MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2006-03-07, 02:37
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Anybody know about how much a store like Sam Ash or Guitar Center would charge to install new pickups(cost per pickup)?
Thanks.

Old 2006-03-07, 03:28
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornsOfHeaven200
Anybody know about how much a store like Sam Ash or Guitar Center would charge to install new pickups(cost per pickup)?
Thanks.

I'm guessing anywhere from $20 - $40 per. A local shop charged me (back in the day) $25 to install one pickup.

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Old 2006-03-07, 18:47
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

Quick question, are there any Ibanez models which have a Wizard I neck, but with a non-floating bridge?

Old 2006-03-09, 17:48
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

i just checked out the ibanez site and it doesnt seem like it. All the guitars with a wizard neck have edge pro trems and all the guitars with nonfloating bridges have thicker necks

Old 2006-03-11, 03:04
Hippy :)
Metalhead

i was just wondering if theres any difference between the music man OLP MM1 and the peavey evh wolfgang, cause after about 10 mins of lookin at the specs for em, ive just become dumbfounded. so are they the same, or are there any differences?

Last edited by Hippy :) : 2006-03-11 at 03:10.

Old 2006-03-11, 07:28
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_beast
Quick question, are there any Ibanez models which have a Wizard I neck, but with a non-floating bridge?

What about the RG321? Does it have a wizard neck. I know it has a non-floating trem.

Old 2006-03-11, 07:29
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippy :)
i was just wondering if theres any difference between the music man OLP MM1 and the peavey evh wolfgang, cause after about 10 mins of lookin at the specs for em, ive just become dumbfounded. so are they the same, or are there any differences?

maybe post the specs you seen and we could tell you the differences (if any)

Old 2006-03-12, 17:22
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

If i decide to swap my stock pickups for a Dimarzio X2N and PAF Pro, would it fit in my pickup cavity or would i have to unscrew the box type border around the pickup and then install it and reattach the box border. I'm asking because i never changed pickups before.
I attached a pic of it(its pretty blurry but it was the best i could do for now). The arrow points to what i am talking about.
Thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.JPG (7.0 KB, 76 views)

Old 2006-03-12, 19:36
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Dang...that is one blurry freakin pic. I have a X2N/PAFpro combo on one of my guitars. Pickups just mount like any other normal pickup. You have to remove the pickup bracket from the body, mount the pickup in the bracket, then screw back down to the body. Pretty easy to do on your own, it's the soldering that might cause trouble if you haven't done it before, or whatever.

Old 2006-03-12, 20:01
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Cool. Thanks for clearing that up. It does sound easy, but now i just need to get better at soldering and wiring and all that shit.

Old 2006-03-13, 16:25
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Oh yeah, Davie, do you have/use the parallel or coil tap options that come with the X2N? If so how does the parallel thing sound with the PAFpro?

Old 2006-03-13, 20:15
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

I can't say much there. I wired mine stricly series. I might go back later and try a different configuration.

Old 2006-03-13, 22:46
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Oh alright. Because I was planning on having the X2N/PAFpro combo in my H/H guitar wired just in series as you said, since that combo seems to be quite versatile already, but i just wanted to see if you did have it.

Another question. My other guitar's PU config is H/S/S and has a maple neck and body. I am planning on putting an X2N in the bridge. Now, as for the middle and neck positions I am not sure exactly what PU are good for them. But I know i need pickups to match the output of the X2N. So, I think I need to use the Dimarzio DP184 Chopper since they are the highest output single coil sized PU that Dimarzio has. My question is if anybody has ever used the Chopper in the middle or neck postion and how does it sound?

Old 2006-03-24, 05:04
OpethFan
Toast-whore

Tremelo question

I just did a string change, and reset the tremelo so it was all balanced. But the strings seemed tighter. They were the same gauge.
Is it possible that in tightening the claw in the back i increased the strings tension? It also seemed that i had to screw the screws in a lot more than how it was last set, which is strange considering the strings were the same gauge.
I tried setting it again and broke a fucking string.

Think my attitude stinks?? You should smell my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
yeah, one night he (BassBehemoth) came with some GHB and he put it in my drink, when i woke up....i lost my hymen....terrible

Old 2006-03-24, 19:18
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Yeah man, if you tightened the screws more it would definitely make the strings have more tension. But i dont see why the screws had to be tightened more if the guages and everything else were the same though

Old 2006-03-24, 20:43
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

I've had the same shit happen to me. Just on my last string change of one of my Ibanez's, I used the same string size and brand, and the strings pulled tighter thus raising the trem arm higher. There's got to be some other variables in play.

Old 2006-03-27, 05:34
OpethFan
Toast-whore

Yeah fucked if i know, all i know is that to put on the same gauge strings, i had to do a whole lot of tightening on the trem claw for them to be in tune, and they seemed tighter.

I might actually buy .09 - .50 or whatever the gauge is, next time. I read somewhere that is actually the reccomended 'standard' gauge for the guitar

Quote:
yeah, one night he (BassBehemoth) came with some GHB and he put it in my drink, when i woke up....i lost my hymen....terrible

Old 2006-03-27, 21:28
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

My guitar has standard frets(2.7mm) frets so they are pretty low already. I noticed that almost all of the frets are no longer entirely rounded, but more staightened and flat. I can still fret notes without any buzz though. So I was wondering how would i know if i needed to get my guitar refretted and how much would that whole operation cost?

Old 2006-04-06, 19:28
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Another question. I was just checking out various brands of guitar strings and some of them say their strings are "nickel plated" while others are "nickel wound". What's the difference in sound or do they mean the same thing?

Old 2006-04-06, 20:14
JOAMdude
Post-whore

I only have one guitar and it is an ibanez rg ex3 and it is without a tremolo
all these people are talking about divebombs and dumping and crazy vibratos and all this stuff that sounds really fun and really metal. I want to ask if it's worth all the crap you have to go through for a tremmolo and is it even possible to replace a bridge w/ a treamolo. If it is can u guys recommend one for me and all this stuff thx

what does ROFL mean?

Old 2006-04-06, 20:21
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

You can replace a fixed bridge with a OFR trem, but it would require precise routering and other stuff of that nature. If you dont know how to do it yourself you should take it to a luthier, which will cost alot, so I'm told. But IMO its probably better just to buy a guitar with a Floyd in it already. I think its worth having the trem since it opens up a whole bunch of new sounds that can be used.

ROFL=roll on floor laughing I believe

Old 2006-04-06, 20:27
JOAMdude
Post-whore

I am way too broke to buy another guitar

thx anyways its like bringing me news that ill be blind and mute for the rst of my life

Old 2006-04-10, 06:42
Amadeus
Quantum.

I have a technique question that by all likelyhood sounds a bit dumb, but see if I care.

These last few weeks I have started doing my first forays into the wonderful world of true shredding. I was wondering though - many tabs indicate that even on very fast parts, you should pick as normal. However, I often find it bordering on impossible to actually reach the right combination of speed and accuracy with picking, so I put in hammer-ons, pull-ofs and tapping and so on.
Is this the "right" way to do it, or is it simply a matter of me needing to stop whining and cheating and practice my picking technique more?

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2006-04-10, 07:00
Defiant Mind
Senior Metalhead

I find picking every note easier than putting hammer-ons and pull-offs everywhere but I guess that's just me..

But I have a quick question..
The natural harmonics on my guitar (5, 7 ,12) are all equal except for my last string which I have to play over the 6th fret instead of the 5.. What causes this?? My guitar is tuned correctly and everything seems to work fine except for this..

Old 2006-04-12, 17:35
Amadeus
Quantum.

No one out there interested in helping a baby shredder? Oh well, I will just quote myself and see what happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
I have a technique question that by all likelyhood sounds a bit dumb, but see if I care.

These last few weeks I have started doing my first forays into the wonderful world of true shredding. I was wondering though - many tabs indicate that even on very fast parts, you should pick as normal. However, I often find it bordering on impossible to actually reach the right combination of speed and accuracy with picking, so I put in hammer-ons, pull-ofs and tapping and so on.
Is this the "right" way to do it, or is it simply a matter of me needing to stop whining and cheating and practice my picking technique more?

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

Old 2006-04-12, 18:37
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:

stop whining and cheating and practice your picking technique.

Nothing is ever impossible... just look at jason becker and such.

Old 2006-04-18, 12:07
ThspawnofUamenti
New Blood

Ok, i've recently started getting serious about learning how to play the guitar I have came across Airplane spine scrape, what is it and how do I do it.

Old 2006-04-18, 14:37
mortpayne
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThspawnofUamenti
Ok, i've recently started getting serious about learning how to play the guitar I have came across Airplane spine scrape, what is it and how do I do it.

That thing a lot of punk bands use before they go into a riff (haha, more like cliche chord progression)? Basically you just turn your pick sideways and run it across one of the thicker strings with distortion on. Start at the bridge and slide down toward the headstock (or vice versa). Also, you can try putting the tip of your pick between two strings (like the 4th and 5th string) and running down the fretboard, but that might cause the frets to interfere and create a skipping in the sound. So anyway, that's about it.

