MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Drums Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Good starting drum kit? (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13989)

Innards-Decay 2004-09-07 20:31

Good starting drum kit?

What would you guys recommend for a good starting kit? i hear tamas rockstars are pretty nice, but ive also heard good things about the pearl export series. :beer:

NZ black metal drumm 2004-09-08 00:03

I used a pearl export series for 5-6 years and they are great, I highly recomend them as a starting kit, you get reasonable quality (not the insane stuff you get eith masters stuff) for a good price.

omdthrash 2004-09-08 00:16

pearl exports, tama rockstrars are about the same thing...i never had either (i used a local store's store brand) but ive heard either of those are pretty solid,
i play mapex so id have to recommend mapex starter sets too...

BrokenCrimson 2004-09-08 06:55

Hmm... There are specific shitty starter kits that could cost you around one quater of the full price if you want something shitty fast, my first kit is a Tama Swingstar, the price was reasonable and it sounds semi decent. Pearl Exports are great to start with from what I hear.

EDIT: Who could forget Pearl Forum kits.

Vargon 2004-09-08 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innards-Decay
What would you guys recommend for a good starting kit? i hear tamas rockstars are pretty nice, but ive also heard good things about the pearl export series. :beer:

buy a used kit a export or Rockstar is cool. then spend the $ you saved on good cymbals :)

NZ black metal drumm 2004-09-08 16:16

Pearl forum = SHIT!!!!

but even though I already said this, Pearl Exports are a good buy.

SixfeetUnder420 2004-09-09 17:33

I would get a pearl export. Ive had an export select for about 4 years and its awesome.

Innards-Decay 2004-09-09 17:36

ok so the consensus is the pearl export. thanks.

NZ black metal drumm 2004-09-09 23:49

don't take our word for it, go down to your local music outlet and play on all the kits.

I personally go for pearl over tama because I prefer Pearl hardware and mounting systems, but try them out for yourself.

Innards-Decay 2004-09-10 20:31

well, i was gonna do that without saying. its just kinda embarassing to see all these jazz assholes trading fours on 28 peice kits when your just starting and your doing the beat from the chorus to hammer smashed face.

master_nameless 2005-01-17 06:06

If you're really a brginner i would go for this underground brand called "trak". They are sold really cheap and the quality is pretty good. it may take a while to find some though.

blinky 2005-10-30 06:53

back when i started i got a second hand pearl export with a lot of problems but it was alright for starting, after that i got a $400 promax kit which i would not suggest getting if you really want to get into drumming, during setting it up i bent the tension rods on the bass drum, and within 20 minutes of playing i bent the snare hoop and warped every cymbal

NZ black metal drumm 2005-10-30 21:59

Stay away from Trak for begginers, the reason being, Spare Parts etc. are VERY hard to find, you don't want hardware problems when you are starting out, go for a bigger name brand who have spare parts left right and centre, that said Trak DID make some good stuff, but not good for begginers!

I Play Drums 2005-11-02 20:55

My first kit ever was a 5 piece set of Sunlites. Surprisingly, they sounded decent after a good head change and tuning, and they only ran me about $350 brand new. I equiped them with all new Evans heads and that was it.

JacksonGuitars07 2005-11-05 18:32

I own two Pacific drum kits, one beginner (250 bucks) and one professional grade set (1200 or so) and from my experience, they are both great sets. Pacific drums always have good quality and excellent prices, I haven't had a problem yet. Also, some of the cheaper Tama sets are decent for starting out on. Most important in a set is having good hardware.

low-tech 2005-11-05 19:31

for now on, we should all encourage people who are starting out to buy the most expensive drums and gear possible so if some quit, they will flood the 2nd hand market with good stuff......not only here on this forum but everywhere you go in life.

davie_gravy 2005-11-06 16:13

Anyone play Ludwig drums? They got some great lookin price tags. Also, what about Yahama drums, they also have some decent prices? Are they worth a fuck?

low-tech 2005-11-06 17:36

i have clear ludwig vistalites from the 70's, thier sound is ok, not much compared to newer drum models. avoid the reissue vistalites. i dont think that any drummer posting here can actually afford them anyway. since lucite isnt really cutting edge, space age technology they dont need to be 3-4000$$

davie_gravy 2005-11-06 19:26

I just want a beginner set. I've seen Ludwigs in musiciansfriend to be pretty inexpensive. Like $369 for a 5-piece.

powersofterror 2005-12-12 20:54

I've never played drums before, but when I get home, I'm going to learn some on my brother's set. He owns a five or six piece Ludwig drum set, with Gilbralter double bass pedals--and I think about four Zildjian cymbols.