MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The Metaltabs College thread (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24040)

newHELLonEARTH 2005-09-08 15:57

well i'm not in high school yet, i'm supposed to be but i failed, but i plan on going to some music univercity and professionaly take music. that's my goal.

Six_Feet_Under_420 2005-09-08 16:00

I used to study small bussines and retail management at a higher school for economics. But I dropped out. and now I work at a warehouse...

KevC 2005-09-08 16:09

wow your lucky truthdevoid, i have yet to see any metal heads at where my university, nnot even one out of the many thousands of faces i must of seen. or maybe im not looking in the right places, the clossest was some guy with a zeppelin shirt

TruthDevoid 2005-09-08 16:12

tuition is about 11 grand per semester. housing is about 6 a semester. If you play something becides guitar you have a decent chance of getting a scholarship. But theres just so many guitar players here that for a guitarist to get a scholarship, you really have to be special. Yeah a lot of metal tours come up this way

KevC 2005-09-08 16:36

holy shit 11 grand for a semester??? do you have one or two semesters at that music school? and it must be one hell of music schoool to be charging that much

powersofterror 2005-09-08 16:52

Most private schools charge 30 or so for the whole year, and fuck that is a lot of money. For me, UNT tuition is just over 3 grand a semester for 15 credits. I also live in an apartment for $475/mo(all bills paid), and my food bill is like 50 bucks every couple of weeks.

Transient 2005-09-08 17:13

man i bet i could feed myself for about 10 bucks a week, just gotta be satisfied with cheap stuff like rice cakes and beans

truthdevoid how the hell are you paying for that

IlikeRiffseveryone 2005-09-08 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by newHELLonEARTH
well i'm not in high school yet, i'm supposed to be but i failed, but i plan on going to some music univercity and professionaly take music. that's my goal.

Yeah, My guitar is taking music and once i heard about that i realised that it would be fucking awesome to take it myself.

TruthDevoid 2005-09-09 01:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
man i bet i could feed myself for about 10 bucks a week, just gotta be satisfied with cheap stuff like rice cakes and beans

truthdevoid how the hell are you paying for that

Not easily

Transient 2005-09-09 05:52

think your music education is worth bieng 20,000 in the hole? (im not being a jerk or anything, its an honest to god question with no judgement)

Pandemonium 2005-09-09 08:00

More like $100,000 by the time he is finished.

Tattered 2005-09-09 08:41

Im doing a national diploma in Music Practice at my first year at college, it should be my second year but i chose to work straight after high school.

Rapture 2005-09-09 10:29

You've gotta be a certain special kind of dumb to fail 8th grade

Transient 2005-09-09 14:34

ive never even failed a class, just one math final a few years ago...

h4x5k8 2005-09-09 14:53

Lets see, where to start off. First I wanted to do somthing in computers and technology, ill start my story there.

At first it was allabout games and what not, I wanted to be a programer, went out bought a C++ package, wasn't really my thing. After that I tought myself how to make 3d maps for some games (mostly half life engine, counter strike) and made a couple maps and lost intrest. I then started editing and adding on to 3d models in games, and then pursued making my own, but my artistic (drwawing orientated) abilities arnt that great, so I sucked at that. During that whole time I was building and repairing computers for people and some businesses, so I took a course on A+ Certification, but I already knew everything in that, never took the time to get certified yet. My Sophmore and Juinor years of highschool I took a 2 year full Cisco (computer networking), havnt taken the time to study more and get my CCNA yet. Senior year was mostly guitar/music orientated.

After I graduated high school (4 months ago) I got an internship for the Eagle County Government IT Department in Vail Valley. I lived up here for the last 3 months, and this is my last day for the internship, then I move back down to longmont. Ive learned a lot about life, and people living up here and decided after spending my whole life working with computers that I probably won't pursue that as a career. But while I was up here they sent me to Lefthand Networks and I got iSCSI SAN (Storage Area Network Protocol) certified, cool I guess, looks good on resume.

While living up here I have been looking into many options regarding the future of my life, and decided that computers, for now, "aint my thang". I have decided to pursue some kind of education that will further my knowledge and respect for music. I never thought I would be so into music my whole life, I played piano for about 9 years (got really good, now after never playing I suck ass) during that i played trumpet in school band for 5 years, and have been playing guitar for about 2-3 years. I plan on doing some sort of Sound Engineering and Production/Recording (Latley i have really been enjoying doing recordings of my own, utilizing all sorts of different techniques) I don't know where im gonna it, but this thread is helping out (full sail is an option, and berklee or wherever truth devoid is going sounds way to $$$$) I also am interested in doing electronic engineering, for education towards building amps, pickups, and other things. One other thing I want to learn to widen my musical abilities is lutherie. A school in pheonix, only a state away, sounds promising http://www.roberto-venn.com/ . A 5 month vocational program that offers a lutherie certification at the end. They also offer a basic woodworking shop, and an amp building class there I would take if I went.

Yesterday I talked with a lady who went to the navy and studied electronics. She said the navy has one of the best schools for electronics, and offers great on field work. I was very interested in that possibiltiy, I dunno if the navy would be my thing though, I wanna talk to more people. (Soulinsane :beer: ) It seems to good too be true, get paid a bonus to join the navy, take free schooling from some of the best electronics courses out there, get promoted to E-5 after schooling and automaticly be above all the other peons and get paid more, serve for 4 years and get some good experiance. Then once out of the navy you get a GI bill which pays for 3 or 4 years of college (somthing like that) so pursing a Production course like Truth Devoids would actually be possible for me. Seems like a very very promising alternative, but who knows, ive only just started my life after high school.

All in all I have so many options in life right now, I dont know where to begin... Plus theres always the big final dream, being in a band that makes it. All that stuff above is just my backup plan if that never happens :p

powersofterror 2005-09-09 15:41

Quote:

You'd be one skinny mutherfucker.:p

powersofterror 2005-09-09 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthDevoid
Not easily

FAFSA?

TruthDevoid 2005-09-09 16:47

FAFSA, loans and stuff

guitar_demon 2005-09-09 17:46

Quote:
ive never even failed a class, just one math final a few years ago...

I failed a science final once, but in my defence the teacher sucked at teaching and my whole class failed it :smash:

powersofterror 2005-09-09 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthDevoid
FAFSA, loans and stuff

Hm. That'll do it. I'm just using fafsa. I always get a student loan, a pell grant, and a university grant.