just string a righty upside down

OpethFan 2005-10-18 13:39

Quote:
ESP Ltd. MH-400 with an Original Floyd Rose bridge. Or maybe that Dave Mustaine signature ESP. Or a Jackson Dinky. Or an RR3 or RR1. Ibanez RG370DX or higher priced Ibz's. Or a Schecter. :P

I looked on the ESP site and on the site of my music shop, and the better guitars in each series (example, MH-400) are more like $1200.

i cant remember which one i looked at, but it was the closest thing in my price range and was still $1100, which im not sure if i wanna spend.

It had neck thru, and a tremelo, but EMG-HZ pups.

IlikeRiffseveryone 2005-10-18 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberwaste
I probably would just string a righty upside down

yeah, but the cut offs are fucked. Necro butcher, i didn't know you played left. :beer:

SicSyco 2005-10-18 18:17

EPIPHONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good an' cheap
:stoned:

OpethFan 2005-10-18 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicSyco
EPIPHONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheap
:stoned:

Thats more like it

Necro_Butcher 2005-10-19 17:57

Quote:
yeah, but the cut offs are fucked. Necro butcher, i dont know you played left. :beer:

aw yeah

the worst part about being left handed is how you can NEVER try a guitar in a shop.

im going to otawa in novemember maybe i can find a cool music shop there with some lefties though.

and yeah the jackson is pretty good, but after playing my ibanez rg 550 (wizard 1 neck) the jackson feels like trying to play a block of wood, i dunno though its all preferance, i dont have long fingers, thats for sure, so for people who have long fingers could hate the wizard 1 neck, but then again paul gilbert plays a wizard neck and he has huge fingers

Soeru 2005-10-20 19:15

Fuck, well I didn't win the auction for an Ibanez Pro Line V.

For a second guitar, I really want to buy something with a tremolo and locking nut, preferably a licensed Floyd so it won't be as shitty as a no-name trem. I've definately taken some looks at some Ibanez's, but the only one that is in my budget limit is a used RG270. I hear the trems on these are very unstable...

Can anyone reccomend a good trem bridge equipped guitar for a complete tremolo n00b? I mainly want a 2nd guitar just to use a different tuning, but since I'm already getting one I'd figure I'd get something different. My budget is less than $200. I don't care for the brand, as long as you've had experience with it and would reccomend it.

IlikeRiffseveryone 2005-10-22 15:45

well, my hands are enormous. And there still growing, so i dony think a wide neck will be much of a problem.

yeah, the guitar shops suck. At the local music stop there was one epiphone. One epiphone les paul. The store next to it didnt have a damn thing...
Well, next summer i think i'll be able to get a job so that'll allow for actual options on what to get.

Good luck in ottawa man! :beer:

Jarod_g29 2005-11-03 08:08

I Suggest you look at a Ibanez 550 they necks are amazing and great sound..

Soeru 2005-11-03 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod_g29
I Suggest you look at a Ibanez 550 they necks are amazing and great sound..

I played a friend's 550(red with black pickguard) a few days ago and it was motherfuckin AMAZING. He nearly had to pry me off the guitar after a while. But it's way beyond my price range for a 2nd guitar... Anyone know of any other locking trem-bridge guitars, new or that can be acquired for a low price used? Those SX guitars at Rondomusic look interesting but I don't trust them, I'd feel much safer going with an Ibanez. What Floyd-equipped Ibanez's can I get new or used for around $200?