MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Guitar Broken? (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16727)

4d5e6f 2004-12-26 10:46

Guitar Broken?
 
I just got an electric guitar for christmas, and one of the things with the 6 dots on it (pickups?) in the middle is slanted, like a '/' but not as steep. Is my guitar broken, or is it meant to be like that?

SmotPoker 2004-12-26 10:57

no its ment to be like that.

Tattered 2004-12-26 11:32

No its not broken, like smotpoker said, its just ment to be like that..

see -> http://www.customvintageelectricgui...SC00316-red.jpg

guitar_demon 2004-12-26 12:58

i have never seen the one in the middle slanted. i think he might have ment that one of the sides "caved in" so that the pickup it self is tilted (one side higher than the other)?

4d5e6f 2004-12-26 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_demon
i have never seen the one in the middle slanted. i think he might have ment that one of the sides "caved in" so that the pickup it self is tilted (one side higher than the other)?


Yes, the way my guitar is: 4 pickups. 1 pickup at the base of the fretboard, then a space, then there's the middle one, which is slanted so the side near my E string caves in slightly and the side of it under my e string is slightly raised, then I have a space and two pickups together.

Also, I just started playing today, and I just got done practicing jingle bells (easy to learn for me),a nd my index finger's fingertip is purple. Is that normal?

Also #2, in the jingle bells tab (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/inc/print.php3?id=41829), there's a "-"-" in it, what does that mean? The author didn't say.

Tattered 2004-12-26 13:53

Haha, ehm, not really.. are you cold? there not supposed to go purple.. unless its bruised? then you must have really thin/sensitive fingers... its supposed to go hard and string imprinted, haha.

4d5e6f 2004-12-26 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatter3d
Haha, ehm, not really.. are you cold? there not supposed to go purple.. unless its bruised? then you must have really thin/sensitive fingers... its supposed to go hard and string imprinted, haha.


I just started playing today, and pretty much the only other finger-intensive thing that I do with my left hand is typing. Plus, I am a bit cold right now.

Also, whenever I use a screwdriver on the screws next to that pickup, I can change its slope. Really neat screw mechanism. Should I make it level, or just leave it alone at its caved in slant?

guitar_demon 2004-12-26 14:53

i would make it level, and the pickup near the bridge the "two together" thats called a humbucker

HermanRi! 2004-12-26 15:03

post a pic of your guitar so we can be sure ;)

4d5e6f 2004-12-27 14:14

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=GRX40

Rapture 2004-12-27 14:24

yea, just use the screw and make it level.

IRON FART 2004-12-27 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d5e6f

Also, I just started playing today, and I just got done practicing jingle bells (easy to learn for me),a nd my index finger's fingertip is purple. Is that normal?


Do you bruise easily or something? lol

Keep playing even if it hurts. After a few days, maybe a week the skin on the tip of you index finger will harden and you'll feel no pain at all and it wont go purple (unless you are playing naked in the snow).

DeathCS 2004-12-27 23:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d5e6f
Yes, the way my guitar is: 4 pickups. 1 pickup at the base of the fretboard, then a space, then there's the middle one, which is slanted so the side near my E string caves in slightly and the side of it under my e string is slightly raised, then I have a space and two pickups together.

Also, I just started playing today, and I just got done practicing jingle bells (easy to learn for me),a nd my index finger's fingertip is purple. Is that normal?

Also #2, in the jingle bells tab (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/inc/print.php3?id=41829), there's a "-"-" in it, what does that mean? The author didn't say.

Just even it out with by twisting the screws on the sides of the pickup.
Practice more and your fingers should be fine.
the "--"s are just spacers.

younguitarist 2004-12-27 23:27

" = tremolo note

DeathCS 2004-12-27 23:38

Oops, I didnt really read what he posted. Yeah what younguitarist said.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:22.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.