MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear & Recording (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Goddamnit!!! 5150 combo problem !!!! (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18468)

John Holland 2005-02-23 17:15

Goddamnit!!! 5150 combo problem !!!!

I received my 5150 combo amplifier today, and there's a bad problem. The actual volume output is significantly lower than it should be. With the pre gain on 10 ( lead channel ) and the post gain on seven on the 5150, my Marshall AVT50 combo is much, much louder. And this amplifier should be cracking the earth at pre gain 8 post gain 2. I think it might be a fuse that needs to be replaced, as I often hear that the fuses in these amps are pure shit. It may be a tube, a fuse, or a bad connection, or something. Either way, the tone sounds sort of thin and the volume is very low.

Does anyone know what the problem may be?

HermanRi! 2005-02-23 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland
I received my 5150 combo amplifier today, and there's a bad problem. The actual volume output is significantly lower than it should be. With the pre gain on 10 ( lead channel ) and the post gain on seven on the 5150, my Marshall AVT50 combo is much, much louder. And this amplifier should be cracking the earth at pre gain 8 post gain 2. I think it might be a fuse that needs to be replaced, as I often hear that the fuses in these amps are pure shit. It may be a tube, a fuse, or a bad connection, or something. Either way, the tone sounds sort of thin and the volume is very low.

Does anyone know what the problem may be?

where you get it from?

Rapture 2005-02-23 17:24

ebay

John Holland 2005-02-23 17:27

It was E-bay.

xdislexicx 2005-02-23 18:29

so you got ripped off.. AND it doesnt work? :p

poor thing...

make sure all the tubes are glowing....

i'm pretty sure if a fuse blew you wouldnt hear anything.

make sure the speakers are both connected.

what are your exact settings?

how quiet is it?

John Holland 2005-02-23 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
so you got ripped off.. AND it doesnt work? :p

poor thing...

make sure all the tubes are glowing....

i'm pretty sure if a fuse blew you wouldnt hear anything.

make sure the speakers are both connected.

what are your exact settings?

how quiet is it?

Yeah, paying 670 $ total is bad enough, and now to receive it and it not working makes me very angry.

I've been confirmed, that if a fuse is not working then no volume at all will emanate ... so that's out of the question. I've been turning all the knobs every which way, plugging in and out of the high/low gain ( no variance in decibel, sounds the same ) ... Tried different cords, and looked at my guitar.

The tubes are definitely glowing, and plugged in tight ... Both speakers are connected. My only thought now is that it could be the circuit board. As I've done everything short of pulling open the circuit board and having a look. That could be the only thing ... everything else is in tact. Perhaps something was jostled on the way over. If I can't solve this on my own, then I'll have someone from Peavey look at it ( I live in Louisiana, Peavey is three and a half hours away ), and if that does'nt work, someone is coughing up 670$ and fast. I think I could get this fixed for under 100$ if I can't do it myself. Expensive, yes, but then again this amplifier ( when it's working, feces of Horus ) competes with other amplifiers twice its price range. That, and I plan on spending about 500$ worth of mods on it in the near future. As a result I see the effort to fix it well worth it.

Now that I've given this diagnosis, do you or anyone else have any other suggestions?

John Holland 2005-02-23 19:08

I've just realized the most blinding irony :

A week ago I was making posts in a 5150 thread asking how to reduce the volume. Well ... as it turns out ...

"Be careful what you wish for"

Rapture 2005-02-23 19:13

OWNED

John Holland 2005-02-23 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture
OWNED

Yeah ... I have to admit I've been pwn3d by an inanimate object.

JerryP 2005-02-23 19:44

John I replied to you post in my FJA Mods forum. Try a jumper cord in your effects loop and see if that helps. Dirty effects loop jacks are very common and could cause what you're describing.
Jerry

Rapture 2005-02-23 19:45

whoa. you're that guy BLS always talks about.

blizzard_beast 2005-02-23 19:45

I thought you where English at first John! Hope everything turns out ok with your 5150.

arvina 2005-02-23 19:51

wow your the infamous jerry p. in the screen(flesh haha get it?)

JerryP 2005-02-23 19:55

You guys have heard of me? :beer:
Jerry

John Holland 2005-02-23 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP
John I replied to you post in my FJA Mods forum. Try a jumper cord in your effects loop and see if that helps. Dirty effects loop jacks are very common and could cause what you're describing.
Jerry

:eek:

The god of all things 5150.

I am not worthy.

Well I put my a cord in the effects loop, in and out of both jacks. But to no avail.

Might I also mention that the "hiss" that comes with high-gain tube amps ... is very pronounced, and that intermittently it becomes more static ridden ... kind of like "snow" on a television.

JerryP 2005-02-23 20:01

Quote:
:eek:

The god of all things 5150.

I am not worthy.

HAHAHA Stop it! My head is big enough already. Well OK, maybe you can keep it going a little longer. :cool:
Jerry

John Holland 2005-02-23 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP
You guys have heard of me? :beer:
Jerry

I've heard about your "Engl-esque" 5150 modification ... If it really does what I've read, then I definitely want one of these.

JerryP 2005-02-23 20:03

Quote:

Well I put my a cord in the effects loop, in and out of both jacks. But to no avail.

Might I also mention that the "hiss" that comes with high-gain tube amps ... is very pronounced, and that intermittently it becomes more static ridden ... kind of like "snow" on a television.

Have you tried swapping any tubes? If you have any other 12AX7's you can try it's worth a shot. Try plugging your guitar right into the effects loop return jack and see if it's any louder that way.
Jerry

JerryP 2005-02-23 20:05

Quote:
I've heard about your "Engl-esque" 5150 modification ... If it really does what I've read, then I definitely want one of these.

I just loaned my 5150 to a local recording studio and as soon as I get the clips I'll let you guys know. They sound KILLER from what I've heard so far. They're just waiting for the bass player to finish up his tracks.
Jerry

John Holland 2005-02-23 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_beast
I thought you where English at first John!

How did you deduce that?