MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear & Recording (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   All about EMG Pickups; Actives and Passives (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11624)

atifman 2004-06-02 16:16

All about EMG Pickups; Actives and Passives

Post all your questions and answers about EMGs here.

VeXxX 2004-06-05 15:49

the price

How much would emg 81 cost...or how bout just good ones.and where can i purchase them

DeathCS 2004-06-05 16:14

I'm really not sure about the price but they are about $100 new at guitar center.

butterscotchdelight 2004-06-05 16:16

i got one for 80 at guitar center no tax and shit. that guy ruled. just ask them to hook you up.

DeathCS 2004-06-05 23:31

Yeah, its good to make friends with employees at music stores. Thats how I get free strings and discounts.

VeXxX 2004-06-06 00:49

did you guys install them urselfs..or did you go somewhere where they can do it.

BLS 2004-06-06 01:04

install yourself... hell their quick connect.,, and the pots and shit are alreayd wired for you. It idiot proof

VeXxX 2004-06-06 20:38

bls do you have emgs...?

BLS 2004-06-06 21:39

Yeh, I have the 81/85 setup on one of my guitars

h4x5k8 2004-07-03 04:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
install yourself... hell their quick connect.,, and the pots and shit are alreayd wired for you. It idiot proof

You probably got the zac wild set obviously since your name is BLS, i think that set is prewired but i ordered the 81 and 60 seperate for around 80 bucks a peice from guitarparts depot and it was a bitch installing them, it was my first time doing pickups and in my explorer (used to be huge james hetfield fan) it has a very small area to work with so it took me 6 hours on and off with little breaks and shit here and there, yes you may mock me, but hell i dont fuckin saulder so rot in hell, and i do like the quickconnect so you can get another emg or somthing and switch them back and forth depending on how you feel or somthing. I do recomend the ZW set for people with LP's though it comes with the long pot and everything, allthough i just got a new Les Paul custom (epiphone, im to poor for Gibson) i was gonna pop the zw in but i figured i wanna get good passive tones from it so i got a duncan invader and a duncan 59 vintage, its pretty badass. EMG's are the shit though nice output and the 60 sounds the best for a clean neck tone, very warm and full. Gettin an 81 on my new ran custom im savin up for. :vampire: RAN Rules all :vampire:

BLS 2004-07-03 09:23

I have and 81/85 NOT the ZW set... i refuse to pay extra just because of his name. And while you were buying the pickups from guitarpartsdepot, you coulda bought prewired pots http://guitarpartsdepot.com/Merchan...tegory_Code=PCS

Laareppi 2004-07-05 03:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
I have and 81/85 NOT the ZW set... i refuse to pay extra just because of his name.

Xscuse me but hasn't the Zakk Wylde box actually got exactly the same price than separate -81 and -85? guess it kinda depends where you buy it....

what was it... you get some poster crap and a guitar pick, stickers, postcards. whatever. i hope that the pickups don't have some bizarre zakk wylde autographs all over them, or EMG-ZW or something :eek:

h4x5k8 2004-07-05 06:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laareppi
Xscuse me but hasn't the Zakk Wylde box actually got exactly the same price than separate -81 and -85? guess it kinda depends where you buy it....

what was it... you get some poster crap and a guitar pick, stickers, postcards. whatever. i hope that the pickups don't have some bizarre zakk wylde autographs all over them, or EMG-ZW or something :eek:

yea thats what saw too, exact same price. and it even comes with long pots for a les paul

BLS 2004-07-05 11:21

I can get 81's and 85's for $45 last time i checked the zakk wylde set wasent $90 :p

h4x5k8 2004-07-05 21:57

bull shit, where, from your hook up at the guitar store?

BLS 2004-07-05 22:56

Yep, this local store called Full Staff, their a complete ripoff but i know the manager so he gives me good deals :beer:

lamb_of_god 2004-07-06 02:12

This is gonna soud retarded as hell, but what are EMG pickups exactly? I know what they look like and a lot of bands I like use them, but are they like humbuckers or something else or what? What is so special about them?

FearFrost 2004-07-06 14:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb_of_god
This is gonna soud retarded as hell, but what are EMG pickups exactly? I know what they look like and a lot of bands I like use them, but are they like humbuckers or something else or what? What is so special about them?

I leave this one to BLS.

h4x5k8 2004-07-06 15:09

go to there website, emginc.com, they make single coil and humbuckers, there just good cause some of them are active which means they use a battery which sits in your guitar, and the battery acts as a litte preamp so its cuts out feedback a lot and has really high output, there just really nice pickups.

BLS 2004-07-06 15:16

Passive EMG's are just pure shit, nuff said.

Active EMG's such as the 81, 60, 85 run off a 9v battery. This battery powers an eternal preamp, which gives an EMG its tone. Instead of relying on tonewoods and such for a good tone. EMG's have very little feedback, and help tighten up the low end, this is why their the prime choice of many metal acts. EMG's are a good choice if you wish to upgrade a crappy guitar because it will make a HUGE difference, but putting an EMG in a high quality instrument built of the finest woods is just stupid, and that high quality instrument with EMG's will sound very similar so the shit guitar with EMG's.

Meh, thats the best description i can give, long story short... a good Passive Pickup in a good guitar will kick and EMG's ass anyday.