MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Working in the music industry? (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19597)

blizzard_beast 2005-03-31 18:26

Working in the music industry?

Anyone have any experience in this? I'm not talking playing in a band, but more like music production and.. well what else is there?

What can you study at University related to music, and put you into a secure position with your future?

Cheers

Kylito 2005-03-31 18:35

I used to repair robotic stage lighting equipment at one company and then I installed and repaired pro audio gear for another company after that. Most of the employees were in bands, had long hair, etc... Very mellow work atmosphere, but pay is not usually top notch since everyone wants to work there. There are a lot of different angles to get in the music business. I'm an electronics nerd, so my options are pretty wide open. It's just hard to get your foot in the door most times. I filled out an application to be a technician for Carvin a long time ago and they asked all kinds of wacky questions about my gigging experience, playing experience, etc... Very unusual application process.

powersofterror 2005-03-31 20:02

1. money
2. knowledge of business
3. managing experience
4. advertising

there are many uni things that relate to "starting a metal band."

blizzard_beast 2005-03-31 20:54

Oh I was talking more about the technical side of things, like getting directly involved in how the music is made, what kind of jobs come under that?

powersofterror 2005-03-31 22:29

I would assume that is along the lines of "connections" to people. Call labels, email them, ask for jobs, ask what they need from you to get a job there.....yadda yadda yadda

NZ black metal drumm 2005-03-31 23:27

people work in the music industry?!?!?!????

I just thought they got drunk and jammed!

blizzard_beast 2005-03-31 23:30

Haha no shit?

Yeah I don't know what the fuck I'm going to do with life, so I'm looking into options.

Silent Night 6 6 2005-04-01 01:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_beast
What can you study at University related to music

Yeah I ask the same thing, next year I'll be a senior in HS and I'm thinking of going to like music school, like a 4 year thing. Anyone go to one right now, or know good music colleges?

Bia 2005-04-01 02:17

Learn to run those sound boards with 47 million knobs, switches?

:)

johnmansley 2005-04-01 07:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_beast
Oh I was talking more about the technical side of things, like getting directly involved in how the music is made, what kind of jobs come under that?

All sorts. Sound engineers, producers... that sort of thing. I think a few universities do courses in sound engineering but I can't remember which. Go to ucas.co.uk (or just google 'ucas') and they'll have a giant list of all the universities and courses. I think they will anyway, and if they haven't they bloody well should!

powersofterror 2005-04-01 10:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Night 6 6
Yeah I ask the same thing, next year I'll be a senior in HS and I'm thinking of going to like music school, like a 4 year thing. Anyone go to one right now, or know good music colleges?

*gasp* Waddya know....that's me!!:D
University of North Texas, in Denton north of Dallas. Has the best double bass progrom and jazz anywhere.