MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vocal Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Screaming/Growling Styles (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12202)

lamb_of_god 2004-07-01 19:43

Screaming/Growling Styles

I don't know if this goes here or not, but does anyone have advice on screaming or growling good for metal? I had a growl so good one day my singer asked me to back him up with vocals, but the next day it became a belch. :D

If anyone has any advice, please post it. :beer:

dying-oath 2004-07-01 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb_of_god
I don't know if this goes here or not, but does anyone have advice on screaming or growling good for metal? I had a growl so good one day my singer asked me to back him up with vocals, but the next day it became a belch. :D

If anyone has any advice, please post it. :beer:

it's all in the back of your throat, and you've got to put all you've got into it, or it'll sould like you're a pusy with no air.

lamb_of_god 2004-07-01 19:52

You mean for growling? What about straight screaming? They're realy different. I'm goin for a mix between Lamb of God and The Black Dahlia Murder.

dying-oath 2004-07-02 11:33

never heard them, but for growling, it's the back of the throat, for straight out screaming, you close off your throat and force air through it... it's difficult, and difficult to explain.....hope this helped

Transient 2004-07-02 15:02

id like to know how to do it too. take air from the base of your lungs/diaphragm

move your lips to enunciate...kind of purse them for a gorguts style sound

L,B'XXX 2004-07-02 19:00

I just heard on vh-1 that a lot of stars have given up milk products so they'll have clearer voices. So I'd say the opposite may be truefor growling . But make sure you don't hurt your vocal chords. Research first.

To scream properly you have to be a mother. I know. I'm a mother. I have lungs that go on forever.

brainsforbreakfast 2004-07-03 00:19

Yes, milk products help. Especialy yoghurt, lots of it.
Also, you know how to clear your throut? Grunting is a bit like that "ach-uhm" in your the back of your throut. Try it, and you'll get what I mean.

lamb_of_god 2004-07-03 00:46

THANKS!

DAMN! I didn't expect this much. My growl is back to how it was that one magical day, thanks to your advice. My scream sounds more like a yell (kinda like Every Time I Die but lower). This has all been great and i'm eternally thankful for this. :love: :beer:

BeastOfCarrion 2004-07-03 02:12

for growling: i don't think you should use your throut as you can fuck up your vocal chords, and wont be able to maintain it later in life, you should do it from your diaphram. in reguards to the milk thing, i dont drink milk, but i can pull off a semi decent death voice
to scream, i find that i do that the same as growl, but with a closed throat

L,B'XXX 2004-07-03 04:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb_of_god
This has all been great and i'm eternally thankful for this. :love: :beer:

And now we own your soul......

Go do up my dishes and take out the trash.

powersofterror 2004-07-03 13:27

Age I say is the only real answer. The older you get, the better it will be. I can yell/scream like a mother fucker, ALMOST(but not near) to Galder. I do have a loud projection, and my problem lies in the singing. I've lately been practicing my ass off teaching myself to sing some IE tunes:vampire:

BrokenCrimson 2004-07-03 20:20

There are two ways to growl - gutual and throaty. Throaty hurts your voice, and gutual is a lot lower pitched and doesn't hurt your voice. If you're female, I sugest gutual and if you're male I sugest throaty.

Angela Gussow's growling comes from her throat, very few women can do that.

Transient 2004-07-03 20:26

definately, dont start worrying about it untill your voice is totally mature

powersofterror 2004-07-03 22:32

...I say Do NOT use the throat. It doesn't even sound good. I just thought of good reason too, (yay me!) When you use the throat, you don't use as much air, and you get a softer toilet flush type sound:sickface:. You need to use the same mucsles you use for regular singing. Use a lot of air, and sing out, don't sing to your chest. But also don't growl towards the cieling cause that's extra work. Just keep your face straight forward.

L,B'XXX 2004-07-04 16:24

Yep, position is everything. ;)

Infinity 2004-07-05 04:59

Does anyone know fleshgrind? i kan sing - uhh, growl- like him. or the same technique is employed in the Dying Fetus deep vocalist.

but i have lots of growls. id REALLY REALLY REALLY like to know how to scream, anyone? like the December guy in 'Umbilical'

i dont use the back of my throat at all. i kind of lossen my cheeks and reverberate a growl through that, pushing my tip of my tongue to inbetween the top canine and the one left of it [left top canine]. thats for my deep growl. it sounds like Cannibal Corpse but a little more distorted? its lower anyway.

but for fleshgrind / low dying fetus vox, i suck air in insteead of blowing out. just like breathing through your mouth.
breathe in and you put a little pressure on the windpipe, it makes a ... fucking wierd noise. push it lower and aply more pressuer, and yoy can master it to become fleshgrind.

Infinity 2004-07-05 05:01

Oh, and one of the mods should movw this to that VOCALIST FORUM *hint hint, nudge nudge*

is that going ahead or what

Oh, and for that milk thing said up above - thats for pussies. i used to do that and it just make your voice progressively worse.

just keep doing exactly what your'e doing. it gets better, believe me.

Transient 2004-07-05 12:36

blow your nose too

powersofterror 2004-07-05 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by L,B'XXX
Yep, position is everything. ;)

:rolleyes:

younguitarist 2004-07-05 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
Does anyone know fleshgrind?

i do.