MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music Theory (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   theory... (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15758)

ManOwaR 2004-11-21 10:53

theory...

do you think it is very important to learn a lot of theory?

guitar_demon 2004-11-21 12:58

depends what you wanna do i guess, if you wanna compese symphonies then yes. but look at chuck he found it very boring so he never botherd to learn and he did fine without it

younguitarist 2004-11-21 13:16

I know some theory. I think anubisXy and darko know their theory.
http://metaltabs.com/forum/showpost...6&postcount=109 :confused:

Transient 2004-11-21 15:24

im taking a college course in it.

DeathCS 2004-11-21 15:26

I know a bit of it. Its good stuff to know.

Necro_Butcher 2004-11-21 15:39

well

my theory on Music theory is as follows:

the reason music threoy exsists is so one can make Pleasent music.
so if you go one note out of your perfect scale and it sounds killer, then it is killer, dont limit yourself with theory, use it to make your playing better but dont allow it limit what you do

guitar_demon 2004-11-21 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
im taking a college course in it.

arnt you in high school?

Credit to Dementia 2004-11-21 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_demon
arnt you in high school?

It's pretty easy to take college courses while in high school.

Theory can be important, especially for creating variations on a motif or doing work with more than one guitar. It's basically another weapon in the arsenal and can open the fretboard in interesting ways. But as Necro_Butcher said, don't get stuck in just one way of looking at playing; theory is useful, but not if it makes you afraid to paint outside the lines.

TheDreadfulHoroscope 2004-11-21 16:09

Theory, I know some, and I think's it's useful for song writing and many other things. Very useful in metal, just as much as any others.

Thrashboy 2004-11-21 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro_Butcher
well

my theory on Music theory is as follows:

the reason music threoy exsists is so one can make Pleasent music.
so if you go one note out of your perfect scale and it sounds killer, then it is killer, dont limit yourself with theory, use it to make your playing better but dont allow it limit what you do

This is very wrong. I used to think the same way, however. This is what it seems like when you only know the basics. There are theory rules about going out of your perfect scale, and its very easy to use theory to write music that doesn't sound pleasent at all.

The thing about music theory, is people see all these rules, but if you only see the basic rules, you tend to think that you'll be limited to only writing music that sounds like classical, or fluffy pretty stuff, and that it will have a certain sound to it.

The truth is, the more you learn, you start to see that there are rules for when you break rules, and rules for when you break those rules. Every rule in music theory can be broken, and there are rules for how to break that one, and rules for how to break those rules for how to break.... ect. Its a complete circle that creates complete freedom.

The point is, music theory is completely free, its just a guide. You can do anything with music theory, and when you know enough about it, it just becomes like a helper, that gives you ideas, helps you fix things that don't sound good to you and stuff like that. Its really pretty cool.

For all the thrash metal and death metal songs I write, I completely use music theory every step of the way, and the results are awesome. I couldn't apply the theory to this "not pretty" stuff untill I had a really good grasp on theory though.

That pretty sound that people associate with music theory is just what your confined to during the early learning stages of theory.

Necro_Butcher 2004-11-21 17:21

i dont mean pleasent as in pretty sounding harmonies,

i meant using it just not to sound shitty

Transient 2004-11-21 18:36

yeah, its a really hard course too :(
steve hears me complain about the homework every day

powersofterror 2004-11-21 19:52

I know theory...not as much as some yet more than enough...

SuNioj0369 2004-11-21 20:45

I'm taking a Basic Theory class in school right now. As for my writing now, I haven't been able to apply it much (nor have I enjoyed the results of its application) and its much more restricting. But, like Thrashboy stated, I would need a much broader knowledge of it to apply it to death metal.

lamb_of_god 2004-11-21 21:06

I know more theory than anyone I know around here. I use it when I want to write softer stuff or do harmonies mostly. As for those rules to breaking other rules mentioned earlier, can someone enlighten me on this, it sounds VERY interesting?

JoeYngVai 2004-11-21 21:49

I know some theory, not too much. I'm taking an unofficial course on it(it's just an elective in school, where we learn some songs and perform them, while also learning a little theory). If anybody thinks that theory, and writing down songs in "sheet music" form doesn't allow you to express yourself, and get everything down perfectly, just take a look at Steve Vai: www.vai.com

He writes all his songs down, and his music can be very abstract.

guitar_demon 2004-11-21 21:51

the only problem i have with sheet music is im not always sure how to write things and get the right timming/tune with it. i have written stuff out then givin it to teachers and they play it "wrong" i meen they play whats there but not the way i intended it to be

powersofterror 2004-11-22 03:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb_of_god
I know more theory than anyone I know around here. .....

Holy shit, that's one of the most pompous things I've read on this forum in a long while....

lamb_of_god 2004-11-22 03:31

When I said "around here" I meant in the area where I live! My friends at school and in the neighborhood is what I meant!!!

Still waiting for some enlightenment.

powersofterror 2004-11-22 03:37

haha okay....

Enlightenment..? uhhh, how can there be rules on how to break rules? That doesn't make much sense. Beethoven broke some theory "rules" in some of his writings, but those breaks aren't rules themselves......he was just fucking with it, and when someone would ask him why, he'd say something like, "because I can."