MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear & Recording (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rack or Head? (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15310)

Ademus 2004-11-02 16:12

Rack or Head?

righty, question, what would be a better, getting a nice lil rack thing going, or getting a head. if a head, what head, i am thinking about the randall rh100g2, or if rack, what gear?

and i guess a used marshall 1960 for cab

h4x5k8 2004-11-02 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ademus
righty, question, what would be a better, getting a nice lil rack thing going, or getting a head. if a head, what head, i am thinking about the randall rh100g2, or if rack, what gear?

and i guess a used marshall 1960 for cab

for a cheap good rack pre amp i like the masrshall jmp one. i forget the exact model name.

xdislexicx 2004-11-02 16:49

you should buy some of my rack gear i'm selling... like my marshall jmp-1 and my peavey classic 50/50 tube poweramp. :D
it'll all fit in a little three space rack, it'll be just as good sounding as a nice tube top, but more flexibility and options, plus it'd be smaller than your average head.

otherwise, a couple good tube heads i'd say look into are the 5150, 5150 II and the crate blue voodoo's.

Ademus 2004-11-02 17:11

could do, where bouts u live tho, im in lil old england. yeah and as im in lil old england blue voodoos go for shit loads, v annoying

xdislexicx 2004-11-02 17:55

i'm in america.

Mordor 2004-11-03 17:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ademus
could do, where bouts u live tho, im in lil old england. yeah and as im in lil old england blue voodoos go for shit loads, v annoying

i m from england to, your damn right about crate blue voodoo's bein shit loads, i saw a second hand bv60 on ebay for 400 :eek: .

Ademus 2004-11-03 17:50

yeah, amps on ebay are too much, even used marshall cabs are going for 300. any played the boss od20, i know i shounldnt keep buying pedals but is this any good, herd some sound clips and it sounds kinder over processed. i sick to death of buying shit pedal after shit pedal...

xdislexicx 2004-11-03 18:09

how much is that in u.s.d.?

Innards-Decay 2004-11-03 18:09

the randall is pretty nice. For cheap rack gear id say any digitech gsp series. for power amps that are cheap, i guess the alesis RA-100 or 300 would do.

Def 2004-11-03 18:23

if you don't have much to spend, get a head. Rack shit is expensive and that Randall will do fine for most stuff....

on another note, I might get a powerball soon :p

guitar_demon 2004-11-03 18:28

whats in your rack nowadays def...if you dont mind telling us

xdislexicx 2004-11-03 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
if you don't have much to spend, get a head. Rack shit is expensive and that Randall will do fine for most stuff....

on another note, I might get a powerball soon :p

not all racks... a decent/good preamp+poweramp rack will cost about as much as a good/decent head...

my jmp-1 + classic 50/50 setup would be just as kick-assy(maybe more, not to mention more flexible) and just as loud as a marshall tube top. and would cost the same amount(if we're talking used of course)...

that's not even the cheapest rack rig you could get, ada mp-1's are even cheaper and almost as good imo... and you don't have to get a tube poweramp.

you and your damn engl's... save up and get the se, don't even bother with the powerball. :rolleyes:

Def 2004-11-03 18:31

still the same, Engl 620 preamp and a peavey 50/50 poweramp.

besides that I have an Engl Savage and I might be buying an Engl powerball someday soon as I get my rack sold...

guitar_demon 2004-11-03 18:34

you ever come across the H&K mkII triamp over their in your amp travels? the clips from the website sounds like you could get a killer tone with it

Def 2004-11-03 18:36

Yeah, MKI's too. I can buy a MKII used too, but I'de rather get the powerball because it suits my needs better.

the Triamp is great though if you want a reaaaally versatile amp and a lot of clear tones

guitar_demon 2004-11-03 18:36

how much would it be used? new its like 2000 USD atlest

Def 2004-11-03 18:39

over there, maybe. not here.

you can get a used one with the original cab for like 2000 euro's, so a bit more in dollars, but with the cab.

the top is like 3000 new over there?

brainsforbreakfast 2004-11-03 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
how much is that in u.s.d.?

http://www.calculator.com/calcs/xchange.html

Its a rough calculation since recent curency rates are not taken in account, but it aproaches it very well.

brainsforbreakfast 2004-11-03 18:42

Hey def, doesn't that shop in Utrecht called "feedback" stock on a few Engls?
I'm dying to try that "engl" tone, but musikproduktiv in Germany is a long travel for me ;)

Def 2004-11-03 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
not all racks... a decent/good preamp+poweramp rack will cost about as much as a good/decent head...

my jmp-1 + classic 50/50 setup would be just as kick-assy(maybe more, not to mention more flexible) and just as loud as a marshall tube top. and would cost the same amount(if we're talking used of course)...

that's not even the cheapest rack rig you could get, ada mp-1's are even cheaper and almost as good imo... and you don't have to get a tube poweramp.

you and your damn engl's... save up and get the se, don't even bother with the powerball. :rolleyes:

Not really, a really good racksetup runs way more expensive!

I won't get an SE. I've tried it now, same with the Savage SE, it has too many options I don't need and the powerball does exactly what I want it too, brutal fucking tone. and nice tubey cleans, its more versatile then my savage or my rack, but its a shitload more expensive too.
The SE's are both more versatile but way above my budget, I don't want to spend 4000 bucks on a top. I mean I use it a lot too, I'de be afraid to hurt it or getting it stolen or something. A used powerball goes for about 1000 euro's here. not shabby, I've got a hook up on one now, If only I could sell my rack this weekend... then its mine.