MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Power Tab Corner (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Introducing Powertab (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10155)

INVERTED 2004-03-21 16:35

Introducting Powertab

Alright everyone! The long awaited arival of powertab is finally here! I'm here to help out anybody who has any question or problems using this revolutionary new program. I just want to make it clear that powertab isn't easy to use, so don't become discouraged. Over time you'll master it easily.

First off, you'll need to download the software, which is free by the way. Go here: http://www.power-tab.net/downloads.php

Once you've downloaded the program, I recommend listening to a few of my tabs. This will give you an Idea of how the program works. Secondly, read the "help" menu located in the upper right corner of the powertab screen. This will get you off on the right foot.

The hard part is learning how to use the note durations, tempos, timing signatures, ect. At first this will seem overwhelming. Esspecially if you've never studied musical theory and tablature. This program will teach you it if you don't aready know.

And as I said before, I'm here to ensure your success. So fell free to throw any questions you have at me.

On another note. The tabs you submit MUST be of good quality. If you have any boubts send me the tab prior to submition and I'll see what I can do. You MUST also use the "score checker and score polisher" to ensure there are no score errors. Failure to comply will result in denial of you tab being archived.

:beer: Cheers and welcome to the next generation of tabbing!

The Doctor 2004-03-21 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by INVERTED
I just want to make it clear that powertab isn't easy to use, so don't become discouraged

I think a lot of people do get discouraged and therefor switch to Guitar Pro, wich is (in my eyes) more friendly to use.

not just for writing, but also for learning.

INVERTED 2004-03-21 18:31

Doc, with all do respect, I couldn't disagree more. Guitarpro4 tabs looks like a mess. I don't see how people can even read the things. They tried to reinvert the wheel. If you look at powertab, it's the same EXACT format as authentic tab books (like cherry lane). Guitarpro4 is all out of wack.

As far as being user friendly goes, they are equaly as difficult to learn. The principles are the same though. GTP4 has just been around years longer then powertab and therefore has a head start over powertab. I think that over time more tabbers will come to their senses and switch. Besides, GTP4 cost like $50! Powertab is free.

FearFrost 2004-03-21 19:43

Personaly when I first used the program, I tab out riffs that I knew off by heart, like slayers angel of death, so for first timers the best thing to do is tab out a riff that you know well, and work with it untill it sounds like the real thing.

Nihilist 2004-03-21 23:26

Powertab is a LOT better than Guitar Pro. I've been using it for a few years now.

The Doctor 2004-03-22 08:33

Quote:
Besides, GTP4 cost like $50! Powertab is free.

its free on kazaa ;)

and guitar pro has drums, with makes it also more fun to learn te songs, play-a-long is cool and very educative

INVERTED 2004-03-22 14:00

I don't want to get involved with Kazaa. I love the drum feature of gtp though. Powertab will have it soon too though. I have patience.

nomad 2004-03-22 15:16

By the way James, are you an active member of pt.net community? If you are, do you know if there're any metalheads over there? May be you could recommend MetalTabs to them ;)

INVERTED 2004-03-22 16:39

Nomad, I've been a member for a while now. Most of my tabs are there and I know a number of other people as well. I am going to contact all the ones I've befriended and convert them to dedicated metaltabs members! ;)

I don't think it will be too hard to recruit. Esspecially with all the SUPER ANAL submition rules www.powertabs.net have. Like only being able to have one pending tab at a time. Or "sorry your tab was declined becaues you forgot a chord name." "Sorry resubmit because you missed a key sig." "DECLINED because you forgot to capitalize a word in the title." Oh, you have a "bad" score polish. The bullshit goes on and on. I fell that more people will come here because we have more realistic expectations.

Nihilist 2004-03-22 20:47

I used to be an active member, commenting on tabs and such. I kinda forgot it existed though.

SpiritCrusher 2004-03-22 21:18

Quote:
I don't want to get involved with Kazaa. I love the drum feature of gtp though. Powertab will have it soon too though. I have patience.

Yeah ? Really ? If they're able to put the drum feature as well, Powertab will definitively be the best tabbing program out there.

Corpsevomit98 2004-03-23 12:01

Is there any way to get rid of the disgusting distorted sound they have on there and actually have something that sounds remotely related to metal?

INVERTED 2004-03-23 13:03

What tab are you listening to?

You can chage the guitar midi by clicking on the little red guitat on the top left.

SpiritCrusher 2004-03-23 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsevomit98
Is there any way to get rid of the disgusting distorted sound they have on there and actually have something that sounds remotely related to metal?

I don't think so. It's called MIDI

Nihilist 2004-03-23 16:56

You must have a shitty sound card, Corpsevomit.

Corpsevomit98 2004-03-23 19:26

I have shitty everything, but im talking about when you put your own notes on there.

atifman 2004-03-23 19:28

Microsoft GS Wavetable SW synth sounds the best in powertab

Nihilist 2004-03-23 19:52

Corpsevomit: I know what you are talking about, but the quality of the MIDI depends on your soundcard.

Undying_Hatred 2004-03-24 03:28

yeah click the red guitar, then click on the list that will say acoustic and scroll down to distorted guitar or overdriven guitar

BozoNightmare 2004-03-25 00:30

Inverted: I'm not attacking you personally or anything, but I'd like to make afew points about the Power Tab Editor.

I tried to use PTEditor and found it clumsy. I did not find it very user friendly at all. Also, the whole point of being able to tab something is not to show off your skills, but so others can learn songs. Learning songs is annoying in PTEditor (although watching the notes being highlighted is useful). All I wanted to do was slow down or pause the MIDI playback, or changing the position would have been good; but no, the only way I could slow it down was to use a tempo marker. And they've been rambling on about how they're putting drums in and making a separate power tab player for several years now, and where is it?

On top of that, I have 2 soundcards, a SB16 and another brand new 6.1 channel card, and neither have a MIDI pitch wheel. So all bends and slides are left out in the MIDI playback. (And if you try to look at the specs of cards to see if they have a MIDI pitch wheel, they rarely tell you).

Plus I have also seen some stoopid kids that don't have album recordings of songs, just going and learning off the sound of the power tab. They don't want get caught up in the satanic lyrics, but they want to shred metal on their guitar; now that annoys me. And quite afew power tabs have mistakes I have noticed, so those idiots learn the songs wrong anyway lol.

I admit, the quality and content of a power tab is better than a regular tab, but there are way more normal tabs on the net. I don't think most metalheads want to go through the learning curve of the program, it's just easier to peck away at the keyboard in notepad, and leave some of the detail for the player to fill in. I personally ditched the program, as my timing is good enough to compensate for the inadequacies of regular tabs. But it's good to see that you're trying to expand the collection of power tabs to metal. Maybe when the program is updated, and if more metalheads start tabbing in the program, I might come back and use it one day.