Old 2006-04-18, 15:07
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThspawnofUamenti

pretty damn serious then

Old 2006-04-19, 07:02
metal_monkey
Post-whore

how the hell does a speedloader work ive seen 1 on a bc rich nj warlock but they dont have tuning pegs or machine heads on the headstock so how are you supposed to tune with one?

Youve made me cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
Metal Monkey: retarded comments galore.

RIP this guy

Old 2006-04-22, 04:34
ThspawnofUamenti
New Blood

thanks man, that airplane spin scrape had me puzzled, your advice did the trick, thanks again

Last edited by ThspawnofUamenti : 2006-04-22 at 04:37.

Old 2006-04-28, 05:32
FesteringCorpse
Metalhead

Unreliable locking tremolo unit

I've got a Jackson V. I recently dropped the tuning from standard e to c and put some heavy guage strings on. Everything was sweet until band practice when i noticed it going slightly out of tune on my d string which pisses me off coz it's met to be a locking tremolo system. Could it be the truss rod? Coz there is more tension with these heavy guage strings. Or is it the tremolo system which says "Jackson" "Liscensed under Floyd Rose" mean that is not a Floyd Rose and a Jackson copy of a Floyd Rose, which could be unreliable. Coz i wanna dive bomb and slay that tremolo system without it going out of tune. Maybe fuck the Jackson unit off for an actual Floyd Rose?

Old 2006-04-28, 06:55
OpethFan
Toast-whore

It means its a copy, a lisenced Floyd, not an origional.

Have you tightened the locking nuts up by the headstock up tight? If you do that it shouldnt be going out of tune

Quote:

Old 2006-04-28, 16:44
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Also, if those strings were just put on, they can still be stretched out even when the locking nuts are tightened. It's just the nature of new strings. The strings should be stretched in a week or so if that is the cause of the problem.

Old 2006-05-12, 12:03
guitariste
Senior Metalhead

hey. what is wrong with my guitar? The notes won't come from right places from upper frets on the highest string. I've checked the intonation with the natural harmonic and pressed sound system, and it was ok. Does it have something to do with the frets? they are a bit worn up from below the exact string. And how much would it cost to replace the frets, if I'll have to? Thanks for any help.

Old 2006-05-15, 11:25
FesteringCorpse
Metalhead

Detuning/ Truss rod

This has probably been asked before but... If You drop your tuning from standard e to c will the truss rod need adjustment? Ive put heavy guage strings on so their is more tension. Also the string action is higher which i don't like coz its harder to sweep pick.

Also can i get some advice on neck pickups i was looking at Seymour Duncan sh1 59. What have you guys got?

Old 2006-05-15, 14:33
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

If you go to a thicker size string, you shouldn't have to adjust the truss rod. You should only have to adjust the spring mount screws located in the back cavity. Your action should be corrected by the mounting studs (if it's a locking trem) or whatever screw they have designed to adjust the height of the bridge. I wouldn't recommend tuning to standard 440 with thicker strings. Also, on neck pickups the 59 is a great one. I have a DiMarzio PAFpro. It's a wonderful neck pickup. I get some excellent warm glassy tone from it.

Old 2006-05-16, 00:36
OpethFan
Toast-whore

I have a truss rod question too.

I noticed my neck is bowed upwards away from the body slightly, i havent dealt with truss rods yet so I need to know what I should do if i were to try fix it? Do I need to remove the strings?

Quote:

Old 2006-05-16, 05:27
FesteringCorpse
Metalhead

Tuning drama

Okay now i have problems. I havn't picked the guitar up for 2 days and when i grabbed it today and done some whammy action it dropped in tuning by 1/2 step on most of the strings what the fucks goin on now. Locking nuts are down tight as hell, what could be causing these serious tuning problems.The only thing i can think of is temperature coz it's real cold this time of year, could that be affecting it.

Thinking of ditching my Jackson made tremolo for a authentic Floyd Rose.

Old 2006-05-16, 05:48
Doktorskell
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FesteringCorpse

Theres your problem.

Licensed floyds suck ass

Old 2006-05-16, 10:47
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

Would OFR tremolos replace a licenced one without any necessary routing?

Old 2006-05-16, 14:17
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethFan
I have a truss rod question too.

