MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Drums Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gravity roll video for you all.... (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20048)

Wakeness 2005-04-12 22:57

Gravity roll video for you all....

A picture's worth a thousand words...

http://www.tigerbill.com/media/Rabb2.wmv

Transient 2005-04-13 05:54

always wondered what a g roll was. thank you

Drag the Waters 2005-04-13 12:40

i wondered myself.. very cool.

Wakeness 2005-04-13 20:20

Yeah, it's pretty impressive shit! I've been working on it all evening. I'm getting the feel for it now. It'd be a while before I could get enough power to use it live or anything, but.....
....someday....

LordofStorms 2005-04-14 08:11

Fuck yeah that was great.I bet it would take a shit load of practice.

morbid_priest 2005-04-14 11:58

isnt that what jazz drummers do sometimes?

Wakeness 2005-04-14 20:37

Yeah, I heard that technique was created over 40 years ago by a jazz drummer. Keep in mind, jazz bands are a lot quieter than Grinding Death bands.
I now understand why some dudes trigger their snares.

Infinity 2005-04-15 01:11

I always though it was called Gravity Blast...

low-tech 2005-04-15 03:23

its called many things, some call it a pivot roll,rim roll etc, does anyone know who first applied the gravity roll to grind based music?

Lord.Worm 2005-04-15 07:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
I always though it was called Gravity Blast...

It`s called Gravity Blast, if the Drummer adds a Doublebass and a 8th hihat or something.
But the ex-Kataklysm guy played everything the same speed, never found out how he`s able to keep that speed for so long with his "cymbal-hand".
As I bought the Despised Icon, I found out, that he is very very tight with this.

low-tech 2005-04-15 14:11

if you mean pivot rolling simulaniously from the ride cymbal and snare, lord worm, you use the bell part as the rim for the pivot motion, so the base<that part closest to your hand> of the stick hits on the bell, and the end of the stick taps the middle of the cymbal, i just figured this out a few days ago

edit: i hope thats what you meant, doing it is rather easy by itself, but keepping the count and transitioning it from normal sticking and back is a bitch to do for me, if you know this already, i dont mean to be redundant

edit again:i couldnt get the video to post on my low-tech computer,so i dont know, maybe the guy on it was doing simultanious pivot rolls or something like that

Wakeness 2005-04-15 15:50

Well, the whole video is just him using the snare, except for a little bit of toms... He doesn't use any cymbals for the video, because he's exclusively demonstrating the "Free-hand Roll"
He does alternate hands, and he also does some double hand/synchronized blasting... (If that's what you want to call it)
He's hitting very very lightly.

Lord.Worm 2005-04-18 06:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-tech
if you mean pivot rolling simulaniously from the ride cymbal and snare, lord worm, you use the bell part as the rim for the pivot motion, so the base<that part closest to your hand> of the stick hits on the bell, and the end of the stick taps the middle of the cymbal, i just figured this out a few days ago

edit: i hope thats what you meant, doing it is rather easy by itself, but keepping the count and transitioning it from normal sticking and back is a bitch to do for me, if you know this already, i dont mean to be redundant

edit again:i couldnt get the video to post on my low-tech computer,so i dont know, maybe the guy on it was doing simultanious pivot rolls or something like that

No, because he is doing every Gravity with the chinacymbal...
But thanks anyways, I just try out this technique, sounds interesting.

Surgical Symmetry 2005-04-19 23:54

I remember seeing this video on the Derel Roddy board awhile back. Amazing stuff. I am still working on the technique myself I cant seem to get very good volume yet though...

low-tech 2005-04-22 05:08

i just do a drum roll and hit the under sides of my hihat with the left hand, louder on the snare but quieter hihat hits,i dont use the gravity blast or whatever for my bands songs. i noticed the volume on the pivot motion increases with lift not tension, so i think you lift the stick a bit higher when doing the pivot but not necessarily push down on the drumstick harder.

Exenterate999 2005-04-22 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeness
Yeah, I heard that technique was created over 40 years ago by a jazz drummer. Keep in mind, jazz bands are a lot quieter than Grinding Death bands.
I now understand why some dudes trigger their snares.

Yeah, i just got the technique down and im finding that out, especially if you trigger your bass drums (the snare is nearly in-audible, still can be heard, but cymbals/kicks drown it out for the most part). Im thinking about triggering my snare, but i'll try and see if i can work on my power and use that as a last resort (i hate the sound of a triggered snare, no dynamics at all, if i do ill just sample my snare and use that, dmpros own).

Wakeness 2005-05-06 21:46

Yeah, I find that you can't hear it either. I bought some triggers so I could trigger the snare, but I'm just rtying to figure it out to make it sound right.... (Settings)
I use an Alesis DM5- what do you run?

Helvete 2005-11-18 05:37

Here is a link to a rar file...it includes 3 gravity blast videos (one of them is the one which has already been posted). For anyone who is interested...

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=...SE0CM1RXD3RWEBU

low-tech 2005-11-18 17:38

i taught my boss how to do a pivot roll in a matter of seconds, upon first demonstration he was able to roll 16s about as fast as i was doing them. this is a man who never studied drums beyond the fact he messes around on his sons drumkit from time to time. i think alot more drummers in metal know how to do this but alot dont utilize it due to the volume issue

Helvete 2005-12-08 07:51

Btw, is anyone of you playing in a band and using the gravity blast? Our drummer can do it, but it really isnt loud enough. Is there a way to play it louder?