MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   2Pac: Good? (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16975)

Seasons in the Abyss 2005-01-05 22:23

2Pac: Good?

I never got into rap and all that, but somewhere in the middle of talking about foreign bands, the topic somehow changed to 2Pac. My friends, who are probably into more black/death like myself, one surprised me by saying they respect 2Pac. When I asked him, he said because he actually wrote about interesting, and conflicting issues and not just about pointless topics like 'bitches', 'ho's and all that riff raff.

He went to the length of calling him a 'lyrical genius', but I'm still not quite sure.

So now I am here to ask other fellow people of this forum on what you think of the guy. Was he as great as people say he was? I don't know very much on him, and I'm not too sure if I should take a look into it, at my current standpoint, I'm shaking my head.

What are your thoughts on 2Pac?

SixfeetUnder420 2005-01-05 22:26

Rap sucks

Infinity 2005-01-05 22:27

RAP FUCKING SUCKS, GO FUCK YOURSELF

Hate Eternal 2005-01-05 22:28

Rap is shit and your a cunt for making this thread, nigger G.

guitar_demon 2005-01-05 22:34

i think he summed it best himself, he admited he was a thug and a degenerate what more is there to say

timedragon 2005-01-05 22:36

politicians talk about conflicting issues too. simply doing this wont gain my respect or time. korn could start writing the best lyrics ever and i still wouldnt give a shit. same goes for the (c)rapper 6 pac

PST 88 2005-01-05 23:22

Is there anything more predictable or annoying than a metalhead's reaction to that horrible three letter word?

Rap is fine. A lot of it sucks. Some of it is very good. Intelligent lyrics slways appeal to me, even when it's not my favorite genre. Tupac never did much for me, though. You people are very, very boring.

Seasons in the Abyss 2005-01-05 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
RAP FUCKING SUCKS, GO FUCK YOURSELF

Typical.....

Thanks for the pointless contribution.

Drag the Waters 2005-01-06 00:09

rap does indeed suck, but the only rapper today i think actually writes anything decent is Eminem.

Chris Rezendes 2005-01-06 01:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasons in the Abyss
I never got into rap and all that, but somewhere in the middle of talking about foreign bands, the topic somehow changed to 2Pac. My friends, who are probably into more into metal then I am, completely despise most commercial bands and all rappers going today, yet they respect 2Pac. When I asked them, they said because he actually wrote about conflicting issues and not about pointless topics like 'bitches', 'ho's' and all that riff raff.

One of my buds actually went to the length to call him a lyrical genius, but I didn't really find him convincing.

So now I am here to ask other fellow people of this forum on what you think of the guy. Was he as great as people say he was? I don't know very much on him, and I'm not too sure if I should take a look into it, at my current standpoint, I'm shaking my head.

What are your thoughts on 2Pac?

2Pac is extremely overrated. He wrote some good social commentary earlier on in his career, but he ended up turning into the stereotypical gangsta rapper by the time he joined Death Row Records.

If you are interested in rappers with much better social commentary who never turned themselves into self parodies, I'd suggest you check out Ice Cube (especially the first 3 records) and anything by KRS-1 and his old group, Boogie Down Productions. I'd recommend Onyx as well, but not as strongly. I listen to this stuff occasionally. I also listen to other hip-hop occasionally (like NWA, old Snoop Dogg, old Dr. Dre), but not for the good lyrics, because they are usually just goofy gangsta/drug/sex/violence lyrics. As much I enjoy some of this stuff, I really can't listen to it for more than a couple of hours. You just can't beat metal, man.

Also, for the record, I know there exists an entire genre of underground hip-hop rap that is supposed to be far better than the mainstream stuff. I remember when I was in high school, I was hardcore into the underground thrash and shit, and I had this friend who was just as hardcore into underground rap. He was always telling me I should check it out, but I never really did because I didn't have the money to expend (all my money went to metal tapes and school supplies). He swore by this stuff, and he hated the mainstream stuff except Ice Cube. So, for what it's worth, there is apparently a parellel with the hip-hop world, and from the way he explained it to me, guys like 2Pac were to him like Korn are to us. Unfortunately, I have no idea who his Monstrosity or Malevolent Creation are, or else I'd tell you.

BLS 2005-01-06 02:12

I'll stick wif my horrorcore foo's!

ICP and ONYX

deMANUfacture 2005-01-06 03:52

Woo 2pac, He was loved because of his Presence on the Mic and his flow. He didnt have the best lyrics and wasnt a genius but he was a thug and nobody could light up a crowd like he did. If you want lyrical genius, Jayz is ya man. He freestyled 6 albums every song one take and touches on a lot of important facts and interesting things and still has time to say how good he is.

BLS 2005-01-06 03:56

naw..

Master P!!

UGHHHHH UGHHHH NA NA NA NAAAAA

LEMME HEAR YA SAY UGHHHHH UGHHHH NA NA NA NAAAA

deMANUfacture 2005-01-06 03:58

ok your cool

BrokenCrimson 2005-01-06 05:25

I respect any talented musician no matter what genre they play. Think about the metal people see - rapper dudes nickname metalheads Slips after Slipknot. The mainstream shit is just the tip of the iceberg, and metalheads are on a different iceberg from rappers. They're also on a different icebreg from techno listeners, and on a different iceberg from punks, and what we see from our smug and safe iceberg of metal isn't enough to pass a good judgement.

Def 2005-01-06 05:58

cypress hill y'all!

Chris Rezendes 2005-01-06 06:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
cypress hill y'all!

I just got some of their stuff. I like it. They sound Hispanic, like Mexican or Puerto Rican or something. I'm gonna look them up and see what I can find.

My apologies if you were being sarcastic. I really can't tell if you're joking.

deMANUfacture 2005-01-06 06:19

they mite sound like that because the main rapper in the group is actually of hispanic background. He was a gun shooting member of the latin kings gang in the neighbourhoods he grew up in, the rest of the band is american.

BassBehemoth 2005-01-06 08:04

Tupac was such a fucking hypocrite..he wanted to get out of the "gangsta life" my ass. :uzi:

Sodomaniac 2005-01-06 09:14

who or what is 2pac ? :confused: