MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bass Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How do you wear your bass? (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24102)

Subsonic6string 2005-09-08 19:05

How do you wear your bass?

Simply put, how do you "sling your axe"? Some people like to keep the bass up close to their chin (ala Paul McCartney) and some like to sling it down around their knees (ala Alex Webster). Me? I'm a Webster clone when onstage. I like to wear my bass slung very low, and have the neck almost straight up. I find this most comfortable to me, as I had shoulder surgery at the beginning of the year, and it puts the least amount of stress on the old shoulder joints.

What about the rest of ya?

Cheers.

:beer:

McCalister999 2005-09-08 22:07

My six string I like a little higher, about high-gut height, but my four string I like slung nice and low like you said it.

Subsonic6string 2005-09-08 22:17

Cool. Glad to see another 6-string player...(I assume you mean your 6-string bass....lol)

Cheers.

Tulvox 2005-09-08 22:54

I usually hang it with the the pickups being about even with my naval (the space between your belly button and waist.)

Tattered 2005-09-09 05:50

1 Attachment(s)
I wear mine pretty high.. Its more comfortable for fingerstyle and also a better technique when using fingerstyle to wear it ''Jazz high'' haha.

Heres a pic of me from a recent gig, should show the height.

Zionist 2005-09-09 12:07

I wear my bass very high up, touching my nipples.

Sodomaniac 2005-09-09 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulvox
I usually hang it with the the pickups being about even with my naval (the space between your belly button and waist.)

ye same here.

To Webster: In my opinion he is using a special technique in wearing the bass. Sometimes it looks like he is playing on a contra bass. :)

Subsonic6string 2005-09-09 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodomaniac
To Webster: In my opinion he is using a special technique in wearing the bass. Sometimes it looks like he is playing on a contra bass. :)

True enough. I just find, like I said, with the recent surgery on my shoulder (I had my fretting arm shoulder completely rebuilt, ie: 2" of cartilidge taken out of my glenoid capsule and my rotator cuff muscles sown back together to fix a constant dislocation problem) that playing it that style seems the most comfortable. And it looks SOOOOO metal. lol

Cheers.

walpurgis 2005-09-09 22:52

I usually have it angled upward where my right arm is almost straight, and the head is probably just above my shoulders. I find it's easiest to stretch my fingers when it's angled that way.

McCalister999 2005-09-10 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic6string
I assume you mean your 6-string bass....lol

Oh but of course! ;)

Rattlehead 2005-09-10 16:42

I play it slightly higher than Tattered does in that photo (or maybe the same, I'm not too sure). I like it this way because the fretboard is accessible down (or up :p ) at the first fret all the way up to the 24th fret. It is also a very natural feel for fingerstyle picking.

Subsonic6string 2005-09-10 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead
the fretboard is accessible down (or up :p ) at the first fret all the way up to the 24th fret. It is also a very natural feel for fingerstyle picking.

Very true. I find it the same by playing mine in a (near) vertical position. The first fret is basically at head level, and the 24th is close to hip level. All are within easy reach by moving nothing more than my forearm. Admittedly, this style isn't for all bassists, but for me it seems to be more comfortable. Also, my plucking hand is hanging low enough to be very comfortable.

Cheers.

iron_bodom 2005-09-11 15:20

I wear mine with the body about groin level and hold the neck to were the head stock is about level with my head or neck. I think it is more comfortable since a play directly behind the neck with a pick(which from what i've read is bass herisy on these forums). :behead: :behead:

Rattlehead 2005-09-12 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic6string
Very true. I find it the same by playing mine in a (near) vertical position. The first fret is basically at head level, and the 24th is close to hip level. All are within easy reach by moving nothing more than my forearm. Admittedly, this style isn't for all bassists, but for me it seems to be more comfortable. Also, my plucking hand is hanging low enough to be very comfortable.
Actually sometimes when I grab my bass for a quickie (5min before leaving in the morning) I don't bother use the strap and I hold the bass in this position. Obviously after a while this would get tiring without a strap, but I think you still have to hold it in place the way you have it even when using a strap. And if you do, that must get tiring pretty quickly, especially for you on a 6-string.

Does anyone know if they make stands to hold up bass guitars (similar to the things used to hold up cellos) while you play? I'd be willing to experiment with that if I could find one. That would be very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_bodom
I wear mine with the body about groin level and hold the neck to were the head stock is about level with my head or neck. I think it is more comfortable since a play directly behind the neck with a pick(which from what i've read is bass herisy on these forums).
Do you play like that all the time? I wouldn't call it heresy but I would recommend you move over the neck pickup for parts involving fast picking. I suppose where "directly behind the neck" is really depends on what you mean by that, and if you mean "directly behind the fretboard" then it also depends on how long the fretboard is ie, how many frets you have. Care to be more specific?

iron_bodom 2005-09-12 16:22

My bass has 20 frets. And I tend to play behind the fret board and and 1/2 way in front of the pick-up, about 80% of the time. If it is anything fast LOG, Slayer(Reign in Blood) or Metallica(Master of Puppets) I'll play half way between pick-up and bridge or directly over the pick-up. But i do play may bass like that 95% of the time. The other 5% is when I play w/ my fingers then i'll hoist my bass up a bit, and lower the angle of the neck.

Subsonic6string 2005-09-12 19:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead
Obviously after a while this would get tiring without a strap, but I think you still have to hold it in place the way you have it even when using a strap. And if you do, that must get tiring pretty quickly, especially for you on a 6-string.

To alleviate that problem, I repositioned the strap pegs to change the balance point on my bass. I put the rear peg on the back of the body, about 2/3 of the way up the body, and about 5 inches in from the rear (bridge) end of the body. Now it basically sits where I want it.

Cheers.

BassBehemoth 2005-09-15 21:59

I Nipple Ride...it's the only way to hit all the notes with a fair amount of easye and it's makes me look like a total pussy!

SlayerDude 2005-09-18 10:21

Haha, wow...lots of interesting styles =P Respect them all, but I just perfer keeping it about waist-ish level. I use a pick, and (personally) it gives me a more comfortable position. That's just from personal experiance though...

Tulvox 2005-09-18 11:31

OMG!!! He uses a pick!! Throw rocks at him!! :D

Tattered 2005-09-18 12:32

Hahaha.

*Throws rocks*

:D ;)