MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music Theory (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   double note one is sharp (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17488)

pinkerbell 2005-01-24 14:55

double note one is sharp

i'm relearning the piano after 20 years with beethoven's moonlight sonata. i've encountered a note printed twice and one is sharp and the other is not. how do i play this? do i play 2 keys? the regular note and the sharp?

guitar_demon 2005-01-24 15:08

can you give a pic of it? are they above each other or side by side?
if above-then yes play both at the same time harmonicaly
if side by side-then play one after the other melodically

pinkerbell 2005-01-24 15:39

as you can tell, i'm new to this sight, so i'll try to send a picture ...

no, i can't. i can e-mail it to you ...
the notes are the same, let's say a b and a b sharp, side by side. i have so many questions, what does a little "x" to the left a note mean?

guitar_demon 2005-01-24 16:03

if theyre side by side, then play one then the other with the correct timing like
---------------
---------------
----o--#o---------
---------------
---------------
if thats the case play the B then the B#

the "X" next to a note means its double sharped, if you have this then it means to take the original note and add a whole step to it
so if you have a Ax then it really means to play a B , thats the trickery of enharminoc values :)
any more Q's just ask :beer:

TruthDevoid 2005-01-24 16:08

hey guitar demon, i've been wondering this and you just reminded me to ask, what is the point of a double sharped note? why don't they just make it a B instead of Ax?

pinkerbell 2005-01-24 16:10

thank you very much! musicians are so friendly and helpful. i joined a sheet music sharing forum and it doesn't matter if you have anything at all to share! the members e-mail music freely! i feel like i'm entering a whole new world! a world shared by only those who are passionate about music. i love music! (maybe i shouldn't have smoked the whole thing, but life seems so much more exhilirating!)

TruthDevoid 2005-01-24 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerbell
(maybe i shouldn't have smoked the whole thing, but life seems so much more exhilirating!)

I think you should smoke some more for me! :stoned:

guitar_demon 2005-01-24 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthDevoid
hey guitar demon, i've been wondering this and you just reminded me to ask, what is the point of a double sharped note? why don't they just make it a B instead of Ax?

because for some instances you need an A value so you would need the double sharp like....

say your in the C# scale and you have a p5 interval
------------------
------------------
------------------
--#o--------------
------------------
--#o--
(^ledger line...)

so you have C# to G#
but now you want to make that an augmented 5, you have to take that G# and raise it another half step AND you have to keep the G note value so you must go up to a Gx

make sence?

TruthDevoid 2005-01-24 16:27

yeah actually it does. haha looks like i'm starting to get the hang of this shit. thanks bro

pinkerbell 2005-01-24 16:28

ok, so what if you have a note, let's say an f that has both the flat and sharp signs in front of them?

guitar_demon 2005-01-24 16:35

have you actually seen that? I have never seen that, and from what i Know its not possable....

you sure it wasnt this?
l
l____
l____l
.......l
.......l

this meens its a natural note, so if you were in the key of Bb and you wanted a natural B (just a normal B) then you would throw that symbol in front of it.

pinkerbell 2005-01-24 16:39

no, i'm really seeing a flat and a sharp symbol. was beethoven a drinker?

guitar_demon 2005-01-24 16:40

#bA???

im at a loss for words, cause they would cancel eachother out and you would be left with just an "A" note...
maybe powersofterror can enlighten us...

powersofterror 2005-01-24 22:43

Ahhh, Demon's right there's no such thing as that. If there is a sharp and a flat together- in front of- the same chord, then that sharp and flat are refering to different notes in the chord. For ex., I assume that the flat and the sharp are not on the same line or space?

pinkerbell 2005-01-25 23:25

they're actually side by side. the one in front is 1/8 note and the second on the same line is a 1/4 and on that same line is a flat and sharp symbol. i can't figure it out!

pinkerbell 2005-01-25 23:27

landrover lrc commercial

and hey! does anyone know who does the song in the Landrover LRC commercial?

TruthDevoid 2005-01-26 00:00

I still don't get what you're saying about the flat and sharp on the same line. can ya get us a picture or something?

powersofterror 2005-01-26 09:58

Damnit, gimme the measure #.

pinkerbell 2005-01-28 14:17

1 Attachment(s)
ok. i think i've figured a way to get you guys a picture. i think it's attached.

pinkerbell 2005-01-28 14:22

1 Attachment(s)
alrighty. now that i got the hang of attachments, here's another ... same note twice w/ a sharp in front of it.