MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear & Recording (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ENGL POWERBALL AMP SETTINGS(?) (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17732)

BEHEMOTH 2005-02-01 13:17

ENGL POWERBALL AMP SETTINGS(?)

I am going to try one of these second handed amps, but if someonme of you have it, which is the setting do you use? death metalish setting i mean. Because I want ton try it with a good setting and I,m sonething like :sickface: setting the amps. I know it has a middle focused and opened , but i donīt know what these are.

Would you explain something or put your settings???(I wonīt stole them, its to have an idea)

Thankxį

VI.VI.VI

John Holland 2005-02-01 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEHEMOTH
Would you explain something or put your settings???(I wonīt stole them, its to have an idea)
VI.VI.VI

*Potential scenario at a local bar gig*

The band is halfway into their set, and a member of the audience pounces onstage to confront the band's guitarist.

"YOU STOLE MY AMP SETTINGS, MOTHERFUCKA!!!!@111" *gives guitarist right hook to the jaw, violence ensues, everyone in the bar starts breaking chairs and liquor bottles over the other's head, like a wild west movie scene *

The police are called, and the bar has been left in shambles from the vicious onslaught that night

*Bartender cleaning blood off the floor* Boy, I tell ya, these guitar playas and they stupid knob settins ... they neva loin ...

Def 2005-02-01 14:09

Here's mine:

4th channel (High-gain distortion)

(from 1 to 10!)
Gain : 8
Bass : 8
Midopen : 6
Midfocused : 5
Treble : 7
Presence : 7/8

Bright switch : on
Depth Boost : 8
Lead Bottom switch : on

1st Clean channel:

Gain : 5
Bass : 7
Mid : 4
Treble clean : 7
Treble crunch : 0
Presence : 6

Bright Switch : on

Enjoy. these settings are heavy as a motherfucker. though a powerball sounds really different depending on what cabinet you use it with. this is for use with a passive guitar and a marshall 1960B cab.

An Engl v60 cab will sound a LOT darker, its also a more heavy cab alltogether. the v30 cabs sound different to the v60's aswell. any cab will make it sound different but these settings seem to work great on both the engl and marshall cabs. I played through an Ampeg cab last weekend and it fucking owned my marshall 1960 cab!

if you want a more trashy sound, don't put in much mid-focussed and more mid-open, mine's set pretty neutral because I want a tighter sound instead of an over-focussed sound or really open sound!

so where did you find one used? and how much are they charging?

xdislexicx 2005-02-01 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
Here's mine:

(from 1 to 10!)

from an engl powerball???? that sounds like it would instantly set a newborn on fire... :eek:

arvina 2005-02-01 19:02

is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Def 2005-02-01 19:29

depends if you like kids? :confused:

xdislexicx 2005-02-01 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvina
is that a good thing or a bad thing?

probably a good thing... more of a brutal thing.

i mean, on the highest gain channel of an amp like the powerball he has his gain at 8 and stuff? yikes, that has got to give you the squirts. ;)

Def 2005-02-01 19:36

lets just say it gives the guy with the ritchie blackmore signature a boner ;)

brutal is where it's at if you play a powerball, these settings are not as brutal as it can get but thats overdoing it, I like heavy tone but I don't like 'way' bassy tone with less defined mids and highs, you know?

and well, it has a lot of useable gain, I like to use it, I love how it rips on stage with these settings! (and fuck, those ampeg cabs rule, they're RARE here though...)

xdislexicx 2005-02-01 19:45

the richie can get plenty brutal for my tastes, but when i saw that you turn your powerball's gain up to 8, wow...

what ampeg cab is it and what kind of speakers does it have?

my friend is selling one for only like $150. totally decent cab imo.

Def 2005-02-01 19:50

yup, the blackmore can get pretty brutal but gain wise it can't really compare to the powerball, seems like the savage is around the same area though (maybe even a tad more but it tends to get more buzzy where the powerball can actually use it in tone)

I don't know what cab it was, I borrowed it from a band from Hungary last friday, since I didn't bring my own and I heard I could use their backline, or at least part of it.

