MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   TAPPING IDEAS QUESTION (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11967)

BEHEMOTH 2004-06-16 10:45

TAPPING IDEAS QUESTION

my problem is that i donīt know very well how, or which key changes are pretty good to play.

I can play the classic things like:
12(T)-0-5-8
or something like that, it seems very fine, but the problem cames in the "0" (E in the first string). and it means that i need to use a scale that has that E. :confused: :confused: :confused:

So if you know something to change or to help?

THANKXXX

FearFrost 2004-06-16 11:25

My knowlage is not to great, but if you want to play "by the book" then yes you would need to have an E in the scale, but if you want to make something that sounds cool or whatever, then no... Now wach someone correct me :bawling:

AnubisXy 2004-06-16 11:41

To make it "sound cool" you gotta play in key. Which means either using notes directly related to the chords (arpeggiation) being played in the rhythm, OR, using a scale with a corresponding root to the key that the progression is being played in. Ideally you'll arpeggiate the chords being played, most of the time you'll even be ok if you use just the pentatonic scales. As far as tapping, experiment, try different patterns, try string skipping. Move the patterns to as many different keys as you can, remember the intervals will stay the same, so you just need to shift positions. The Em pentatonic is special because it is made up of the notes of the open strings. It's a great place to start, interval structure is 1,b3,4,5,b7, notes are E, G, A, B, D. Have fun

atifman 2004-06-16 13:08

to get some cool tapping ideas check out Steve Vai's song Juice. or alot of other Steve Vai songs.

http://www.powertabs.net/pta.php?pa...22,21,418633418

what you can also do is tap pentatonic shapes. pentatonics work just about everywhere. so try that.(if you need an example, i 'll give you one)

Mordor 2004-06-16 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnubisXy
To make it "sound cool" you gotta play in key.

that aint completely true as you can create a riff lets say in e minor but have discordant chords playing in the background which are totally out of key. Sometimes it sounds extremely weird but good depending on what style ure creating

johnmansley 2004-06-16 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordor
that aint completely true as you can create a riff lets say in e minor but have discordant chords playing in the background which are totally out of key. Sometimes it sounds extremely weird but good depending on what style ure creating

Yeah, I agree. You can create and build up musical tension by using notes that aren't in key. I'd place playing the open note (no matter what the key) in the same category as chromaticism - not part of a specific scale but useful to employ none-the-less.

Dischordance can be a very useful tool to utilize so I wouldn't worry too much about playing in key in this sort of situation (tapping and open notes). Just play what sounds good to your own ear and you can't go wrong.

AnubisXy 2004-06-16 14:53

There are exceptions to every rule. :)

Slabbefusk 2004-06-16 15:17

Tapping is hard! :kaioken:

johnmansley 2004-06-16 16:12

Left and right hand coordination is the key to tapping well. So as with everything, you've got to start slowly and gradually build your speed up before you can shred away.

FearFrost 2004-06-16 16:24

A big thing I notice mt friends doing when tapping is they don't make the tapping sound right Eg. they would hit: -0-5-7-12(t)-7-5-0- or whatever, but on the 12th note where you use your picking hand they don't pull off on it, the trick to do is when hitting that note almost make 2 notes out of it, one on the note, and a second when releasing it.

Pointless rant... hehe.

johnmansley 2004-06-16 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearFrost
A big thing I notice mt friends doing when tapping is they don't make the tapping sound right Eg. they would hit: -0-5-7-12(t)-7-5-0- or whatever, but on the 12th note where you use your picking hand they don't pull off on it, the trick to do is when hitting that note almost make 2 notes out of it, one on the note, and a second when releasing it.

Yeah, I know what you're getting at. You've got to leave you tapping finger down for a split-second longer than it seems natural to do so in order to allow the note to ring properly before you pull-off back to the -7-5-0-. Sort of... kind of hard to explain!

DeathCS 2004-06-16 18:04

If I make up a cool little tapping lick in a certain key but I think it would sound better in a song which is in a different key then I would just move it around.
Remember, have your tapping fingure be your middle fingure. It just works out better that way.

AnubisXy 2004-06-16 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNIBALCORPSE
have your tapping fingure be your middle fingure. It just works out better that way.

Till you start tapping across multiple strings, then that becomes a bit unrealistic, especially tapping arpeggios. I use index, middle and ring, and sometimes the edge of the pick for tapping. For one string tapping, middle is easiest though.

DEAD 2004-06-16 19:20

I use my index to tap...

BEHEMOTH 2004-06-17 11:05

My problem starts when y use 12-0-5-8 tapping and then
12(t)-6-0-5-8-12(t)-6-0-5-8-12(t)-6-0-5-8-
10(t)-5-0-3-6-10(t)-5-0-3-6-10(t)

I want to know some variations of this tapping
12-8-5
12-5-8
12-0-8-5
12-0-5-8

Like this one
12-6-0-5-8
That is the problem, if you know something more. please SAVE me!!!!

SORRY MY POOR ENGLISH!!!!

BEHEMOTH 2004-06-17 11:07

I love fast tapping, and it can be death metal style

BLS 2004-06-17 11:22

Paul gibert has a shot Tapping demostration. its on kazza.

BEHEMOTH 2004-06-18 09:45

I.ve got another problem. I donīt have internet at home. And here i canīt download anything, and the other one is that i donīt underSATANd speaked english very well, so if you can make as resume.

THANK you all.

Dyldo 2004-06-18 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnubisXy
To make it "sound cool" you gotta play in key. Which means either using notes directly related to the chords (arpeggiation) being played in the rhythm, OR, using a scale with a corresponding root to the key that the progression is being played in. Ideally you'll arpeggiate the chords being played, most of the time you'll even be ok if you use just the pentatonic scales. As far as tapping, experiment, try different patterns, try string skipping. Move the patterns to as many different keys as you can, remember the intervals will stay the same, so you just need to shift positions. The Em pentatonic is special because it is made up of the notes of the open strings. It's a great place to start, interval structure is 1,b3,4,5,b7, notes are E, G, A, B, D. Have fun

Right on.

x2xAtreyux2x 2004-06-30 21:46

Easy, just learn some scales up 1 string. Then just experiment.