MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear & Recording (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   All about EMG Pickups; Actives and Passives (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11624)

Deathmaster213 2008-04-08 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by eet_fvk
...

Now the 85 neck pickup sound allright, full, nice, loud and beefy, but my problem is that there is a lot of difference of output level compared to the 81 in the bridge... many people has told me that it is normal since all the neck pickups always have more volume because of the possition, and because the 85 emg has more output than the 81 by deffinition... but after all the crappy connections the first stupid tech did to it, im afraid there's something else that would be fuckd up .....

Other thing i came up with, is that the guitar still has the same string gauge it comes from factory (9's) and that could be the reason for the thin, not loud sound from the 81 pickup....

The difference between sounds is more obvious when you are using the clean channel, when using a heavy dist u could hardly say wich pickup you are using...

Somebody knows if this is allright? somebody has the same pickup configuration? somebody knows if it is normal to have more volume output (notticeable) from the 85 pup?

Thanx a lot, any help would be appreciated! :beer:

This sounds pretty normal to me. Yes, the 85 sounds a fair bit louder on a clean channel.

Me himself 2008-04-09 02:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by eet_fvk
Now the 85 neck pickup sound allright, full, nice, loud and beefy, but my problem is that there is a lot of difference of output level compared to the 81 in the bridge... many people has told me that it is normal since all the neck pickups always have more volume because of the possition, and because the 85 emg has more output than the 81 by deffinition... but after all the crappy connections the first stupid tech did to it, im afraid there's something else that would be fuckd up .....

Other thing i came up with, is that the guitar still has the same string gauge it comes from factory (9's) and that could be the reason for the thin, not loud sound from the 81 pickup....

The difference between sounds is more obvious when you are using the clean channel, when using a heavy dist u could hardly say wich pickup you are using...

Somebody knows if this is allright? somebody has the same pickup configuration? somebody knows if it is normal to have more volume output (notticeable) from the 85 pup?

Thanx a lot, any help would be appreciated! :beer:

yeah that's normal assuming both pups are level with one another. My pup configuration goes 85-SA-85 and the neck 85 is lowered more than the rest to even out the output difference. The string gauge shouldn't really have anything to do with it. So, lower your 85 and go from there.

guitarswitch 2008-04-10 16:46

ok, im on the right thread now. I recently switched my 85 to the bridge and 81 to the neck. if i decide to keep it like that i'll probably want to get either a 60 or an 89 in the neck. leanin toward the 89 since its supposed to sound like the 85, which im already familiar with.

guitarswitch 2008-04-12 15:16

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for emg? the adobe viewer ones don't work for me for some reason. 1 volume 1 tone and gibson style toggle. The tech i brought i to never put the 25k emg pots in it and left the 500k ones because the knobs had screws holding them on to the pots and they were rusted right in there. i just put the 25k ones in myself and i lost quite a bit of output. its about equal to the duncan distortion pup in my other guitar now. Im guessing that he somehow wired it different to work with the 500k pots.(?) It's also a little noisy, pre and post pot change. if the ground wire isn't connected i get popping sounds when i touch the knobs although emg says not to connect it.

HelpMeHelpYou 2009-01-12 17:37

I've got a les paul custom sitting at home here but only one EMG 81. Can I drop that in the bridge and still have both pickups working or would I have to disconnect the neck p/u entirely?

the_bleeding 2009-01-12 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpYou
I've got a les paul custom sitting at home here but only one EMG 81. Can I drop that in the bridge and still have both pickups working or would I have to disconnect the neck p/u entirely?


yes you can, but its kinda wierd how to do it. the emg website has a diagram on how to mix actives and passives.

HelpMeHelpYou 2009-01-13 19:48

Cool cool, I thanks you.

deeds 2009-04-05 06:35

I have installed an EMG 81 pick-up in the bridge position on my B.C.Rich KKV.

I know that the EMG's are internally shielded. Would it be of any help to shield the pick-up cavity with copper foil and then solder it to the volume pot?

At high volumes on stage sometimes there is a lot of feedback, even with the noise supressor on, so I'm trying to avoid this feedback in any way.

Thanks a lot !

the_bleeding 2009-04-05 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds
I have installed an EMG 81 pick-up in the bridge position on my B.C.Rich KKV.

I know that the EMG's are internally shielded. Would it be of any help to shield the pick-up cavity with copper foil and then solder it to the volume pot?

At high volumes on stage sometimes there is a lot of feedback, even with the noise supressor on, so I'm trying to avoid this feedback in any way.

Thanks a lot !


Shielding wont help feedback, only background noise from RF interference.

Your main problem is that the cheap kkv is made out of light and shitty wood that resounds and feeds back easily.

Now heres a list of things you can do to help it.
1. Put foam behind the pickups
2. turn down gain
3. turn down treble
4. turn down presence.
5. get further away from your amp

deeds 2009-04-08 12:40

I've put some foam in the pickup and in the pots cavities and the feedback seems to be gone. The pickup was really tight in the ring, I've filed the ring a little bit, as a guy from the EMG forum suggested.

Thanks :beer:

sirlaser 2009-04-11 15:34

emg low output
 
i recently installed an EMG 81 on my guitar, its one volume and one tone with just one EMG. I double checked everything the quickconnect is connected in the right side, everything, but the pickup is still very quiet. it doesnt pick up distortion very well neither, and the batteries are brand new.

any help would be appreciated

deeds 2009-04-12 00:41

Make sure that you adjust the height of the pickup close to the strings.

7-string warlord 2009-07-12 01:34

these total no0b-wads speaking of pickup height reminded me of a good question. I've heard that EMG's have a "sweet spot" when it comes to height does anyone know what it is???? I play Duncan JB's and have them relatively low...but my next guitar will have EMG's, and I want to get it sounding as good as possible.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.