MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Guitar... (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12006)

Slabbefusk 2004-06-18 15:47

Guitar...

How long have you played guitar , and how long did it take til you considered yourself good, you know fast palm muting, fast alt picking and shit? If you consider yourself good that is...

metal=life 2004-06-18 16:04

Long enough, why does it matter?

ShredIsNotDead 2004-06-18 16:21

6 years but the first couple I was too young to be that interested in it, only an hour or 2 a week. About 2 years ago i started getting really interested, then a year ago I was in saskatchewan and i met this guy a year older than me and he was awesome, and he played shred and basically got me interested in it. After that i was obsessed with it, and it only grew from there.

mctriple 2004-06-18 22:34

i've been playing for 9 years, and i still suck. i just bought a metronome 6 months ago. before that, i was fine just playing regular rhythm stuff, gnr, acdc, etc.. nothing that required you to be awesome at guitar, just comfortable with it. stuff you can play on an acoustic. the more i practice nowadays, the more i think i suck. at least that drives me to keep at it!

daggerfall 2004-06-19 07:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabbefusk
How long have you played guitar , and how long did it take til you considered yourself good, you know fast palm muting, fast alt picking and shit? If you consider yourself good that is...

It's not all about playing fast... When can all those gay metallica kids learnd that?

Slabbefusk 2004-06-19 07:35

I know its not all about being fast damnit, i just consider myself slow.

Mordor 2004-06-19 08:10

I've been playing guitar for about a year and a half now. An could easily do all those things u said after about a year. I feel i m fairly good as i've learnt a hell of a lot of theory and can both create good shit and play good shit. But i aint gonna class myself good until ive learnt the whole of the symbolic album by Death.

fritz 2004-06-19 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggerfall
It's not all about playing fast... When can all those gay metallica kids learnd that?

It's not all about playing fast...but a whole hell of a lot of it is.

ShredIsNotDead 2004-06-19 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz
It's not all about playing fast...but a whole hell of a lot of it is.

I agree. Besides, have you ever heard someone that can rip across the fretboard say "dude, speed sucks man"

DeathCS 2004-06-19 13:24

People who cant play fast say that speed sucks because theyre just jelous. Fast all the time is boring but no speed at all is even more boring.

ShredIsNotDead 2004-06-19 13:29

if you pick the right notes to shred on for the particular chords, It can sound beautiful. Jason Becker has odd finger positionings that arent regular triads but when he goes fast on it... :eek: its great

Dystopia 2004-06-20 00:41

Anyone can play an awesome solo slow. Speed matters A LOT!

Transient 2004-06-20 09:20

no, what mattesr a lot is fun and personal satisfaction. that being said, i am still pretty slow but practice and play as much as i can stand it

guitar_demon 2004-06-20 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtv_is_gay
Anyone can play an awesome solo slow. Speed matters A LOT!

no it doesnt a solo doesnt have to be shredding for it to be awsome or cool its all about how it moves you and how it fits to the song for example the solos in november rain by GnR there slow but fit perfectly with the song and sound amazing if there had been a ripping fast solo it would have totally ruined the whole feeling of the song

BLS 2004-06-20 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredIsNotDead
I agree. Besides, have you ever heard someone that can rip across the fretboard say "dude, speed sucks man"

Just because you can play fast dosent mean your good, or that its gonna sound good

metal=life 2004-06-20 11:59

Playing fast means you can play whatever you're playing at a slow speed also...or pretty much any speed lower than your fastest. So it does mean you are good but that doesn't mean it sounds good all the time to hear fast shit.

Playing fast and not knowing what the fuck you're doing sounds shitty

BLS 2004-06-20 12:15

yes, and ive heard that all to many times.

mctriple 2004-06-20 17:05

i feel that being able to play quickly means that you have more control over your hands. if you stick to very simple stuff, anybody can play a cool sounding solo slowly with very basic techniques, like the blues scale. but that doesn't require much command over your hands and technique. you can't shred out a super fast solo and have no control over yourself. and to play something from the heart, you have to have control over your hands. anybody can randomly noodle around on a pentatonic minor scale and come up with something that sounds cool, but when you have control over yourself, you can play what you meant to play, not just play stuff and see how it turns out. to me, that's what being good is about. and working on speed and being able to play quickly definitely helps you on your way to doing that.

lamb_of_god 2004-06-27 01:29

I think I can play at an intermediate level. I didn't think this until I met my competition in my area. I had been playing for 5 1/2 years and met my fellow guitarists at school and saw the high-school bands. THEY SUCKED! I found one person who was actually better than me, though. Me and him started a band: Black Sunshine. So, when I met other guitarists that blew!

ShredIsNotDead 2004-06-27 02:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
Just because you can play fast dosent mean your good, or that its gonna sound good

I dont know why you quoted me on that one...I never said that. I said if you pick the right notes, for the particular chord structure and do it fast it CAN sound good.