MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music Theory (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   mixing genre's/style (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21585)

YJM04 2005-06-04 15:03

mixing genre's/style

has anyone tried to mix music genre's. sorta like what malmsteen did in the 80's. im working on somthin right now, its mixing flamencio with metal. it sounds pretty sweet too. has anyone else tried mixing gere's, styles, technic?

Lamb of Bodom! 2005-06-04 23:06

I might try downtuned orchestral songs with tango flamenco screamo :)

John Holland 2005-06-05 00:06

I'm learning/practicing nothing but Arabian/Eastern/ethnic scales right now.

Writing a riff in an Arabian scale sounds interesting.

davie_gravy 2005-06-05 02:02

Messing with the harmonic minor, I've pulled some sweet Arabic/Turkish sounds. I've also put some classical taste from the minor scales into some of my metal. Some even has a russian feel like ha-tu ha-tu ha-tu ha-tu ha-tu ha-tu ha-tu HEY!

h4x5k8 2005-06-05 02:05

one time i tried playing shitty and then combining that with metal... ended up coming up with nu-metal

Brutur 2005-06-05 04:16

At the moment I try to combine Techniqal Progressive Jazz with Spanish Traditional Music. The outcome of that sounds new and fresh, and will be included in my new compositions....
And of course Funk with Progressive Metal... But that idea I got from Spastic Ink..... i actually sounds good....

Severed 2005-06-05 06:18

Dillinger Escape Plan - Setting Fire to Sleeping Giants.

Seve420 2005-06-05 10:13

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland

I'm actually focusing on that too.

What I tend to do is mix different band styles

eg. my incomplete powertab file contains influences from Meshuggah, Slayer, Necrophagist and Dillenger Escape Plan

YJM04 2005-06-05 11:25

Quote:

yes those scales are pretty cool. i use some of them in some of my songs, but im not trying to go all out like yngwie with minor modes. in my eyes yngwie is the best :beer: . those scales have a intresting/ dark sound to it.
if u like those scales then u should definitly check out the spanish phrygian.

YJM04 2005-06-05 12:19

Quote:

peavey.com they have 2 hours of satriani in concert. for free :D
he uses those scales alot. it sorta sounds like march slav in this one song he plays

John Holland 2005-06-05 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve420

eg. my incomplete powertab file contains influences from Meshuggah, Slayer, Necrophagist and Dillenger Escape Plan

I like that, I can really hear the Slayer in it!

The intro sounds like "Chaosphere Era" Meshuggah in a very "Slayer" mood. Nicely done.

John Holland 2005-06-05 14:55

Quote:

I like that, I can really hear the Slayer in it!

The intro sounds like "Chaosphere Era" Meshuggah in a very "Slayer" mood. Nicely done.

arvina 2005-06-05 20:27

are you talking of like mixing styles.
in my music theres usually everything. somthing poppy metal of course, reggae, jazz, the metal reggae is awsome.
as for real arabian/spanish souding scales, thats all i ever do. major anything just sounds stupid to me. in one of our songs(incomplete) it goes reall bluesy intro, then metal verse, then a break down with ritard to a slow reggae up beat kinda thing, then a crazy( i wish) neoclassicalish solo(im not good enough but its that kind of feel, string skiping and such) another song is all tribal dancy with the doom, ba doomba doom, ba doomba sound.look at sleep terror. metal then jazz.

johnmansley 2005-06-06 12:26

Quote:

That's pretty damn good! I really like the parts at bars 24, 25, 26 and 27.

Zertonshfits 2005-06-06 16:07

i once mixed punk and heavy metal :p

\m/Eat At Joe's\m/ 2005-06-06 19:21

Mixing styles is very exciting, but it can be seen as "selling out" by some of the more reactionary, elitist, mainstream-paranoid "trend-haters" who have an exceedingly negative outlook on life.
Shame they can't just grow up.

I'd like to mix jazz with metal, but I'm not sure how to incorporate jazz stylings into heavy/brutal riffs, rather than having to do jazz breakdowns all the time..Any suggestions?

davie_gravy 2005-06-07 00:19

Seve420:

That piece was badass, I love the lil arpeggio part (bar 25), that sounds so goddamn kick fuckin ass. I hear slayer all over that main riff (starting with bar 11). Nice work!

\m/Eat At Joe's\m/:

Maybe try basing the progression using jazzy styled chords, then create a brutal riff over it.

\m/Eat At Joe's\m/ 2005-06-07 07:00

Thanks, davy. What do you mean, use notes from thew jazz chords?
I should really be figuring this out myself, but....I'm lazy sometimes. ::):.....Thanks again.

MetalThrashingMad 2005-06-07 07:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4x5k8
one time i tried playing shitty and then combining that with metal... ended up coming up with nu-metal

Hahahaha

It's been said; JAZZ METAL!!!

YJM04 2005-06-07 07:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad
Hahahaha

It's been said; JAZZ METAL!!!

so i made a song with arabian scales/harmonic minor and funk bass line with a metal sound, i call it arabian nights. it acctually sounds good. but it wont let me load it up on this sight.somone please help me. and yes it's under the minumum required.maybe because its and mp3? i dont know where to get the other things that u guys have