MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bands (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   "Doom" metal (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20483)

shimbolla 2005-04-26 16:22

"Doom" metal

Yes, I used the search button. Couldn't find a definition.
I'm curious about this style of music. Is it like a sub-sub-sub-genre or something? What is a band I can check out to gain knowledge on what doom metal sounds like?

Kalmahswamp 2005-04-26 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimbolla
I'm curious about this style of music. Is it like a sub-sub-sub-genre or something? What is a band I can check out to gain knowledge on what doom metal sounds like?

Check out: old Katatonia, Forest Stream, Swallow the Sun, and Dark Suns

Doom metal is a favorite of mine...Very atmospheric

Bia 2005-04-26 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmahswamp
Check out: old Katatonia, Forest Stream, Swallow the Sun, and Dark Suns

Doom metal is a favorite of mine...Very atmospheric

I have some Katatonia...never knew it's classification other than music.
Learn something new everyday.

:)

brainsforbreakfast 2005-04-26 17:14

Also check out: old Paradise lost, old Anathema, My Dying Bride, November's Doom, Candlemass

Ten Ton Alien 2005-04-26 17:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimbolla

Doom metal is slow, slow, slow. very slow. the bands drag the riffs for as long as they can and the songs often feature depressive themes like suicide and similars in their lyrics.

also, it's slow.

LordofStorms 2005-04-26 18:33

Katatonia is the only one I can stand.

Zionist 2005-04-26 18:38

Way to slow and boring for me, I don't have the patience, and it's depressing.

kin 2005-04-26 19:07

Try old Sleep, Hierophant, diSEMBOWELMENT, Candlemass, Saint Vitus, and Earth. I recently got back into it, and it is definetly a love it or hate it thing...works great for studying though.

shimbolla 2005-04-26 19:09

Hmm, a little softer than what I expected (I tried out random stuff from Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Candlemass, Forest Stream, Swallow The Sun). Damn, is there no escape from the brutality of death metal once you enter it's realm? Guess not. Thanks anyway. :beer:

Pandemonium 2005-04-26 19:10

MY Dying Bride +1

Zionist 2005-04-26 19:11

I sold my soul to extreme music.

BeastOfCarrion 2005-04-26 19:33

Lots of minor chords.
Any time you want to know the exact definitiopn of a sub-sub-sub genera, it is best to sample rather than ask for a definition, as descriptions are difficult.

Cryptal Darkness.

Cunty Shunt 2005-04-26 20:02

Atmospheric Doom blows. Heavy, heavy doom is good. Check out Earth, SunnO))), OM, Sleep's "Dopesmoker", Boris, some Melvins, Coffins, Bongzilla, St. Vitus, even Black Sabbath (credited for starting doom).

I just recorded a 30 minute doom track and it's the fucking heaviest thing EVER.

ukfswmart 2005-04-27 05:57

Type O Negative have done alot of atmospheric doom stuff in the past. Their rendition of Black Sabbath is incredible

I'd say the lyrical subject for the Anathema side of doom is more in the vein of hopelessness and despair more than suicide and death

low-tech 2005-04-27 06:01

also grief and man is the bastard has some doom elements to it

sunn0))) i think takes the cake

andrewc 2005-04-27 06:08

virgin black. doubt you'd like the vocals, though.....but they're the only one i really know.

sqol 2005-04-27 08:52

In addition to the other bands listed, i'd like to add The Prophecy, they've supported MDB before, and were the hosts to the Doomination of Europe/America tours... I consider their material to be fairly easy to listen to, nothing brutal, but enjoyable nonetheless :)

brainsforbreakfast 2005-04-27 09:09

the prophecy? I saw them up there with MDB too, yes. Nothing too fancy, wouldn't realy recomend it for doom beginners.

Kalmahswamp 2005-04-27 14:32

Anathema is one of the most depressing bands I've ever heard

blizzard_beast 2005-04-27 16:02

Pentagram!!! The fucking best band ever! The band that got me into metal!

Check out shit from Cathedral, Spirit Caravan and Candlemass (I don't like 'em. but you might)