I noticed my neck is bowed upwards away from the body slightly, i havent dealt with truss rods yet so I need to know what I should do if i were to try fix it? Do I need to remove the strings?

If you don't like relief the neck has now. I would tighten it about 1/8 of a turn. That would help relax it more level with the body. You don't need to remove the strings at all, as long as you can get the hex head through the gap.

Quote:
Okay now i have problems. I havn't picked the guitar up for 2 days and when i grabbed it today and done some whammy action it dropped in tuning by 1/2 step on most of the strings what the fucks goin on now. Locking nuts are down tight as hell, what could be causing these serious tuning problems.The only thing i can think of is temperature coz it's real cold this time of year, could that be affecting it.

Don't fret! This is common with some licensed floyd rose trems. I'm not sure what you have, but some are not true double locking trems. For example, I have a Ibanez RG 270DX, it has a licensed floyd rose, but the bridge doesn't "clamp" the string down, it just slides in a holder, so when I do whammy stuff, the ball end of the string is allowed to rotate thus knocking me slightly out of tune. Also, the fact that the strings can stretch along with hardware shifting and settling will cause slight detuning. Just compensate with the fine tuners.

Last edited by davie_gravy : 2006-05-16 at 14:21.

Old 2006-05-22, 02:56
estringrev
Supreme Metalhead

I went and played at my annual guitar recital, and my instructor played a song called the "Liber tango".. I wanted to know if anyone knows where I could find a recording for that piece on classical guitar?

Old 2006-05-24, 08:47
FesteringCorpse
Metalhead

fat strings, frett buzz, lower action, c tuning

How do you have a fat string guage tuned to a c, maintaining a low action without frett buzz.

Old 2006-05-24, 14:47
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
How do you have a fat string guage tuned to a c, maintaining a low action without frett buzz.

Regardless of how thick the string gauge is, the string will still rest on the saddle, so the lowest parallel of the string is constant, the gauge just determines how much height or tall it is. Therefore, it will always be the same distance from the bottom of the string to the fretboard. Sorry if that doesn't make much sense.

Old 2006-05-24, 16:30
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Thin strings actually flop around and buzz more than thick strings. This is why putting thicker strings on a guitar with low action can fix fret buzzing. That is IF the guitar is set up correctly with proper relief, nut height, action, the frets are level and the neck isn't warped.

Old 2006-05-28, 15:50
deanguitars
Senior Metalhead

alright on this goddamn lic. floyd rose i have a horribal sounding sqeak coming from the springs every time i pull up on the bastard. this started after i detuned and adjusted the spring tension has anyone every this fucking annoying problem.

Old 2006-05-28, 18:39
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

stuff the back with cotton wool. it will stop the sound from the springs

Old 2006-05-28, 21:27
deanguitars
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3talhead666
stuff the back with cotton wool. it will stop the sound from the springs

thank u man, i'll buy u a round of e beer

Old 2006-05-29, 09:55
FesteringCorpse
Metalhead

New Floyd Rose/practice room setup

Cheers for the advice, it made perfect sense. My guitar obviously needs a proper set up since i have done the modifications myself and i'm not a guitar tech. I'm buying a real Floyd Rose now but there are so many on the market that i don't know which one to get. My axe is a Rhoads style v(ps-37), does anyone know the name of Tremolo system that would fit my axe without having to carve it up.

Also, when your practicing with your band is there a particular way you should have the amps and drums placed in your jam room to achieve optimal sound quality. Thankyou again for good honest advice.

Old 2006-05-31, 15:49
VolVox
New Blood

A friend of mine thinks that playing after removing the G, b and e string might damage the neck because of string tension and stuff. Is that true? In my opinion, the string tension of these strings is rather low, so it should not be a problem.
Yes, he uses only the three lower strings...

Old 2006-05-31, 17:29
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolVox
A friend of mine thinks that playing after removing the G, b and e string might damage the neck because of string tension and stuff. Is that true? In my opinion, the string tension of these strings is rather low, so it should not be a problem.
Yes, he uses only the three lower strings...

The neck will not have distributed tension without all the strings. There is more tension in those missing smaller strings then one might think. Leaving only strings on one side of the neck, tuned up, will put uneven tension on the neck as a whole. With a floating bridge, this will leave you in tuning hell, but no matter what bridge you have, it will help a neck want to warp in the long run. A warped neck may or may not happen, but your chances of developing a warped neck greatly increase without keeping all the strings on the neck.

