MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear & Recording (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   BEST CHEAPISH GUITAR FOR METAL (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15413)

Banishment 2004-11-08 06:56

BEST CHEAPISH GUITAR FOR METAL

I need to buy a new guitar soon: my jackson strat's intonation is so out that if you play on the 12th fret it is like a whole step too high:( it's fucking horrible. i've tried adjusting the screw things at the bridge but it just doesn't want to co-operate. i've already asked you guys what you think of b.c rich and esp and you all seemed quite anti. So what do you think is a better option for me? Maybe ibanez rg? I play some haunted type riffs and some faster stuff as well as some more straightforward chord riffs. I don't quite have bitchloads of money to spend but I need something reasonable.
By the way, I live in South Africa and I would like to order the guitar from the internet, maybe ebay or music 123.com? How much more money will i end up paying for like postage and shit?

any help would be much appreciated.

cheers

andrewc 2004-11-08 07:05

im pro-bc rich, but wrong place mate. this belongs in guitar zone.

brainsforbreakfast 2004-11-08 11:48

Buy a cheap guitar and you get what you pay for. You might get problems with a new one, as you had with th old guitar. Invest in your equipment, or take your old guitar to the guitar shop if it's a good guitar in te end.

FearFrost 2004-11-08 12:12

Ibanez RG

FUCK BC RICH!!!

Def 2004-11-08 12:53

you can try ebay for good deals, maybe a nice used kramer or ibanez rg?

FearFrost 2004-11-08 12:58

or a dime :D

MetalThrashingMad 2004-11-08 13:41

^ heh not anymore!

LTD M series on ebay, wont get much better than that.

Laareppi 2004-11-08 14:26

agreed with MTM, Ltd is the best you can get in this price range. The M-series neck is good for metal, it's wider than the Wizards etc, so you can pull off real nice riffs. I like to play e.g. Haunted riffs (with a KH202) so I know what I'm talking about. But some people don't like wider necks... Anyway you should definately go and try out!

Maybe something like this... (for example)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...3760576623&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...3760626989&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...3759226347&rd=1

MetalThrashingMad 2004-11-08 14:29

Ah yes, the necks. My M-155 neck is one of the best necks I ever played. WAY better that the Jackson soloist neck.

That third one will prolly be a little more expensive, but that second one looks pretty good to me.

xdislexicx 2004-11-08 17:13

ibanez RG.... such good guitars.

Mordor 2004-11-08 17:55

i love ibanez wizard necks mainly cos my hands are small, but i aint a big fan of the rg body, a bit to chunky.

Banishment 2004-11-12 06:50

thanks, those guitars look pretty shweet! I also looked at a shecter c1 artist limited edition (set neck, mahogany body, !jb/59 set stock!) marked down bitchloads on musicians friend.com but i dont know if i can find one that cheap somewhere that will ship to south africa.. I just want something that will be nice to play and give good tone. i know it won't immediatly sound good DI'd into the PA through my mt-2 but i want something i don't want to have to replace as my set up gets better...

brainsforbreakfast 2004-11-12 08:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banishment
thanks, those guitars look pretty shweet! I also looked at a shecter c1 artist limited edition (set neck, mahogany body, !jb/59 set stock!) marked down bitchloads on musicians friend.com but i dont know if i can find one that cheap somewhere that will ship to south africa.. I just want something that will be nice to play and give good tone. i know it won't immediatly sound good DI'd into the PA through my mt-2 but i want something i don't want to have to replace as my set up gets better...

did you try www.music123.com ?

xdislexicx 2004-11-12 09:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banishment
DI'd into the PA through my mt-2

:sickface:

Mordor 2004-11-13 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsforbreakfast
did you try www.music123.com ?

music 123 ship all over the place

Banishment 2004-11-16 06:14

Okay I tried that site, they dont have the guitar though they have one thats pretty close to it: the c1 blackjack. has anyone played any schecter guitars + what were your thoughts on them?

arvina 2004-11-16 18:13

my favorite schecter which i own is the c-1 classic.neck through, quilted maple top, vine of life inlay and jb/'59 pick up set(as in real duncans).good stuff, they go for like 500 used

xdislexicx 2004-11-16 23:17

i don't really dig the feel or look of most shecters... but lately they've been putting nice pickups in "medium level" guitars... nobody does that anymore.. even a $1,000 jackson soloist i saw at guitar center the other day had emg hz's in it, and to get an ibanez with dimarzios will cost you a fucking limb... yet you can buy a $500 shecter with a jb/59 set stock.... though i'd still take a stock $500-ish ibanez rg or jackson dinky-ish guit over it simply for feel... because if i can feel a guitar when i'm playing it then it'll sound better than a guitar i don't like the feel of that has way nice pu's. that's just me.

BLS 2004-11-16 23:56

Im a big Schecter fan, great guitars for the money. I wish they had more guitars with trems on them though. My friend wanst to buy the C-7 Blackjack but he really likes trems.. so looks like hes gonna end up with the RG 7620, both great guitars though.

brainsforbreakfast 2004-11-17 04:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
i don't really dig the feel or look of most shecters... but lately they've been putting nice pickups in "medium level" guitars... nobody does that anymore.. even a $1,000 jackson soloist i saw at guitar center the other day had emg hz's in it, and to get an ibanez with dimarzios will cost you a fucking limb... yet you can buy a $500 shecter with a jb/59 set stock.... though i'd still take a stock $500-ish ibanez rg or jackson dinky-ish guit over it simply for feel... because if i can feel a guitar when i'm playing it then it'll sound better than a guitar i don't like the feel of that has way nice pu's. that's just me.

Not to mention 100-150 bucks will get you nice pickups on ebay.