MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear & Recording (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Kahler bridges are back! (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12186)

Soulinsane 2004-07-01 09:28

Kahler bridges are back!

I just learned that old man Kahler will be making guitar and bass bridges full time again. Check out this tour of the Kahler factory.

Kahler factory

FearFrost 2004-07-01 09:36

We are no longer slaves to floyd!

Def 2004-07-01 09:38

lol, slaves to floyd

but thats some great news :) maybe he'll come out with new models as well :)

DEAD 2004-07-01 09:42

Don't expect to see Kahler to be replacing Floyd. #1 I don't think he will license any of his bridges because everyone one can see what that has done to the quality of Floyd. #2 a 2300 flat mount is around $350 meaning you will be paying around $200 more dollars on any given guitar with it. I'm not complaining, I'd pay it, but it's not smart bussiness and it's all about money. In short Kahler will only be on selected high end models and will cost more.

Soulinsane 2004-07-01 11:08

They are expensive right now but I feel that is because of they are rare and made of completely machined steel or brass; at least the 2300's. I still find 2300's going for about $200 USD new on Ebay. Back in the day, they were not that much and I seen them stock on even mid priced no name guitars. I'm sure Kahler will sell their bridges to compete in price with Floyds, so bottom line is the customer will benefit if Floyd and Kahlar must compete. I would watch out for Floyds to start droping their prices, because I'm sure this is bad news for them.

BLS 2004-07-01 11:30

Back?!?!?! He never stopped making them... he just liked making golf clubs more :p But this can only be good news, i notcied on the last run of the LTD Jeff Hanneman sig guitar...... they fuckin put a lilkcensed floyde on!!! :kaioken: :angry: :mad: :o assholes... Hopefully they will make the color bridges again, those green, red, and blue bridges were cool as hell.

xdislexicx 2004-07-01 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
i notcied on the last run of the LTD Jeff Hanneman sig guitar...... they fuckin put a lilkcensed floyde on!!! :kaioken: :angry: :mad: :o assholes...

i think the letters ltd would have been a dead givaway that a licensed floyd would be used on it.
but thats just me. ;)

BLS 2004-07-01 14:05

Only the last run of the LTD sig had a licensed floyd, all previous runs had the Kahler 2300 flatmount on them.

Slabbefusk 2004-07-01 14:09

I AM FUCKING GOING TO BUY KAHLER BRIDGES!

Soulinsane 2004-07-01 22:01

BLS, I know that they never completely stoped making Kahler bridges. I should have been correct by saying that Kahler bridges are going back into mass production. Sorry for the mix up.

Anyway, I keep close track of Kahler, where to get parts too, and I know why he stoped making bridges for a while. Nothing worth reading but basically a legal issue with Asia companys trying to copy it like the Floyd and the fact he put someone in charge of the bridge production that nearly ruined the company. He had to make a living so he made machined metal golf clubs, some of the best too I heard, until to legal issues were over. Now he is going back to guitar and bass bridges. No more golf clubs full time; they get to take a back seat to the bridges now. Thank goodness!

The only trem I have ever liked was the flat mount Kahler. The one on my custom Ran guitar is soooooo smooth. It is an older model 2300 with the brass rollers, technically a 2300 Standard, because the 2300 Professional has black steel rollers, but that is the only difference. Brass or steel rollers? It all depends on the tone you like. Kahler made a, very rare and few, newly designed 2300 just before they stoped production. I'm sure that Kahler will continue to make the new model but in all different colors.

BLS 2004-07-01 22:08

This is nothing but good news to me, i love Kahlers and i just routed my Explorer for a kahler. This should also mean a price drop on the used market. :)

MetalMilitiant 2004-07-02 21:02

this is probably the best thing to happen to the guitar world in awhile. I'm looking forward to finally getting a chance to try one of these

Soulinsane 2004-07-02 23:09

You should really try one. At least a flat mount, because Kahler did make a few fulcrum/Floyd trems and they were OK. I still see them on used guitars at shops. They are rare but can be found easy. I seen this one 80's RR-1 Jackson with a 2300 at Guitar Center. This guitar had some miles, but was still in great musical shape. The bridge needed maintenance badly, the body/neck needed a paint job, and the hardware needed to be deep cleaned, but it still played great.

The first time I tried a Kahler flat mount I know I would never be happy with a Floyd again. The Floyds can be nice but are so tempermental. They get fucked up, and are a bitch to fix. I rather have a non-trem bridge above Floyd.

BLS 2004-07-02 23:41

Thiers many things you can do with a floyd that you can do with a kahler, but i still think the Kahler flatmount is the superior bridge. Its sooooooo smooth, changng strings is just as easy as changing strings on a tune o matic bridge (well some people prefer to solder the ends of the strings but that only takes a minute) and you can change tunings all you want. They also dont need a HUMONGOUS spring cavity...

h4x5k8 2004-07-03 05:17

sweet im not to educated on bridges all i know is some of my favorite guitarists use floyds, but what are the huge differances between the two? can you bend farther back then the other or somthing??? completley ignorant :confused:

BLS 2004-07-03 09:28

and Origanal Floyd Rose is the ULITMATE in tuning stabiliy PERIOD. A Kahler manages to stay in tune very well, but in way as good as a OFR. A Kahler is much smoother becuase thier is less tension. They both go about and octave up and down. Most use floyds because their very easy to get, and their almost a standard on guitars now a days. But slayer has been using Kahlers since day one, i even remember Jeff having a kahler on his Les Paul.

FearFrost 2004-07-03 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
But slayer has been using Kahlers since day one, i even remember Jeff having a kahler on his Les Paul.

I thought Kerry used Floyd? I know Jeff HATES Floyd though.

BLS 2004-07-03 09:54

They both HATE floyds

DEAD 2004-07-03 20:01

They cost $350 NEW back when Kahler had that kahlerinternational.com website back in 2000-2001.

BLS 2004-07-03 21:23

Thier $280 but you have to wait until they do another run, which depends on the amount of orders they recieve. :( Hopefully the mass production will fix this.