MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   THE OFFICIAL pinch/artificial harmonic THREAD (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1118)

CtHuLhU DaWn 2002-11-04 18:01

Quote:
Originally posted by G_urr_A
I think there's an important aspect of this that you are missing.
A natural harmonic is performed by forcing the string to vibrate with half it wavelength, or some other integer split. Common "harmonic places" are 5th, 7th, 9th and 12th.
If you fret a string on the (n)th fret, then you can place the "harmonic-finger" on the (n+12)th (or n+5 or n+7 or n+9) fret, to get a proper harmonic. Then there's also the option of forcing a harmonic, ie strumming so hard that you get some sound even though you're not placing your "harmonic finger" on a good spot. This is of course easier with lots of dist and so on.
This also applies for artificial/pinch harmonics. To get a higher pitched squeal, find a 5th or 9th (or whatever) of the strings length (the part that is not stopped by fretting fingers).

I can admit that I learnt how to do artificial harmonics (and succeded in performing them on my acoustic guitar (don't have an electric guitar)) from this thread, but the theoritics about harmonics in general is stuff I learnt ages ago (like 5 years).

Yeah i've Pinched a Nylon string before, it sounds cool, its not loud, but it still works

Ohz 2002-11-11 17:07

does anyone have any sounds of a natural and an artificial harmonic? it would help a lot thx.

CradleOfFilth 2002-11-12 21:36

natural : listen to the begining of Metallica - sanitarium

artificial : pantera- cimetery gates (the "heavy" riff when the guitar screams)

(listen to those songs, while following the tab, it helps to see when)

hope i helped you

mrweijia 2002-11-17 00:27

Quote:
Originally posted by CtHuLhU DaWn
Yeah i've Pinched a Nylon string before, it sounds cool, its not loud, but it still works

the technicalities are the same, i can do it better using 2 fingers than with a pick on nylon strings

+--deifiler--+ 2002-12-02 05:24

a good thing to remember is that natural harmonics mirror, that is, a harmonic on fret 7 is the same as fret 19 (they are both a 3rd division of the neck)

using this, you can learn pinch harmonics easier, i.e. play a natural harmonic at around fret 3.3 (thats inside the fret, hunt around for it)

then transfer this harmonic to the string near the bridge; titll be the same distance from the bridge, as the 3.3 is from the nut

hope this helps! :)

damonta 2002-12-05 16:26

The octave N.H. you get on the 5th fret is twice as high on the 17th fret. 3x the
orignal string

+--deifiler--+ 2002-12-06 04:32

ooo my mistake:angel:

ive seen a chart before that tells you notes of N.H. accross the fretboard... dya know where it is? :>

MeTalManiac555 2002-12-09 19:57

ok.lol

Bones98 2003-01-17 09:23

I can't get the pinch harmonic part from "WHERE THE SLIME LIVE"
I try but doesn't sound exactly like it!!!
And DAMN I DONT HAVE A 7 STRING GUITAR!!

DELETE79 2003-01-20 14:49

Quote:
Originally posted by Bones98

try it at different place over the pick up. the sound change depending if you pick over the bridge or the neck pick up

vileangelofdeth 2003-01-27 12:55

Quote:
And DAMN I DONT HAVE A 7 STRING GUITAR

Trey Azagthoth uses huge bends and crazy vibrato with his harmonics to make them sound that sick. He also does some really crazy techniques with the floyd rose tremolo.

Freezer666 2003-01-27 12:59

when practicing songs that have A.H.'s in them, i sometimes fail and end up with a strange wah-ish half-harmonic sound...which sounds really nice(hehe), anyone know what those are called? its when your finger doesnt touch the string enough and it makes it kinda vibrate

memnoch 2003-01-27 18:38

Natural Harmonics.

corroded 2003-01-31 00:50

try using this technique for that squeaky sound...if you hold the pick in b/w ur thumb & middle finger, then use your index finger to touch the string while picking at the same time...then use a vibrato to pull the harmonic off more effectively......this one is a bit more dificult than the other technique, but far more effective once you master it

Freezer666 2003-01-31 10:37

memnoch: hrm, doesnt sound like one...
ps: this is mostly when bending at the same time

Bones98 2003-02-09 19:48

I can't do that A.H. part in "Secret Face" from Death.....
Its the riff after the flanger effect.....Whats A.H.?
Is it pinch harmonics?
Can anyone show me some links to these harmonic techniques?
I tried cyberfret, but are there any other sites....
I tried guitar.com but evertime I sign up, I don't get my password!!!.........
PLease help with these harmonic techniques....
Thanks in advance!

corroded 2003-02-09 23:47

hey man......a.h is artificial harmonic...same as pinch...i dont think any site can help you with this...you just need to know how to do it & rest will come as you practise...so just go through any site or even this thread to get a basic idea & practise hard...cheers :uzi:

walpurgis 2003-02-10 00:04

Quote:
Originally posted by Bones98

I've been trying to perfect that song for a while now. Heh, needless to say, it's a pain in the ass...especially playing it on a Gibson, lol.

freek666 2003-02-16 23:53

there hard at first but once you get them down there pretty easy. if im lucky i can get a whole string of pinch harmonics going on all the strings on any fret below like 7 or something. the pinch harmonics on the 6th's string is the hardest to do but sounds the weirdest.
:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

ilovebukkake 2003-03-02 12:41

Yeah, it took me quite some time to get to grips with em, but once you get the technique down, it gets way easier. Now my hands kinda remember where to hit the string to get the harmonic depending on where my hands are on the neck :S It's pretty cool.

Memnoch: Thanks for the Idea!! I never really thought of doing them upstroke before - a tremolo picked pinched harmonic riff would sound fucking evil! Im gonna get practicing!