MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Joining the military or thinking about it? (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19527)

guitar_demon 2005-03-29 21:05

i would add a 4th type to it-people that want to use it to their advantage
i know alot of people(hell i guess im one) that joined/want to join just for the schooling then get out as soon as they can

Kylito 2005-03-29 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium
all of these "misdiagnosed" people will be contributing to a serious decrease in the amount of members of the next generation. I cannot say that would be a bad thing, though, for the Earth's sake.

Maybe that's what happens in 2060 A.D. on your population chart in your sig???

The great Attention Deficit Disaster. Yes, that would be great for the Earth's sake for sure...

I haven't done any serious research on ADD, but my impression of the situation is that they hand these drugs out like candy to the parents of any kids who are hyperactive. Of course my opinion is largely based on the South Park episode which covered that topic. ;)

John Holland 2005-03-29 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium
That's all good and dandy if you say so, but are you aware of the reasearch being done concerning the relation between ADD medication and DNA damage? That's right, a new theory. Could be bogus, but when all of these people are (possibly) unable to produce kids- or able to produce severely deformed kids- all of these "misdiagnosed" people will be contributing to a serious decrease in the amount of members of the next generation. I cannot say that would be a bad thing, though, for the Earth's sake.

True, but you must also take into account that medical technology has been largely inneffective for treating ADD for the first twenty years that it has been applied, due to its primitivity, and that it is no reason to criminalize and abandon the practise of treating the disorder altogether. Recent innovations such as Strattera and Wellbutrin are making quantum leaps, whereas Riddilin and other speed-based medications are the likely culprits of maladjusted seed.

Kylito 2005-03-29 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_demon
i would add a 4th type to it-people that want to use it to their advantage
i know alot of people(hell i guess im one) that joined/want to join just for the schooling then get out as soon as they can

Wasn't that covered in number one? If you can afford a good University education do it bro... ;)

DeathCS 2005-03-29 21:09

I'm not getting my hair cut to be in the fucking army.. and exercise, and run.. fuck that. and then go to war, because there will be one.. fuck it.

John Holland 2005-03-29 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylito
Of course my opinion is largely based on the South Park episode which covered that topic. ;)

And so many disgustingly misinformed people base 'factual' arguments on such a premise *cough cough BIA cough cough*.

guitar_demon 2005-03-29 21:11

Quote:
Wasn't that covered in number one? If you can afford a good University education do it bro... ;)

haha yea your right, i didnt read the whole description :p

guitar_demon 2005-03-29 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNIBALCORPSE
I'm not getting my hair cut to be in the fucking army.. and exercise, and run.. fuck that. and then go to war, because there will be one.. fuck it.

will you people stop bitching about war, death will come no matter what i'de rather die in a battle then wither away from old age

Kylito 2005-03-29 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNIBALCORPSE

Will be one? We're in one right now. I squeaked in between the Gulf War and the War on Terror. My dad squeaked in between Korea and Vietnam. If you are joining right now and don't want to be directly involved in the war, go Navy, but have no doubt that you will be spending more time than usual floating in the Persian Gulf and you will likely be at an elevated state of readiness which might include wearing a hot-ass CBR suit all day in the hot-ass humid hell-hole that is the Middle East. If you want to go for the easy ride, wait until we pull out of Iraq. It will be another ten years after that before our country can afford another "police action". If you think you can make a 20+ year career out of the military and not go to war, you're high. If you join the Coast Guard they are constantly at war with drug runners and illegal immigrants and stupid people who get lost at sea. It is often considered to be as slack as the Air Force, but I would say it's a lot more dangerous.

Choosing a safe profession in the military is pretty easy though. If you are an aviation electronics tech in the Air Force for example you will never be in danger other than hurting yourself on the plane.

PST 88 2005-03-29 21:26

I think the point is that it's a battle he disagrees with. I'd rather wither away as a contended old man who lived life the way I wanted than get killed in a battle I didn't really care to fight. Conversely, I'd rather die in a war I did believe in than wither away as an embittered and unhappy old man. Don't strip either death of context.

There is a serious problem with overmedicating for ADD. John's case being valid doesn't preclude this, any more than the existence of overmedication precludes John's case being valid. There is a lot of misdiagnosis, but sometimes the diagnosis is accurate. So stop talking about it. (Though the claim that modern society somehow has less capacity for memory is ludicrous; our interests - and, yes, attention spans - have changed, but we haven't become idiots.)

Finally: I don't know any military translators. I do know a few translators who work for government agencies, and their previous skill in the language and preferences when it comes to language meant exactly fuck-all. If the only thing you want out of this is Norwegian, try a different way. I hear they speak it in Norway.

guitar_demon 2005-03-29 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
. I hear they speak it in Norway.