Try using a piece of tape with the sticky side folded over all 3 of the unused strings, once they are tuned up. One piece at the nut, 12th fret, and bridge should help prevent the strings from being used or making unwanted sound while playing the rest. This will allow one to keep even tension on the neck and bridge while effctively eliminating any sound from the unused strings.

Last edited by Soulinsane : 2006-05-31 at 17:32.

Old 2006-06-01, 14:48
VolVox
New Blood

thank you

I thought of that tape thing too...

Old 2006-06-01, 22:19
mortpayne
Senior Metalhead

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times over, but luckily we have this thread for the smaller questions that aren't worthy of their own thread.
Soooo my dumb ass question is in regard to low tunings. I assume it doesn't matter that I don't have a baritone guitar? I'm sure just about any electric can take it. So I'll just need different strings and some adjustments for action, truss rod, etc, right? Because I'm thinking of tuning to around B and possibly even Bb or A (standard, not drop). I've got 11-52 strings right now -- should I move up a bit in size?

Old 2006-06-01, 22:48
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

It's really a preference thing. If you like it to be tighter when tuning lower you might want to beef up the guage to 13-56. It doesnt matter if you have a baritone, a normal guitar can handle it fine. Others will tell you that you will need to make some adjustments, but I never do that for my guitars (I switch tunings every so often anywhere from standard to A standard, but i always use 13-56 guage strings, and my guitars are fine, no problems).

Old 2006-06-01, 23:04
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpayne
I'm sure just about any electric can take it. So I'll just need different strings and some adjustments for action, truss rod, etc, right? Because I'm thinking of tuning to around B and possibly even Bb or A (standard, not drop). I've got 11-52 strings right now -- should I move up a bit in size?

You nailed it. If you get bigger strings ( to keep the feel tight ) then intonation, action, truss clearance, and nut fitness will be things you will have to adjust. Some things more then others. Nothing really hard to do. Basically, you got the ideal.

Old 2006-06-01, 23:28
mortpayne
Senior Metalhead

Well, I usually have this guy I know at my local music shop make the adjustments for me, as I'd probably fuck things up if I did it myself. So he'll know how to do that kinda stuff. But from past changes, I figured that was about right.

Thornsofheaven made an intersting comment, about making no adjustments when he tunes low. It's intriguing because of its simplicity (not having to fuck with all that), but I've heard that not adjusting those kinds of things when changing tuning (approximately within a step or more) or string gauges can result in warped neck/headstock and some shitty playabilty. But before I knew about adjustments and whatnot, I remember tuning down as low as drop A and not really having a huge problem. Except some floppiness. So I don't know. Maybe it could work.

Old 2006-06-02, 00:21
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Try it out without adjusting anything first. I'm sure it will work ok enough to give you a good ideal of what might need to be adjusted and if you will need bigger strings. With bigger strings these things will need to be checked and adjusted, but being tuned that low for a short time with your current strings will not hurt anything, imo. You just may not have a perfectly setup guitar during that time tuned to A is the worst thing.

Old 2006-06-02, 15:27
mortpayne
Senior Metalhead

Well, I dropped it to B standard last night, played around, and left it like that. Played it some today as well and it seems to be alright. Mostly just really light tension with the strings -- which is kinda cool since it makes it so easy to bend or vibrate and give more life to artificial harmonics. There's a little buzz, but oh well. My eyes are bad with judging though, so I can't really tell how the headstock and neck are doing -- from what it seems everything's fine. But I suppose as long as they aren't visibly warped it should be okay. Thanks for the input. I'll just see how things go from here and decide whether or not to go through with the adjustments.

Old 2006-06-02, 18:26
robbcorpse
New Blood

Newbie guitar player

Hey guys, been a casual lurker for a month now, figured i'd register here and get somewhat active. This seems to be a create community with a lot of positive feedback and good questions.

Now to my question. Just picked up playing guitar about 2 and a half months ago. I enjoy it immencely. I started coming here to look for excersices I should be doing to strenghthen my playing and build a foundation instead of just knowing randomly tabbed songs. So what are some good, easier metal songs to play that you guys would reccommend? What did you guys play when you were starting out?

Old 2006-06-02, 18:47
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

I played alot of metallica, megadeth, slayer, and pantera. There's a sticky thread on easy metal songs to play.

Old 2006-06-02, 18:48
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Try Brain Removal Device by Cannibal Corpse especially that bit at the end.

Old 2006-06-02, 19:01
Unanything
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbcorpse
Hey guys, been a casual lurker for a month now, figured i'd register here and get somewhat active. This seems to be a create community with a lot of positive feedback and good questions.

Now to my question. Just picked up playing guitar about 2 and a half months ago. I enjoy it immencely. I started coming here to look for excersices I should be doing to strenghthen my playing and build a foundation instead of just knowing randomly tabbed songs. So what are some good, easier metal songs to play that you guys would reccommend? What did you guys play when you were starting out?

Fear Factory's Replica is good. The first thing I set out to do was build a good picking picking technique and get my powerchord together seventeen-and-a-half months ago. I was quickly able to build up alternate picking and was tremolo picking with decent speed in a month or so. I don't know if it was a case of fast development or what, because I've advanced far beyond many guitarists who've played guitar much longer than me, but dedication and enjoyment sure helped.

Since you're enjoying it a lot, and are hopefully dedicated to it, you should develop quickly and with some speed I think.
Fear Factory were my favourites at the time I got my first guitar, so it was a case of imitating my idols. I wanted to reproduce those fast bursts of muted notes. You may wish to try and imitate your own. I still think though Fear Factory's a good start for technique.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2006-06-02, 19:09
robbcorpse
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unanything
Fear Factory's Replica is good. The first thing I set out to do was build a good picking picking technique and get my powerchord together seventeen-and-a-half months ago. I was quickly able to build up alternate picking and was tremolo picking with decent speed in a month or so. I don't know if it was a case of fast development or what, because I've advanced far beyond many guitarists who've played guitar much longer than me, but dedication and enjoyment sure helped.

Since you're enjoying it a lot, and are hopefully dedicated to it, you should develop quickly and with some speed I think.
Fear Factory were my favourites at the time I got my first guitar, so it was a case of imitating my idols. I wanted to reproduce those fast bursts of muted notes. You may wish to try and imitate your own. I still think though Fear Factory's a good start for technique.

Hey sweeet. Thanks for the advice guys. This one especially. I had been doing just straight down picking until about a week ago when I was lurking here and read how alternate picking can really REALLY boost speed. My technique is quite poor as you can imagine of just a week of it. Werking on it though. I'm a fan of Cradle of Filth and I think they play pretty quick so if I have a shot at them, better build it up huh

I'll look into Fear Factory as it sounds like a good idea, especially for speed.

Old 2006-06-02, 19:48
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Yeah try some of the old cradle stuff it was alot cooler. And it is alot more fun too.

Old 2006-06-04, 01:50
FesteringCorpse
Metalhead

If you like cradle you must master tremolo picking. Rest your palm on the bridge and play down,up,down,up on any note(s) you want but try to stay relaxed and don't tense up. Find the tab for Ebony dressed for sunset that has some fast tremolo picking bits. It's good to get a metronome and practice it at a slow speed to build accuarcy and speed it up over time. When i was young i just shredded the notes without thinking of how many notes i was actually playing and when i crossed strings while tremolo picking i was very sloppy. So i bought a metronome and played it half speed till my technique was better and increased speed over time. I found i could play it much cleaner.

Old 2006-06-06, 19:38
JOAMdude
Post-whore

I'm thinking of making my squier strat really nice by putting in new nut, tuners, bridge, frets(?), and pickups:

First off: can none of you please not post any links to project guitar or new forums and just anwer the question?. Thank you

I just have some quistions:

Can you put humbuckers into a SC (single coil) guitar by making a bigger cavidty and cutting some of the pickguard (or just baying a new pickguard)?

&

Can you get a luthier to cut a cavity into the original bridge cavity for a trem like a Floyd Rose?

Old 2006-06-06, 19:49
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAMdude

Can you put humbuckers into a SC (single coil) guitar by making a bigger cavidty and cutting some of the pickguard (or just baying a new pickguard)?

Yes, very easy. Like you said, all that needs to happen is that the pickup fits and can be mounted. For a strat, there might be room enough for humbuckers behide the pickguard, but the pickguard will have to have bigger holes cut for them. The pups can be mounted to the pickguard once a bigger hole is cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAMdude
Can you get a luthier to cut a cavity into the original bridge cavity for a trem like a Floyd Rose?

Yes again, put you might need a new paint job after this is done.

Old 2006-06-06, 19:51
JOAMdude
Post-whore

thax a lot but i dont really know what you mean when your talking about the pup part

Old 2006-06-06, 19:52
JOAMdude
Post-whore

nevermind what i jsut said

Old 2006-06-17, 23:00
trepidation
New Blood

Heres A Question
Why is Chriss Ammot so underated :P
cuz come one
his little lead burts are better then 90 percent of michaels solos
especially in dead eyes see no future
that bitch is insane
then u have michael
with a shitty litt 8th note style solo practically

Old 2006-06-18, 20:14
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Does anybody now a company that makes good quality gig bags for odd shaped guitars, like a Dean ML? I was wondering because my gig bag for my Washburn Dime guitar is falling apart and I'm looking for a new one, but cant find any that will fit.

Old 2006-06-18, 20:24
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

ebay should have it.

Old 2006-06-21, 11:58
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornsOfHeaven200
Does anybody now a company that makes good quality gig bags for odd shaped guitars, like a Dean ML? I was wondering because my gig bag for my Washburn Dime guitar is falling apart and I'm looking for a new one, but cant find any that will fit.

warwick rockbag
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+

Old 2006-06-21, 23:48
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Cool. Thanks, man.

Old 2006-06-23, 23:42
MorbidGuitar
Post-whore

Ibanez RG 7 string, hardly used for $400 CDN, good deal?

Old 2006-07-02, 08:21
Amadeus
Quantum.

Probably, at least if you like it after some extensive testing.

A couple of questions about bends:
Is there a standard as to how bent a full bend is, or is it just a matter of keeping on trying until it sounds good?
Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid getting caught up in the other strings when bending the high e-string far?

- Carl Sagan

Old 2006-07-02, 22:17
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

The bending all depends on the size strings you use and the tuning. Using your ear is all you have to tell. When I bend, say bending with my ring finger, I'll bar my index gently against the strings around it just enough to mute any unwanted notes. Kinda like when you play a octave power chord muting the middle string...

Old 2006-07-19, 17:18
active corpse fucker
Senior Metalhead

hello there

just a quick question about technique when tremolo picking and chords. When i do it i keep my pick point to my left knee (right handed guitarist) and and keep my wrist and hand straight. I see a lot of guitarists tremolo pick with the pick facing their left shoulder. I have had no problems with pain or anything and can play over 200bpm but i was wondering if this would be damaging in years to come. A fucked up technique leads to fucked up playing 90% of the time. When I play chords at a similar speed i have to bend my wrist to do so. Am I just being paranoid or do i need to relearn some techniques?

Any advice would be appreciated

Old 2006-07-19, 19:39
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Probably, at least if you like it after some extensive testing.

A couple of questions about bends:
Is there a standard as to how bent a full bend is, or is it just a matter of keeping on trying until it sounds good?
Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid getting caught up in the other strings when bending the high e-string far?

Well, I use my electronic tuner to figure out how far up I have to bend for it to be full bend. What Davie said was right, it depends how thick your strings are, tuning and stuff like that. For instance, when playing my X-20 which is in standard tuning stringed with a set of 13s the most I can really bend is just about a half step. But on my other guitar, I'm in C# with 10-52(for now) and I can bend 2 to 2 1/2 full steps.

Old 2006-07-20, 14:17
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by active corpse fucker
hello there

just a quick question about technique when tremolo picking and chords. When i do it i keep my pick point to my left knee (right handed guitarist) and and keep my wrist and hand straight. I see a lot of guitarists tremolo pick with the pick facing their left shoulder. I have had no problems with pain or anything and can play over 200bpm but i was wondering if this would be damaging in years to come. A fucked up technique leads to fucked up playing 90% of the time. When I play chords at a similar speed i have to bend my wrist to do so. Am I just being paranoid or do i need to relearn some techniques?

Any advice would be appreciated

I would think even if it wasn't "proper" technique, once you got used to it and comfortable (doing 200bpm) with it, it wouldn't be anymore damaging than doing it "proper." That's just my assumption...

Old 2006-07-21, 04:35
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

I was wondering......if you had a cheap...say....$200 guitar and you put a dimebucker in the bridge, while leaving the neck pick up as the same crappy stock PU, would your guitar sound amazing through a good amp as long as you just never used your neck pickup?
Compare these people to the norm, say, Muhammed Suiçmez for instance who seems to think that lots of poorly strung together riffs spaced awkwardly around fancy monotonous sweeps covers up the fact that his ideas and songs are really quit boring.

Old 2006-07-21, 05:13
Amadeus
Quantum.

There's more to the sound of an electric guitar than pickups and amps, and not using - or being able to use - the neck pickup is a big loss; especially for solos. So if you're going to make a change I'd say you should change all of them.

- Carl Sagan

Old 2006-07-21, 15:57
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

It will make a HUGE difference just putting in a good pup on a shit guitar. I know... I've done it to many.

Old 2006-07-21, 22:03
MorbidGuitar
Post-whore

The neck pickup is the only one i use, so i guess that depends on the player.

