MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear & Recording (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   All about EMG Pickups; Actives and Passives (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11624)

h4x5k8 2004-07-07 00:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
Passive EMG's are just pure shit, nuff said.

Active EMG's such as the 81, 60, 85 run off a 9v battery. This battery powers an eternal preamp, which gives an EMG its tone. Instead of relying on tonewoods and such for a good tone. EMG's have very little feedback, and help tighten up the low end, this is why their the prime choice of many metal acts. EMG's are a good choice if you wish to upgrade a crappy guitar because it will make a HUGE difference, but putting an EMG in a high quality instrument built of the finest woods is just stupid, and that high quality instrument with EMG's will sound very similar so the shit guitar with EMG's.

Meh, thats the best description i can give, long story short... a good Passive Pickup in a good guitar will kick and EMG's ass anyday.

Meh im not saying that passive emgs are good, but they arnt exactly pure shit, alexi laiho uses the hz's in his guitars, i dunno why he does but all i know is it sounds pretty damn good.

Laareppi 2004-07-07 12:45

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i've got this idea that EMG-HZ is pure shit except for H4? (the one laiho uses)
keep in mind that he doesn't have any tone knob whatsoever in his guitar, just one h4 and master volume. or maybe his nice tone is because of his tech21 amps?

anyway, i haven't tried any other HZ than the H4, so dunno 'bout them.

but still i'd take 81/85 setup over H4 anyday, naturally.

xdislexicx 2004-07-07 13:50

the h4's arent to bad for passive emg's... but mainly the 81,85,and 60 are the emg active humbuckers of choice.
i plan on gettin a guitar with active pickups soon, 1972 tele thinline with a duncan livewire metal in the bridge and an emg 60 in the neck...it will be sick as hell.
i like active pickups, but i don't see why alot of people give them a bad rep. just because the don't rely on the woods of the guitar as much as passives. but hell, ever compared a squire strat with a 81 to a waaayy nice guitar like a prs, gibson, or hammer with an 81 in the bridge? they don't sound to similar all of a sudden.
a zw emg in a cheap epi lp wont sound like zack's real guitar just because they have the same pickups.

h4x5k8 2004-07-07 19:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laareppi
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i've got this idea that EMG-HZ is pure shit except for H4? (the one laiho uses)
keep in mind that he doesn't have any tone knob whatsoever in his guitar, just one h4 and master volume. or maybe his nice tone is because of his tech21 amps?

anyway, i haven't tried any other HZ than the H4, so dunno 'bout them.

but still i'd take 81/85 setup over H4 anyday, naturally.

Yea i would take the active over that setup anyday too, he uses a lee jackson preamp too, lee jackson designed some of crates top of the line amps.

h4x5k8 2004-07-07 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
the h4's arent to bad for passive emg's... but mainly the 81,85,and 60 are the emg active humbuckers of choice.
i plan on gettin a guitar with active pickups soon, 1972 tele thinline with a duncan livewire metal in the bridge and an emg 60 in the neck...it will be sick as hell.
i like active pickups, but i don't see why alot of people give them a bad rep. just because the don't rely on the woods of the guitar as much as passives. but hell, ever compared a squire strat with a 81 to a waaayy nice guitar like a prs, gibson, or hammer with an 81 in the bridge? they don't sound to similar all of a sudden.
a zw emg in a cheap epi lp wont sound like zack's real guitar just because they have the same pickups.

lol yea you just get emg's or duncans or else i think its gonna look really gay, but the 60 is a good neck pickup i have it along with with 81 on my explorer. In my "Cheap Epi LP Custom" i put in a duncan invader bridge and vintage 59 in the neck. Its pretty bad ass.

VeXxX 2004-07-08 00:40

i have a 81-60 set that i order coming soon....do you think i should put the 60 on the bridge..i heard it gives it a crazy sound?

Soulinsane 2004-07-08 00:58

Put the 60 at the neck. The 60 was made for the neck position, so I'm sure it would sound fucked up at the bridge.

h4x5k8 2004-07-08 02:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeXxX
i have a 81-60 set that i order coming soon....do you think i should put the 60 on the bridge..i heard it gives it a crazy sound?

hahaha no way, first the 81 is made for high output treble in the bridge, im sure it sounds like shit in the neck (compared to the 60 or 85) and the 60 is a neck pickup, you can test it out in the bridge since there is quick connect, but whatever, the 60 sounds really nice and warm in the neck (clean) and the 81 shreds in the neck major high output (dirty). James hetfield style setup ownz.

Tobbler 2004-07-09 17:07

meh. correct me if im wrong but arent KH-EMGs suppose to have the best tone? Just something I heard from a local source

h4x5k8 2004-07-09 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbler
meh. correct me if im wrong but arent KH-EMGs suppose to have the best tone? Just something I heard from a local source

kh-emg's?? thats just a set like the emg-zw, kirk hammet emg's, zakk wylde emg's, there both just sets. The EMG-KH' come with two 81's, or you can get the other set with 81 in the bridge and two EMG S's in the middle and neck. i dont know how you can get the best 'tone" from a set, ussually you judge it on the pickup. But like i was saying the 81's are the best emg's for the bridge hands down and i would never think of putting one in the neck like one of the kh sets.

Soulinsane 2004-07-10 20:38

I always thought it was a waste to put another 81 in the neck, imo. I have heard that some folks like to put an 85 in the bridge and 81 in then neck, kinda a reverse ZW setup. I have never tried this but I heard it gives it more balls.

h4x5k8 2004-07-10 20:39

wierd

DeathCS 2004-07-10 21:11

That kind of makes sence though.

freek666 2004-07-10 21:52

i have an EMG-HZ H4 in my ibanez right now. that pick up isnt that bad. it's very clean and punchy, and not muddy at all.
it's actually a pretty good pick up. harmonics are good and i dont get feedback unless i want it. i still am going to get two 85's and an SA for the guitar though.

G_urr_A 2004-07-11 00:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
I have heard that some folks like to put an 85 in the bridge and 81 in then neck, kinda a reverse ZW setup. I have never tried this but I heard it gives it more balls.

I used to have that, but I had problems with muddiness for my rhythm sounds. Though I do have my amp setup to kinda compensate for me not playing with a bassplayer, so i've got a maybe unneccessarily heavy bottom end to my sound. I've switched them around now, and it sounds better. Clear rhythm, and a little less screechyness on high pitched leads.

xdislexicx 2004-07-11 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by haxsk8
lol yea you just get emg's or duncans or else i think its gonna look really gay, but the 60 is a good neck pickup i have it along with with 81 on my explorer. In my "Cheap Epi LP Custom" i put in a duncan invader bridge and vintage 59 in the neck. Its pretty bad ass.

i like the livewire metal for bridge pos. over the emg81 or 85.
but the 60 is my favorite active neck pu.
i love the tele thinlines... but this pu setup in one sounds fantastic.

h4x5k8 2004-07-11 15:34

Quote:

sweet, i guess whatever floats your boat

BLS 2004-07-11 15:38

Quote:

How are those Live Wires??

Def 2004-07-11 15:46

like EMG's, pretty ballsy but not as sterile as EMG 81's.. I had the idea they had more gain too, but I'm not sure, only played a guitar with livewire's once, played in on the new mesa stilleto so I really can't judge their tone much since that amp was new for me too.

G_urr_A 2004-07-11 15:50

Was the LiveWire as quiet as an EMG?