I do have a pic of it but only the front, it sounded pretty similar to a bogner v30 cab where I played my powerball on too but I can't find any info on those ampeg cabs. it's no use though, you can't buy them over here used and/or new, they're super-rare.

for 150 that must be a steal, I don't know if the one I played had v30's in it or something else but it sure did kick ass. I'de definetly check that cab out, it suprised me since I only knew Ampeg of their single guitar top and all their bass gear...

arvina 2005-02-01 22:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
the richie can get plenty brutal for my tastes, but when i saw that you turn your powerball's gain up to 8, wow...

what ampeg cab is it and what kind of speakers does it have?

my friend is selling one for only like $150. totally decent cab imo.

what kind of speakers are in it? im interested.

xdislexicx 2005-02-02 00:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvina
what kind of speakers are in it? im interested.

that's the thing, i don't know.... one of my friends came up to me and asked if it was a good cab because so so was selling it for $150, i was like, "not sure of the specs, but what do your ears tell you?" he's going to give it a good whirl.

philkilla 2005-02-03 01:08

I think I'm going to go over sea's just to get an Engl god dammit

xdislexicx 2005-02-03 10:45

why? you're in america right? www.rocksolidamps.com

BEHEMOTH 2005-02-04 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
Here's mine:

(from 1 to 10!)

1st Clean channel:

Gain : 5
Bass : 7
Mid : 4
Treble clean : 7
Treble crunch : 0
Presence : 6

Bright Switch : on

Enjoy. these settings are heavy as a motherfucker. ............................

so where did you find one used? and how much are they charging?

Heheheh that setting are the good ones for the Powerball, i think. but i donīt know if its my problem or I need an 1.000.000.000 euros amp. Hehehehe.

I "donīt" like the powerball, nor the jcm2000 dsl 100. I need more Brutality. I donīt know what to say.

I donīt know which the price was, because is a friend and he didnīt say anything about it because I tried and didnīt like it too much, so i didnīt ask for it.

My brother liked it a lot and he has bought a NEW engl powerball, this morning. So Iīll try it more.

I donīt know anything about amps except i donīt like anyone. I need a custom signature one(hehhehehheh).
But how knows Iīm a crazy bastard speking about music. I donīt like Death and donīt like MorbĄd angel= :ban:

Now whe are here, which isthe secret to sound like Dying fetus (not technically,only the gear)

ThANk you man, especially DEF Con II.

VI.VI.VI.

BEHEMOTH 2005-02-04 12:45

I forgot to tell you that my brother paid 1500 € for a new ENGL powerball.
and i know one here (in europe) who wants to sell a second handed one for 1400€ :eek: :uzi:

Crazy people.

Necro_Butcher 2005-02-04 14:42

john from fetus uses an ampeg vh 140c head

you can get one of those for a 1/4 of the price of a powerball

xdislexicx 2005-02-04 15:40

did he say that the powerball wasnt brutal enough????

try a framus cobra, vht pittbull, bogner uberschall, deizel herbert or vh4....

but something must be wrong with you or the amp if the powerball isnt brutal enough...

BLS 2005-02-04 18:18

no shit..

Def 2005-02-25 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
did he say that the powerball wasnt brutal enough????

try a framus cobra, vht pittbull, bogner uberschall, deizel herbert or vh4....

but something must be wrong with you or the amp if the powerball isnt brutal enough...

the Cobra isn't more brutal then the Powerball IMO. I don't think the Uberschall is either, but it does have (even) more effective gain which is usable. it just sounds way different though. definetly one of the best amps around, more versatile too but damn expensive

the Pitbull and Diezel Herbert both are the most insane amps I've ever played. not that I would ever be able to afford one in the near future, those are both KILLER and definetly in a class above the Powerball and regular Savage series. they're prolly in the SE head range, hehe.