Old 2006-07-22, 01:52
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

I was thinking of buying a Jackson JS30KV King V(which has a store price of $300) from my friend who will give it to me for 210. It has a dimebucker in the bridge. Assuming everything else with teh guitar holds up, would this be a wise idea? ( I never find myself using the neck pickup anyway)
Compare these people to the norm, say, Muhammed Suiçmez for instance who seems to think that lots of poorly strung together riffs spaced awkwardly around fancy monotonous sweeps covers up the fact that his ideas and songs are really quit boring.

Last edited by Blood Red Bass : 2006-07-22 at 02:26.

Old 2006-07-22, 07:20
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Sounds like a score as long as there's nothing badly wrong with it.

Old 2006-07-25, 20:34
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I was re-stringing my Dime 332 and after I finished i was going to correct the intonation since i changed guages. But then I noticed that the intonation screws on the tuneomatic bridge are facing the bridge pickup which make it seem nearly impossible to change unless I take off the strings. So now im not sure how i can intonate my guitar unless I take the strings off, and use a trial and error method to intonate, which seems to me to be very difficult. Is there an easier way to intonate my guitar with that bridge?

Old 2006-07-26, 19:03
ShroudOfSerpents
New Blood

I got a question for you guys. I was looking at some pictures of Dime playing and in a lot of them it looks like he puts electrical tape on the sides of his neck pickup. Does this do something to the tone?

Old 2006-07-26, 20:29
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

nope. just looks cool or something.

Old 2006-07-26, 22:28
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

I think he does it because it helps keep it pick from getting caught up in the sides of the pickup or something like that.

Old 2006-08-03, 00:08
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Does anyone have one of those Joe Satriani signature guitars, or have experience playing one? From what i gathered on ibanez's website, the lowest model is a JS100 but a new one still fetches a price of around $800. I might save up for one if it seems worth it.

Old 2006-08-03, 01:17
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShroudOfSerpents
I got a question for you guys. I was looking at some pictures of Dime playing and in a lot of them it looks like he puts electrical tape on the sides of his neck pickup. Does this do something to the tone?

He put tape on the neck pickup to prevent the strings from hanging up when he would drive bomb. It has happened to me before with passive pickups. I have never had the problem with EMGs though. Its a very practical fix for people that have floppy strings that like to hang up on the sides of a neck pickup.

Last edited by Soulinsane : 2006-08-03 at 01:19.

Old 2006-08-03, 06:02
Amadeus
Quantum.

Excuse me but - "hang up" on the neck pick up?

- Carl Sagan

Old 2006-08-03, 12:47
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Yeah. When you use the wammy and drive down really far the strings ( the E strings ) can become so slack and floppy that they can move away from the front of the pickup. The real problem begins when you let go of the wammy bar and the strings come back into tune and have tension again. The strings may get caught under the edge of the pickup unless there is something to prevent it ( tape works the best so far ). Not everyone gets this problem with strings being caught on the side of the neck pickup. It all depends on the way you play and the setup of the guitar.

Old 2006-08-03, 14:26
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
Yeah. When you use the wammy and drive down really far the strings ( the E strings ) can become so slack and floppy that they can move away from the front of the pickup. The real problem begins when you let go of the wammy bar and the strings come back into tune and have tension again. The strings may get caught under the edge of the pickup unless there is something to prevent it ( tape works the best so far ). Not everyone gets this problem with strings being caught on the side of the neck pickup. It all depends on the way you play and the setup of the guitar.

Ahh that makes sense.

Old 2006-08-03, 20:46
Amadeus
Quantum.

I think I need to see that to truly understand, but I get the idea, thanks.

- Carl Sagan

Old 2006-08-04, 02:59
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
I think I need to see that to truly understand, but I get the idea, thanks.

Just pull one of your E strings to the side of your neck pickup and you will see it.

Old 2006-08-15, 03:22
FesteringCorpse
Metalhead

What type of Ibanez's did Carcass used to play?

And what scale and harmony gives that european metal flavour like Children of Bodom and just about all power metal.

Last edited by FesteringCorpse : 2006-08-15 at 03:58.

Old 2006-08-15, 14:29
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
What type of Ibanez's did Carcass used to play?

And what scale and harmony gives that european metal flavour like Children of Bodom and just about all power metal.

Carcass played Ibanez? Killer!

To get that sound, explore the Aeolian mode. Also look at diatonic 3rds, 4ths, and 5ths for a real strong harmony.