MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   List of all bands who tune to Drop D, D, Eb, or Standard E? (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17615)

John Holland 2005-01-28 18:37

List of all bands who tune to Drop D, D, Eb, or Standard E?

I've made a commitment to stop relying on downtuning to sound heavy, that is, I now tune standard/Drop D.

But what with bands tuning to B, C, A, G, and everywhere in between, I'd rather keep my standard/drop D tuning and develop my playing likewise. Constantly changing tuning across all six strings is not good for your neck, I hear.

So besides the obvious bands ( Pantera, LOG, Megadeth, Slayer, etc. ) that tune to standard/drop d, can everyone contribute to said list of bands? I basically want to build a giant folder of mp3 music I will practice to ( I now have a job that will permit me to practice 6-7 hours daily :D ).

This might be a useless thread, but there have been worse :p

Transient 2005-01-28 18:49

uhhhh

some bands even change from track to track. if someone plays in drop d changes are the music sucks
case in point

nirvana
blink 182

and so on

John Holland 2005-01-28 19:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
uhhhh

some bands even change from track to track. if someone plays in drop d changes are the music sucks
case in point

nirvana
blink 182

and so on

wow, thanks , you're a big help :p

Edit :

In all actuality, I realize that this is an utterly pointless and stupid thread that I made. I promise never again to make threads/posts with a six pack of coors on the desk next to the computer. Alchohol and forum-frequenting don't mix :smash:

TheDreadfulHoroscope 2005-01-28 20:27

Vader does drop D, they are good to practice.

Infinity 2005-01-28 20:27

For the love of god don't ever play in drop anything.

philkilla 2005-01-28 20:32

If you get in the habit of drop tuning, you were lose a lot of skill compared to if you played in a normally tuned guitar, ( I don't mean just E either) just a guitar that isn't drop-tuned.....

guitar_demon 2005-01-28 20:36

drop-d sucks, tunning to D is cool

morbid angel
death

NOT drop-d but D that is tunning all strings down a whole step, and using more than one finger..

Infinity 2005-01-28 20:38

Don't Nile tune to A?

G_urr_A 2005-01-28 20:39

Nile - Drop A and
Psycroptic - Drop D

Two examples of bands that are not exactly playing with just one finger...

John Holland 2005-01-28 20:55

this thread is fast becoming irrelavent anyhow, but ...

You guys do realize that I do not intend on using drop tuning exclusively ... I don't see the point in tuning all six strings down one whole tone when I all I want is that D/D# power chord ... But then that would make sense, which would'nt be xtreme br00tal l33t metal :vampire:, now would'nt it?

DeathCS 2005-01-28 20:57

D-
Necrophagist
Deeds Of Flesh

Cannibal Corpse tunes to Eb on their first 4 albums.
Deicide is always in Eb.
Thats all I can think of right now

guitar_demon 2005-01-28 21:12

necrophagist only does d? cool

FearFrost 2005-01-28 23:55

thrash was built around E-Eb

Drop D is an odd in my books (dont really know of any right now)

deicide uses Eb i think
old CC stufff does
old morbid angel does
Pantera's old old stuff is in E
Maiden - E
Priest - E
Thats all i can think of right now...

Chris Rezendes 2005-01-29 00:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNIBALCORPSE
D-
Necrophagist
Deeds Of Flesh

Cannibal Corpse tunes to Eb on their first 4 albums.
Deicide is always in Eb.
Thats all I can think of right now

Deicide isn't always in Eb. They are in E on Legion, their best album, and they are on D on Insineratehymn, their worst album. They are also in standard for most of the 'demos' on Amon- Feasting the Beast- you know, the demos that mysteriously sound like redone tracks. They are also in D on In Torment in Hell, or at least for the tracks I remember.

Dark Angel's first two albums are tuned standard, their 3rd album is in D, and their last album was in Eb. Their last two albums are especially well written.

Exhorder tuned to D on their first album.

Kreator were tuned to D on Pleasure to Kill, and while I have a couple of their other albums, I'm not sure what they're tuned in.

I'm pretty sure Destruction were always tuned in standard.

As far as I can remember, Iron Maiden were always tuned in standard, but I don't have some of their later albums.

Nasty Savage were always tuned in E. You probably haven't heard them, but you must. They were pretty influential on the Florida death scene, Glen Benton even mentions mentions their importance in an interview, albeit briefly.

I have to go wake up kind of early for school tomorrow, so I'm off, but I will give you more stuff to work with sometimes tomorrow afternoon or evening.

DeathCS 2005-01-29 00:27

Well, all the Deicide songs I've learned were in Eb :p

andrewc 2005-01-29 00:38

pretty much every black metal band tunes to between D and E
then, some of my favourites:

dark tranquility - Eb
children of bodom - D
the crown - E
opeth - E, occasionally drop D (black water park), occasionally straight D
the haunted - Eb, D
mithotyn - D
finntroll - D
pantera - E, D
nightwish - E, D
iron maiden - E (on early stuff, and has one tuned guitar these days)
decapitated - D
necrophagist - D
psycroptic - drop D
dew-scented - D
metallica - E
megdaeth - E
slayer - Eb (until diabolic disaster of music)

Soulinsane 2005-01-29 00:47

I use Eb on all my 6 strings, but drop tunings can bring out new riff/rythem/skills too. I don't use drop tunings often but I do use them at least once a day. Just don't be lazy with it. There are a few things that you can do in drop that can't be done while in standard tuning. For example I can get more chunck out of fast riffs while in drop tunings. I just drop my Eb standard tuning to drop Db and roll from there. Even with a trem I don't go out of tune so I don't believe that it will hurt the neck, because the overall tention doesn't change that much... but I use Kahler trems too so I don't know if that makes a real difference.

John Holland 2005-01-29 02:42

Yes, transpose the opening riff for "Fight Fire With Fire" on a drop D tuning ( barring the second fret for E ), and it just does'nt sound 'right'.

Soulinsane 2005-01-29 02:45

I'm not saying transpose all songs to drop tuning but do come up with new things that can't be done in standard. Origional stuff. Just have fun.

Cloaca 2005-01-29 03:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_demon
drop-d sucks, tunning to D is cool

You take that back! You need to hear Psycroptic man! I hate it how many people have this pre-conceived notion that Drop tunings automatically mean the band plays nu-metal tripe or something along the lines of that.

No tuning sucks. Anyone with enough creativity can make any kickass riffs/songs in ANY tuning.