:eek: you seriouse?!
that would be the ideal way to go, i hear alot that if your in the country/culture of a language your learning youll pick it up 10x faster cause your imersed in it always and not just for a few hours in a class

John Holland 2005-03-29 21:35

Quote:
Maybe that's what happens in 2060 A.D. on your population chart in your sig???

The great Attention Deficit Disaster. Yes, that would be great for the Earth's sake for sure...

I'm betting on the Mayans for 2012 ;)

We could argue about our capacity for memory, but we needs to close the can of worms on the ADD argument before the worms form one big worm, sneak up on everyone and devour them with wormlike veracity :D

PST 88 2005-03-29 21:44

Damn, I love David Cross. Though the fact that you have that bit memorized is more or less my point; bits of pop culture have replaced the Bible. I should go dig up the David Cross thread.

And yeah, immersion's ideal, though if you don't actually learn it in a classroom your syntax and grammar might get fucked.

Soulinsane 2005-03-29 21:47

Well I know it is uber cool and all to dislike the military and think you are being an individual by not joining, but it is really just a job and a personal decission. The military isn't some big bad evil brainwashing monster.

There really isn't some hardass instructor that you have to beat at his own game or that is trying to brake your spirit in boot camp. It is all in your head. If people yelling at you fucks with you then don't join or listen to metal for that matter. There is no difference. You will have better things to do and worry about while in the military then someone yelling at you. If discipline is the problem then don't be a musician either. Discipline is the ability to over come your own weakness to achieve greatness. You will find that the personal limitations that you have placed on yourself will be harder to overcome then some instructors. You will have your moment to sceam back at the instructor anyway. Tell them that you are not going to quit when they stay you should or that you can do something when they say you can't. Scream your ass off at them if that helps. There is no rule about not being motivated. Tell them that you are there to see things to the end. They want you to become apart of the team and if yelling helps bring that energy out of you then they are going to have no problem with you yelling. It is like one long huge ass metal concert in a way. Loads of energy and insiration. Most people that can't handle the military have only themself to blame and not anyone else.

Navy RTC is no joke, but you are there to learn about the Navy and not there to be beat on for the fun of the Navy. Some say it is a easy and others find it too hard. It's all opinion, but one thing for sure is that it takes work. I seen even the smallest, soft, passive girls and boys go in and come out as assertive, confident, women and men. It is a place that people can learn about themself and better themself to work as a team, or just leave. I don't want anyone in the U.S. Navy that isn't willing to put the effort into get through boot camp.

guitar_demon 2005-03-29 21:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
Well I know it is uber cool and all to dislike the military and think you are being an individual by not joining, but it is really just a job and a personal decission. The military isn't some big bad evil brainwashing monster.

oh fuck no......they got you too soul :rolleyes:
i really cant see how joining makes you a non-individual, i can see how you can think that in boot camp cause everyones the same and treated like shit but after that you can go back to being yourself

Soulinsane 2005-03-29 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_demon
oh fuck no......they got you too soul :rolleyes:
i really cant see how joining makes you a non-individual, i can see how you can think that in boot camp cause everyones the same and treated like shit but after that you can go back to being yourself

No one can take who you are away but as a team you all must have the same goal and frame of mind.

Yes, I am part of the system :vampire: I'm a war monger. I kill kill kill and drink the blood of my enemies with Rum while listening to Slayer all day long. Nothing makes me happier then taking poor, dumb, long haired, lazy, idealistic, know it all, hippie kids out of school and turn them into blood lusting killing machines with everything from nuclear weapons to sharp sticks.

John Holland 2005-03-29 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
No one can take who you are away but as a team you all must have the same goal and frame of mind.

Yes, I am part of the system :vampire: I'm a war monger. I kill kill kill and drink the blood of my enemies with Rum while listening to Slayer all day long. Nothing makes me happier then taking poor, dumb, long haired, lazy, idealistic, know it all, hippie kids out of school and turn them into blood lusting killing machines with everything from nuclear weapons to sharp sticks.

I've always liked to tell people that I'll be building giant nuclear reactors powered from the souls of dead Iraqi fetuses.

John Holland 2005-03-29 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
Damn, I love David Cross. Though the fact that you have that bit memorized is more or less my point; bits of pop culture have replaced the Bible. I should go dig up the David Cross thread.

And yeah, immersion's ideal, though if you don't actually learn it in a classroom your syntax and grammar might get fucked.

From now on, when I meet you on these forums, we'll have to have some sort of David Cross reference.

Soulinsane 2005-03-29 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland
I've always liked to tell people that I'll be building giant nuclear reactors powered from the souls of dead Iraqi fetuses.

People will believe you too and send you hate mail, threaten your life, and protest you all for the sake of love and world peace. Seens some PETA freaks here are convinced that the Navy has been harponing whales or something lately :D

DeathCS 2005-03-29 22:59

The only thing I see as cool in the military is the chance to get your rank up really high and start working at area 51. that would kick ass. though, thats probably really hard to get that high, but it would be cool.