MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music Theory (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   how to read sheet music (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16171)

Rattlehead 2005-04-28 16:32

I understand all of this stuff, but I wish I could just pick up some sheet music and play it ... I always have to think to remember which note is which, and how long to hold them.... usually by the time I figure out the next note and how long to play it, I've already screwed up. It's one thousand times easier for me to listen to something and then reproduce it.
I wish I could just read and play properly (although probably at a slower tempo for starters) without having to stop and think about it. Especially when I have to think to remember what scale I'm in so I know which ones are sharp or flat.

guitar_demon 2005-04-28 18:00

yea thats the problem for most people that arnt taught "properly" in the begging. my advice would be to get a begginer book and start 'sight-reading' with that. they always have slow songs with very few notes in them. like anything though its all about sitting down and practice practice practice.

feetunderwarpath 2005-05-02 14:35

Isn't the guitar written a half octave lower than the other instruments?

powersofterror 2005-05-02 15:28

?

tchambliss 2005-05-03 08:48

I recommend the berklees modern method for guitar series, individually with the cds they are about erm. .. 70 dollars buying from www.berkleemusic.com I buy from them occasionally but yeah, The Joe Stump DVD isn't bad either but yeah, he doesn't explain much he just jams and assumes you watch his hands really closely him and his screwed up grill. . . . I sound so ghetto

andrewc 2005-05-04 03:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by feetunderwarpath

why would it be like that? :confused:

tchambliss 2005-05-04 08:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc
why would it be like that? :confused:

If you downtune enough it could be. . . I mean look at meshuggah. . . that's a prime example of what I'm referring to. In most cases like in E tuning it shouldn't be any lower than any other instrument because it's still on treble clef. Below the preceding C any tuning you use will fall into bass clef a little which would make it quite different. Hell I don't even know what I'm rambling about anymore. But I think you are right andrewc.

amerok 2005-05-04 20:42

Most horns are higher than the guitar. Thats why they have to transpose all the instruments sheet music, to make them sound the same. I know little about big band playing so im not sure how the exact tunings go.

JOAMdude 2006-03-31 16:47

not to be rude but why is it good or necessary to kno how to read music.
I kno what notes i'm hitting when im playing but tabbing just seems more effective

johnmansley 2006-03-31 16:57

Because you can't sight read a tab without having an intimate knowledge of the song already. Sheet music also contains the tempo, note durations, how those notes combine rhythmically with others and the style in which to play a passage (softly, loudly, etc).

amerok 2006-03-31 18:32

if you want to play jazz or classical reading is a must. you have to be able to sightread charts. other than guitar and.. bass i suppose, all instruments require sheet music, so you need to be able to read the same format as everyone else in your group. plus what john said

YJM04 2006-04-01 12:51

when sight reading i suggest that the first time u take a look at sheet music, u try and clap out the rythms, cuz thats the main thing that peeps have a hard time with when sight reading dynamics and rythms.depending on the grade level of the song, sometimes u can play the notes how u think they should go, cuz its supposed to attract peeps not to scare them away. u'll probly be 60% accurate doing this.

YJM04 2006-04-01 12:56

#=sharp
b=flat
dude key sigs are easy to read

deadnight_warrior 2006-04-02 05:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
Because you can't sight read a tab without having an intimate knowledge of the song already. Sheet music also contains the tempo, note durations, how those notes combine rhythmically with others and the style in which to play a passage (softly, loudly, etc).

i can sight read guitar pro tabs :p

JonR 2006-09-23 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by feetunderwarpath
No, it's an octave higher. (sounds an octave lower)

The note "middle C" on piano, violin, flute, oboe (standard "concert" instruments) is written on the ledger line under the treble clef stave.

In guitar music, middle C is written in the 3rd space up.
So if a pianist was to look at some music written for guitar, they would end up playing it all an octave higher than it should sound.
Likewise, if you were to play music written for piano or violin, you'd be playing it an octave lower than it should sound.

This is because if guitar was written in concert treble clef, most of the notes would be way off the bottom of the stave. Treble clef was designed for high register instruments (and piano right hand), and guitar is mid-range. There is no dedicated mid-range clef (other than the rare tenor and alto clefs), so we adapt the treble clef by lowering the stave by an octave, so it covers (roughly) the middle range of guitar, instead of the top.

Same for bass (double bass or bass guitar). It's written in bass clef (F clef), an octave higher than concert.

(Hey, if you think this is complicated, you dont wanna know about transposing instruments like saxes and trumpets... :eek: )

HAMMERSMASHEDFACE 2007-01-24 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAMdude
not to be rude but why is it good or necessary to kno how to read music.
I kno what notes i'm hitting when im playing but tabbing just seems more effective

i ask my self that a lot but it is something cool to know the only problem is in most of those books the songs are realy not interesting it is like why would i want to play ode to joy when i could play some death metal so yeah i know what you mean

and great job on the thread i actually learned something

tmfreak 2007-01-24 20:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
i ask my self that a lot but it is something cool to know the only problem is in most of those books the songs are realy not interesting it is like why would i want to play ode to joy when i could play some death metal so yeah i know what you mean

and great job on the thread i actually learned something

As far as guitar goes it seems kinda eh, but if you play piano, for god sakes it makes everythign so easy. Thats where it was created from and everything branched off and used that notation.

But if you've definately sat behind a piano you'll know the answer to that question within seconds.

L,B'XXX 2007-01-24 22:41

I learned to read regular music before I ever saw a tab. Having that extra line and a faulty memory aren't good for tab reading. My kid can pick thengs up with tabs so simply, but it's a struggle for me. But reading and playing sometimes is still crazy for me either way.

tmfreak 2007-01-24 23:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by L,B'XXX
I learned to read regular music before I ever saw a tab. Having that extra line and a faulty memory aren't good for tab reading. My kid can pick thengs up with tabs so simply, but it's a struggle for me. But reading and playing sometimes is still crazy for me either way.

How can tabs be difficult? haha. I can sight read just about any song i've never played. I guess i've spent quite a bit of time looking at tabs (int he past) and since i forced myeslf to learn to play while reading i've gotten good at it.

L,B'XXX 2007-01-25 07:30

I just haven't done it that much. It's easier than it was, but I can still read the other stuff better. Ten years of seeing choir music will do that though.