MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music Theory (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Tetrachord discovery? (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16657)

Kalmahswamp 2004-12-23 20:55

Tetrachord discovery?

If you take the last major in the first tetrachord, and make it the first note in a tetrachord (while the first major becomes the first note in the 2nd tetrachord), then you take the 3rd minor in the new 2nd tetrachord, you then expand it into its scale. Then you plug it in as a jazz melodic minor and basically create a 9 note scale (including the octave). You also can theoretically make it a 19 note scale due to the fact that all the notes can arguable be in the same scale. This may not make much sense in writing, maybe i'll scan some drawing to help explain it, its really fascinating though...if you understand it, or if im incorrect...let me know what you think...heres a link to the pic that i drew out...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...mber0120048.jpg

Kalmahswamp 2004-12-23 20:56

it may just be "borrowing" notes from other scales...but in theory it makes a huge scale

Cloaca 2004-12-24 01:27

Do you mean its like a scale over 2 octaves???

rapeandruin 2004-12-24 02:33

you obviously know nothing about music theory Kalmahswamp because I won first place in the Division 3 championships of music theory.

Just fucking with you...i wish i could properly respond and help you.

h4x5k8 2004-12-24 03:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapeandruin
Division 3 champsions

:rofl:

powersofterror 2004-12-24 09:46

Maybe I could write something cool if i knew how to read that:scatter::rolleyes::o.
But to answer Cloaca, most "fucked up" scales require 2 octaves to sort of fix itself out. For example, the A whole tone scale....

Kalmahswamp 2004-12-24 10:43

[QUOTE=powersofterror]Maybe I could write something cool if i knew how to read thatQUOTE]

haha sorry...it is pretty sloppy...maybe i should draw up another one

Rapture 2004-12-24 23:09

the picture is more confusing than the text. and thats saying a lot

Kalmahswamp 2004-12-24 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew1331
the picture is more confusing than the text. and thats saying a lot

Its just a little tetrachord theory...if youre rusty on them, it may be a little confusing, i think the text is pretty clear, but i'll admit the drawing is kind of sloppy

Rapture 2004-12-25 12:40

i have no fucking clue what a tetrachord is

brainsforbreakfast 2004-12-25 13:10

I have no idea eather. Can some of you theory buffs explain?

johnmansley 2004-12-25 13:45

http://www.jazclass.aust.com/scales/tetra.htm

Jonz 2005-04-01 17:08

Very very interesting idea dude, I learned about Tetrachords and combining them to make the major scale, etc about a week and a half ago in my guitar class - The only problem I can see with this is that it looks to me that the tonal center is changing (key) from the major (A), to minor (F #), and finally to jazz melodic minor (C#). I'm not sure if this would end up sounding 'right', but I bet it has a unique sound to it. I haven't learned the fretboard quite well enough yet to be able to play that scale without putting a whole lot of thought into it - perhaps you could tab out what the resulting scale is from that?

feetunderwarpath 2005-07-09 16:59

I thought that you could combine your scales anyway. I mean like one specific scale, like the C Major obviously has more than one position and when I improvise I don't limit my self to one position of a scale.

Dissection 2005-07-10 23:26

Jesus christ, I don't think my brain could ever comprehend this stuff. I have the basics of music theory, but even that was a pain. Some of its just fucking BORING.

OpethFan 2005-07-11 04:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissection
Jesus christ, I don't think my brain could ever comprehend this stuff. I have the basics of music theory, but even that was a pain. Some of its just fucking BORING.

That diagram in the attachment scares me more than calculus

Dissection 2005-07-11 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethFan

Haha, yeah, man. I understand logs (calc) and this shit is a pain in the ass! maybe if I knew what the hell a tetrachord was, I wouldn't be as confused.

johnmansley 2005-07-11 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethFan

Fuck off! I guarantee that you haven't seen ugly calculus until you've integrated paths and contours in the complex plane. Give me tetrachord theory any day.

Kalmahswamp 2005-07-11 14:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
Give me tetrachord theory any day.

I second that.

I thought this thread was dead. Anyway, Mansley, whats your take on my little theory?

johnmansley 2005-07-11 14:37

Hang on 'til I finish this integration problem...