MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Starting out too late (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13315)

VeXxX 2004-08-12 17:50

Starting out too late

at the moment im sixteen but iv'e been playing since december of last year...i practice everyday..but do you guys think i started way to late...i always wanted to play but i never gave too much thought to it until last year when i had the urge to start a band and saved up money to buy an axe...

Dyldo 2004-08-12 17:56

It's never too late my friend. Your actually starting at a young age, which is best. I know alot of older guys that would have gaven their left leg to start out a younger age.

VeXxX 2004-08-12 18:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
It's never too late my friend. Your actually starting at a young age, which is best. I know alot of older guys that would have gaven their left leg to start out a younger age.

Darko...wat do you think are the first scales i should start of learning..im thinking of buying a paul gilbert video to learn some stuff cause at the moment i dont make enough money to pay a teacher

Hate Eternal 2004-08-12 18:04

fuck 16 isi n't late

BLS 2004-08-12 18:30

Its never too late.

rapeandruin 2004-08-12 21:35

hell yeah it is never to late. I started when I was just about 17. Although I wish I had started back when my parents were offering back when I was like 13. oh well

ShredIsNotDead 2004-08-12 21:36

I know what you mean, I started out when I was 8 and now I am all pissed off. :rolleyes:

Necro_Butcher 2004-08-12 21:50

i started at 11, but never really played then i got lesson when i was almost 13, now ill be 15 soon and i can SHREEEEEED!

MeTalManiac555 2004-08-12 21:59

Just like everyone else said... it's not too late. There are tons of people out there that started at a really young age and some start at a later age... for those that start at a later age just have to work twice as hard to get up there and be really good but it's well worth it. I used to play when I was a little kind like at the age of 5 or 6 and then stopped for a year and did it again for a few years then had to stop for about 2 1/2 years because of moving and some other problems. I don't play a TON anymore but lately have been play a shit load and am going to keep doing it now but I also play drums a ton now too so that takes a bit of time away from it but oh well, it's all worth it to me. But anyways, just keep playing and don't stop. Learn all your chords, read up on theory, etc. Don't learn any bad habits, videos and books will help you a bit too and theory is a really good thing to learn and I don't care what people tell you about that, I never really did that theory shit because it got tiring and boring but wish I did do it all, it will help.

DEAD 2004-08-12 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredIsNotDead
I know what you mean, I started out when I was 8 and now I am all pissed off. :rolleyes:

Wow, I really wish i had dollar for eveytime you mentioned your age in a non-related thread. Seriously, it's not impressive.

BeastOfCarrion 2004-08-12 22:06

i know someone who took up drums at 46
how is 16 too late?

ShredIsNotDead 2004-08-12 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAD
Wow, I really wish i had dollar for eveytime you mentioned your age in a non-related thread. Seriously, it's not impressive.

I don't care. I'm not here to impress

Dystopia 2004-08-12 23:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAD

If I had a dollar everytime you said that in this thread, I would have one dollar.

MeTalManiac555 2004-08-12 23:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtv_is_gay
If I had a dollar everytime you said that in this thread, I would have one dollar.

I guess your name really explains it all... that was gay. :smash:

Infinity 2004-08-13 01:57

I started at X-mas, when I got my first guitar. I was 14 then and now I'm 15 as of a few days ago.

I wish I had started earlier. I'm sucking pretty bad. Oh well, I might get better.

BeastOfCarrion 2004-08-13 02:06

the thing is, it doesnt matter when you start, you will always suck when you first start

BLS 2004-08-13 02:11

exactly

brainsforbreakfast 2004-08-13 04:58

Another thing is, it doesnt matter how early you start, you always wish it was earlier.

johnmansley 2004-08-13 07:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikyhairz
Another thing is, it doesnt matter how early you start, you always wish it was earlier.

Exactly! It's like when you win a bet at the bookmakers - you always wish you wagered 20 instead of 5. There's nothing you can do about it, but the fact is you've started and so long as you practise, you'll be a good player eventually - no matter how old you were when you started.

Party Time 2000 2004-08-13 11:47

Just to let all you 'children' know. I'm an old fart compared to most of you. I started when I was 25. I totally sucked! I would play at the lowest volume I possibly could so nobody could hear me, and that was on acoustic! Now, I'm better. I totally should have started out when I was younger but circumstances would not allow it and I may have neglected practice and learned bad guitar habits. Practicing is such a great way for me to unwind after a days work. I totally forget everything around me and this helps clear my mind.

All these grown-up problems... :drunk: